Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate some suggestions regarding .22 auto pistols. I already own a Mk II and a Buck Mark Field. They are awesome pistols, each has their advantages and disadvantages.

I would like to try something a little different this time around (tax refund coming). I've been considering the Trailslide (hammerli, I think?) or the offering from EAA. I have no experience with either. I've heard both good and bad about both.

Thanks for the suggestions.

steve

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I have one of the Target Trailsides with 6" barrel and target sights. It'll shoot 1/2" groups with Lapau Midas M at 25 yards of sandbags with a red dot sight on it. The test target is one hole at 25 meters!!! The magazines are hard to come by I hear and they're expensive--but these things shoot. The pistol is very light--I like a heavy High Standard better--but that's just me--the SIG has the accuracy if you can hold it still--and it has a very good trigger.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I have only seen three, and my brother and myself own two of them. I saw the other at a Gun Show in Charlotte, N.C. about two years ago. I've seen them advertised in Gun List--but you just don't see many of 'em for some reason--mayber the price--I paid 475.00 for my target w/--6" barrel. That was the only 6" I'd seen or seen since--my brother's is the 4" barrel.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have a lot of fun with my S&W 617 10 shot revolver.
I shoot a little slower when I'm using it.
Nice to shoot but the weight of it gets to me after awhile.

·
Registered
518 Posts
OnTarget said:
The trailside is made by SIG.
Yep, sure 'nuff. But Hammerli was involved in the base design. So, you both were correct.

Have you considered a S&W 41? A bid spendy, but a tremendously accurate pistol, finely crafted, great trigger.

Zirc

·
Registered
60 Posts
In regards to who makes the Trailside; I'm looking at mine right now. On the right side of the slide it reads " Hammerli made in Switzerland. On the left side it reads " Sig Arms Inc. Exeter-NH-USA". The pistol is MADE by Hammerli and IMPORTED by Sig. It is very similar to a Hammerli 208. Mine is a competition model with ergonomic grips and a barrel weight. I payed 650 for mine but I saw one at a gun show last weekend for 605. magazines are easily available from Larry Carter at Larry's Guns for 23 dollers each. I also have a 41 SW. Both guns are very accurate, have nice triggers and are very well made. The trailside is cheaper to buy but the dot sight must be removed for cleaning. The 41 ia more expensive but the dot sight stays on when you field strip it. It would be hard to go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I shoot two different indoor bullseye leagues during the winter. In one league there's a guy shooting an EAA in Master class. In the other league there's a guy shooting one in the Expert class(where he regularly whips my butt). Both guys speak very highly of their guns and their scores speak for themselves. I've seen the Master shoot 870's and the Expert shoot 850's. Hard to beat for the money.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I love my Smith 41. Heavy, solid gun, best factory trigger I've ever touched, good factory grips, very good adjustable sights, you don't have to buy any aftermarket parts, accurate, built like a tank and you can shoot for years without a problem. What's to not like about this gun? You get one and you don't need another 22 pistol, at least that's the way I feel.

I only have one 22 rifle and one 22 pistol, but I'm happy with the ones I got. I bought my 41 used about two years ago for $500 plus tax. It was made in 1978, its in very good shape.

I haven't spent a dime on it till last week, about $20 for stuff to refinish the grips, now they're real pretty!

Favorite shooting - clay pigeons at 60 yds, standing position, two hand hold. Sometimes I get it in one shot, sometimes it takes as many as ten shots, but it is a real challenge and a lot of fun.

My .02

Rich

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the replies. I checked into the trailside a little more. Local shop can get them. Target model will run less than $500. Sound like a good price? I sill would like to price a EAA, though.

steve

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also have a Trailside. I don't know how it will do as a target pistol, mine is a plinker. 4" bbl, fixed sights and a set of walnut grips I made for it. As a plinker it's the cat's meow.

For my target pistol I have a S&W 46 (the cheap version of the 41 made in the 60's). Shoots like a dream. I just recently found this site and decided to get into rimfire target shooting so I haven't had a chance to wring this one out yet. With full target grips it shoots wonderfully though.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I am looking for a semi-auto pistol in 22 also. I don't really feel comfortable getting the Ruger Mark II or Walther P22 since they are so cheap. With a budget of about $500 it seems like the Trailside is just about right. Too bad they look atrocious! The S&W are well over $500 as are the Kimber Rimfire series.

Speaking of Rimfire, anyone check these out?

Any other suggestions around this price range?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.