Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone have one of these ,I was thinking about getting it for a while .
does it work , any other opinions.22 target ammo readily available in my area is wintcester target in the silver gray box, kinda pricey 50$

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wish I could say I thought of it, but someone else came up with the idea of using a .223 case and calipers. Simply insert the 22LR cartridge nose first into the neck of the .223 case, then measure the overall length with calipers. The difference in measurement between the empty case and the case with the 22LR in it is the rim thickness. I have tried this, and it works very well, with the measurements being very repeatable.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
With that method and or using the neil jones tool dont know exactly how to say but is ammo measuring longer \thicker rim thickness shoot better ?, orr measuring lots with different thickness will shoot consistent groups ???. What would shoot a tighter group longer or shorter ,proably has something to do with headspace ???

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have long been a proponent of rim gagues. If you do a serch on this site for rim gague you will find a thread on this process and this gague. Many say that Eley Tenx does not need rim gagueing. They are correct. But is their ammo worth 23 cents a round? I had the same consistancy with rim gagued Winchester Dynapoints as I did with Eley. You can rim gague a case of 5000 while watching a pre season football game and that is a $900 savings over 5000 rounds of Eley Tenx.

Bob

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried the 223 case method mentioned above i just measured 20 rounds of remington eley ltd and i am getting a total with 22 inserted in the 223 case lenght of 1.7905 to 1.7915 does that sound like a spread of( havent worked a caliper in years ) 10 thousands and does that make that much of a difference most of them were 1.7910

·
Registered
36 Posts
That spread represents a one one-thousandth of an inch (1/1000 inch) and I would think that about as good as you are going to get. Pretty close to the limits of what can be measured using either setup.

Eley is good stuff though, so for perspective, grab a bulk box of ammo (those 550 packs) and measure a few of those. I don't remember the exact results I got when I did this, but I believe the spread was more on the order of 3 to 4 thousandths.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.