Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Nice Wood / FS

800 18
Man I want a FS so badly i can almost taste it. no one around here stocks Czs and I'd like a nice peice of wood.To order one is a crap shoot, and none of you guys ever sell the really nice ones:D :D I just asked my man at the shop to see if he can find some one who could cherry pick a nice one:rolleyes: like that will happen..Same old ,i'll fall on to one when I',m broke. Mean while I'll keep looking at all the nice stuff on here.--JMJ--
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Call Darryl

Mossberg man I relate. I had it bad for an FS last year. Luckily, the cure was within reach. You could call Darryl Whittaker at Whitakker Guns, and ask him to look through his stock for you. He's a nice guy and he might do it. The other place people talk about is CDNN, but I don't know those guys. My FS has pretty plain wood, and I bought it off a rack, but it's still my favorite rifle in my safe. If you can find an FS with nice wood, I say go for it man!

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
My FS is a shooter but has rather plain wood. It would be nice if it had a highly figured stock but it doesn't. However, I got it for a very good price - new - as the local gentry don't like Mannlicher stocks and mine had sat on the dealer's shelf at least three years.

Given a choice between a great shooter with a plain stock and a poor shooter with a drop dead gorgeous stock, I'll take the great shooter every time. Of course, with a CZ your chances of getting a poor shooter are pretty low.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Whittaker guns will tell you they won't do that because they will only ship you a sealed box- that way it's fair for everybody. At least that is what they told me last week, I went ahead and put my money in the lottery....I'm happy!!!!!!!! I'll post up pics tonight. It's not a FS but oh man is it purty!

·
X-Mod
18,520 Posts
I have heard of Whittakers bending their rule before, so it never hurts to ask. :)

I asked my dealer to ask his distributer to hand pick one, but he told me not to get my hopes up. Anyway, I ended up with an unusual piece of wood. It has some stripes mainly on the top portion of the buttstock and the grain under that curves into the rest of the stock with some more interesting grain down the forestock. It's kind of strange, but I like it! :bthumb:

·
Registered
10,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used to work sales for the distrubutor he gets his guns from ,but alot has changed since then. all the top brass have retired etc or I'd have no problem having some one take care of finding a nice one.As a rule thats not done .Too many dum nuts opening boxes leeds to the chance of dinged guns etc. So it's not a practice that happens easly.. just crossing my fingers:t --JMJ--

·
X-Mod
18,520 Posts
Thanks for the compliment KAZ.

varminatorII,

That wood on yours isn't too shabby. It has some nice stripes in the buttstock along with some nice looking grain down the forestock. :t

She looks like a beauty to me, but they always seem nicer in person. :)

Is that the Williams CZ receiver sight on yours? ...the one that works with the existing front sight?

·
Registered
487 Posts
You may be pleasantly surprised with the wood of a 452 FS stock if you have the perseverance to strip all the muddy factory finish from it. At least with mine, that is finally down to bare wood. I found good figure at the wrist, and in the butt area. This weekend I will begin to build up a nice clear finish to bring out the figure and grain that is now visible.
Don't give up, the factory finish hides more quality than it brings out.

Roger

·
Registered
10,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You may be pleasantly surprised with the wood of a 452 FS stock if you have the perseverance to strip all the muddy factory finish from it. At least with mine, that is finally down to bare wood. I found good figure at the wrist, and in the butt area. This weekend I will begin to build up a nice clear finish to bring out the figure and grain that is now visible.

Roger
Hope you have before and after pic for ua all to see.:t --JMJ--

·
Registered
609 Posts

Roger
What are you useing to strip the factory finish, and build up a clear finish? Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.