Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Premium Member
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Late to this shindig, but very nice rifle. Any update, how are the groupings, favorite ammo?
WindShooter: Thus far it likes Center X and SK Match on the Lapua side and Edge and Match on the Eley side. Group shooting at 50 yards is under mid .3's for five shots "when the gun and I get comfortable with each other" and a bit less sometimes.

Reactions: thebeav

· Premium Member
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
@huntschool Under mid .3’s, that sounds mighty fine. Thanks for that update. Enjoy that beauty and shoot it often🤓👍
WindShooter: Thanks. I plan on spending some quality time with this gun once our weather stabilizes a bit. It shoots, as they say, "better than I do" so there is room, so to speak, for more improvement and consistency.

· Registered
73 Posts
WindShooter: Thanks. I plan on spending some quality time with this gun once our weather stabilizes a bit. It shoots, as they say, "better than I do" so there is room, so to speak, for more improvement and consistency.
I know how it goes. The human element is always present; the challenging art to be in synch with your rifle, to work with it and not against it. She’s a thoroughbred and will perform when needed 👍

· Premium Member
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I’ve never owned or even shot a Cooper. From your experiences, are they typically consistent shooters?
Gary O’Neal:
I only own two in .22 LR. This LVT and a Jackson Squirrel. Both are very consistent shooters through my experience. The JS shoots Eley Sub Sonic Hollow Points at .300 or sometimes better at 25 yards (minute of squirrel head) as that is my usual squirrel distance.

The LVT shoots Lapua Center X and above and some SK at .300 and under at 50 yards from bags. It also seems to want to do well with Eley Match, but I have not worked with that ammo much as yet. I have replaced the trigger in the LVT with a 6oz Jard and plan to go to a 4oz spring. The LVT is somewhat sensitive to body contact. In the present condition it likes to be "held or cuddled" if you will. Not free or light shoulder contact.

I have found, with just these two Cooper rifles, that their performance is well within their suggested level. The test target for the LVT shot a one hole 5 shot group @ 50 yards with Eley Match. I have not been able to quite replicate that.

You should know, I am a secondary market buyer. I have never purchased a rifle directly from Cooper.

· Registered
15,065 Posts
Gary O’Neal:
I only own two in .22 LR. This LVT and a Jackson Squirrel. Both are very consistent shooters through my experience. The JS shoots Eley Sub Sonic Hollow Points at .300 or sometimes better at 25 yards (minute of squirrel head) as that is my usual squirrel distance.

The LVT shoots Lapua Center X and above and some SK at .300 and under at 50 yards from bags. It also seems to want to do well with Eley Match, but I have not worked with that ammo much as yet. I have replaced the trigger in the LVT with a 6oz Jard and plan to go to a 4oz spring. The LVT is somewhat sensitive to body contact. In the present condition it likes to be "held or cuddled" if you will. Not free or light shoulder contact.

I have found, with just these two Cooper rifles, that their performance is well within their suggested level. The test target for the LVT shot a one hole 5 shot group @ 50 yards with Eley Match. I have not been able to quite replicate that.

You should know, I am a secondary market buyer. I have never purchased a rifle directly from Cooper.
Perhaps I was an active buyer in a different era, but I don’t know anyone who bought directly from Cooper.
Back in the day, The Outdoorsman in PA had lots of Coopers, as did Hendershot’s in MD,
I always enjoyed visiting The Guild in NJ, and seeing about 35 on the wall.

· Premium Member
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Perhaps I was an active buyer in a different era, but I don’t know anyone who bought directly from Cooper.
Back in the day, The Outdoorsman in PA had lots of Coopers, as did Hendershot’s in MD,
I always enjoyed visiting The Guild in NJ, and seeing about 35 on the wall.
Camster: Where was/is the Guild, in NJ ? I grew up in Bergen County just south of the NY line.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts