Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Nightime possum

1489 28
Following on from the earlier thread, I thought I'd share this with you (now that I know how to attach pictures).

The possums all came out of one tree (dragged together for the photo opportunity) and were 25-30yard shots. The hare was 50-60yards and "makin tracks" at the time.
You can get an idea of the range in fur colour, and these are what I would call medium-sized.

Oh yeah ... Winchester .22WMR Supremes "rock" :eek:
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
740 Posts
Ok Im from Northern Minnesota where we aint got none of those do-dads. But isnt that a rabbit on bottom?

Dean_311

· Registered
697 Posts
I love your movies.

Groucho,

What do you use to light'em and sight'em in the dark?

I have mounted a Streamlight scorpion and a Beamshot laser on a .22 lever gun to use for night time varmint pests.

Regards & good shooting.

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ledbetter,
hmmm I'm not THAT old ! :p

I use a Lightforce scope-mounted 75w spotlight to light 'em:
http://www.lightforce.net.au/products.html

and a TASCO WORLD CLASS Lighted Recticle 3-9X40 scope to sight 'em, which I got from an EXCELLENT supplier (and a really nice guy too) :t :
http://www.gungoodies.com/scopes.html

We've got a local manufacturer who turns out a really good (and cheap) laser: http://www.hotshotsights.com/lasersights.html
One off the guys I hunt with has one & thinks very highly of it, but I'll stick with the illuminated scope just now.

I'm going to be working on my rifles over the weekend (new goodies to install - thanks to Matt @ Stafford Arms), so I'll take some pix & post them.

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Antlurz,
hmmm ... I guess I should have cleared that one up.

The corpse in question is in fact a HARE.

We have rabbits as well, but they're generally about 1/3 to 1/2 smaller than the hare in question.

I guess I should also mention that I've personally seen (but not shot) hares that were almost TWICE the size of this one! :eek:

The environment was completely different of course - this critter was open farmland/brush raised, and the BIG buggers were in a "protected" coastal forest.
The first time I saw these things, I thought they were small dogs ... until they moved (hopped) that is. Everytime I've been back to that forest since then, there's been more & more of them - funny how that happens when there's no hunting allowed :p

· Registered
16,533 Posts
Groucho,
They'll end up like a herd of goats. They'll eat everything they can reach & denude the forest, then there'll be a bounty on them. End up like I saw the rabbits in AU, on TV. **** things were running everywhere, Sheep herders hate them.

· Registered
697 Posts
Last night I shot an elephant in my pajamas

Serious bunny-location hardware. Do you carry the battery pack around for the spotlight? I'm sorry, but I can't help thinking that all you'd need to look like Bill Murray in "Caddy Shack" would be a parabolic microphone mounted on your hat and hooked up to your stereo Peltors or whatever.

:D :D :D

· Registered
740 Posts
Ok enough talk about hares and wabbits.

I want to know why it is the pictures? What the heel does that have to do with possums.????

Dean_311

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry guys ... _I remembered_ to take the pix, but _forgot_ to bring the camera to work :eek:

Ledbetter;
yep, serious hardware ... I have a back-pack with the spotlight battery in it (and a CamelBack, and 200 _extra_ rounds), so I do tend to look a little like Bill Murray. It get's better yet, because my battery has TWO leads - one to "feed" the spotlight, and one to be FED by a car's cigarette lighter. (I'll take a pic of this as well)

Dean;
Chill dude - it's just a picture ! :cool:

Seeing as you asked, the Hare is in this pic because the ORIGINAL intention of the picture was to demonstrate to another RFC member the effectiveness of the Winchester Supremes, but (in one of those X-files moments) I happened across the pic at the same time the Possum thread was running AND I'd just learned how to post pix !
Now you know :D

· Registered
686 Posts
RE: CZ

Ledbetter, please check your email. I tried to reply to your email but got an error message.

Thanks.

Update: tried to send you a reply using another email account and also got an error message regarding your address.

:(

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ledbetter,

Apologies for the quality - I'm new to this digital camera thing & hadn't realized how much "camera-shake" comes through.
This is the best of a bad bunch.

Yes, that's a silencer on the end (legal here) - plastic, perforated, with sound-deadening material AND baffles (seems pretty effective so far).
Not really shown, but there's a thumb-operated switch just under the ocular end of the scope for the spotlight.
The "box of tricks" taped to the top of the battery houses a relay and a capacitor, which ;
a) the relay allows the battery to be run WHILE charging from an external source (anything with a cigarette lighter)
b) the capacitor allows that external source to be plugged/unplugged without cutting off the light
Sounds like a lot of palaver I know, but it works really REALLY well when you're hopping on & off a shooting wagon (that's a whole 'nother story)

Anyway, enough of that, here you go ...

· Registered
697 Posts
Impressive, pretty much what I had in my mind's eye. Please don't tell me it's legal there to make up your own sound suppressor and fit it to your gun. I'll turn green with envy, as I have always wanted to do such experiments myself.

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ledbetter,
my first inclination was to post a reply "Color me GREEN", but then I decided I'd better make sure of my facts first.

Well, after wasting the better part of a day getting no to nonsense answers I decided I'd answer as best as I can:

Legal Disclaimer = ON
I am NOT entirely sure that what I'm about to say is LEGALLY correct, and I've been unable to verify it so far, but to the best of my knowledge ....

YES, here in NZ we CAN "experiment" with designing & making suppressors for PERSONAL use. I think it just gets sticky when you get to the manufacture & sale end of the process.
Although why you'd want to is another question again as the unit on my rifle cost NZ$60 RETAIL, and there's quite a few different designs available (in different materials even, like aluminum); slip on, screw on, large, small, colors etc etc. The most expensive are the whole/perforated barrel jobs, but we can (personally/indivdually) even import the best designs available from overseas - yes even the 'states but more often from Europe or Australia

Hey, we can still buy dynamite over the counter WITHOUT a licence ! :t

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.