Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a month or so I should finally have my FAC. Everyone at my club has Ruger 10/22's and I fancy somthing different.

Any suggestions? And why!

·
Registered
726 Posts
What do you plan on doing with it? Be specific. If there are any shooting disciplines you're interested in, list them. Benchrest, Running Boar, Metalic Silhouette, Rimfire "Tactical" shooting, Varmit Hunting, etc.
What kind of action do you want? Semi Auto, Pump, Bolt, Lever, Falling Block, etc.
Are fast follow up shots important to you?
What is your budget like?

Special considerations, does it have to be Stainless Steel? Do you prefer wood or synthetic stocks?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was Quick!

Hi,

I'm going to be using the rifle mainly for practicle rifle shooting, freestanding at targets from 5-25 metres. usually about 10 shots with a compulsory clip change. Most people at my club use 'red dot' sights

I will also occaisonally be doing some rabbit hunting. I will probably get a scope for this.

I'm looking to get a basic rifle and then customise it as I learn what I like, I find the 10/22's a bit small and light but that's probably due to 18 years with a HW35 Air Rifle

many thanks

·
Registered
327 Posts
My vote is for the CZ 452!

And...welcome to the forum. (not being an actual member, I don't know if I have the right to welcome you or not, but it is always nice to see another airgunner).

·
Registered
726 Posts
Ok, I know of a "Practical Shooting" rimfire game that if I'm not mistaken started in England or Europe that uses 22's to shoot at minuture IPSC type silihouette targets on IPSC type courses. If that is the type of shooting you are thinking of I have a good idea what you are looking for.

1. You want Rapid Fire capability, Semi auto, pump or lever action in that order are capable of fairly rapid fire, multiple target engagement. For the practical shooting a bolt action is not the best choice.
2. Clip Fed, This lets out the Lever action and most pumps.
3. Optics friendly. Almost anything can be scoped nowadays but some designs are more optical ready than others.
4. Since it's so hard to get approval for a gun I assume you are not going to be buying a bunch of them and are willing to pay a little more to have your gun be a Nice one.
5. You don't want something everyone else has.

Have you looked at the Buckmark .22 Rifles (Carbines) from Browning? That would be my first suggestion. Quite a few RFC members have them and most love them. May be too small for you if you have long arms but I'd suggest you pick one up and shoulder it anyway. They are really different in a good way. I have a Buckmark pistol and can tell you the buckmark line is a quality product. All of the models have a built in Weaver rail for optics and Oh boy are those mag changes fast!

The Thompson/Center Arms .22 rifle is another posibility if you want something more classic in styling. Unfortunatly I have no practical experiance with this rifle. It looks well made but you'd have to get a better informed opinion from someone else. I don't see many around but that may be because they are kind of pricy?

Note: These are my own suggestions and are by no means meant to belittle anyone elses ideas! If I'm wrong about the type of shooting you are talking about, my suggestions maybe incorrect as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the Info So far

Thanks to all your replies, especially BigMac - you sound like you know your stuff!

I think the main problems going to be finding importers in the UK -import volumes are small due to our draconian laws.

I'll do some searching on the rifles suggested, any if anyone else has any other suggestions lets here them.

I need to make sure I make the right descision as every gun has to be registered and a reason for having it given to the police!

Unfortunately "A to the K" is not considered a good reason :D

thanks again

·
Registered
574 Posts
I was also going to suggest the Thompson Contender, I've been looking at the possibility of adding one to my safe. Looks like a quality firearm, from a standup company. follows the semi-auto function, while still allowing to be different.

I really need to stop looking at new guns :D

Kevin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
More Info

I do think I need a semi-auto, eveyone else uses them as PR is timed so the quicker the better.

As for price range thats difficult - rifles in the UK are priced very differently to in the US - looking through US sites makes me weep at how cheap they are.

I suppose a £650/$1000 limits my max but I'd prefer to spend less on the basic gun so I can customise it to my liking.

Then again I'm going to put it on my credit card so it's not real money anyway!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.