Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Newbie with no clue needs help...

516 13
Hello everyone, this is my first post so forgive me if I dont use proper terminology or say something stupid. I shot a friends 10/22 recently and loved it so now I'm going to get one myself. I've been reading the boards the past couple of days and I've decided to get a Bushnell Elite 4200 8x32x40 scope but I'm not sure what rings I should get. I know I want Burris Zee rings but they come with all these different styles (dual dovetail, double dovetail, universal dovetail). Link below:
Burris Zee Rings
I'm planing on using a Power Custom rail. Link below:
Power Custom

Will my scope fit with this set up? What type of rings do I need? Are there any advantages to the different types of dovetails? The rail will attach to the receiver correct, not to the barrel? Ugh, I feel so lost :confused:
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
236 Posts
Mabo,

:Welcome: Welcome to RFC :Welcome:

The Power Custom (PC) receiver mounted base is a standard weaver style base. The Burris rings that are labeled "Zee" are the standard weaver style. The Burris rings that are labeled "Signature" use the inserts to eliminate any misalignment between the rings and they don't mark up the scope tube.

Most people (including myself) seem to like the Burris Signature Zee rings. For that scope and the PC base the medium height rings will be what you're looking for.

Hope this helps
Trent

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Trent :) So I will need to get these rings for my Bushnell 4200 8x32x40:
Mabo's new rings

Is the PC rail that I picked out any good? Is there one that is a notch above the others?

How do you know if you need medium, high, or extra high rings without actually buying some and trying them out?

· Registered
198 Posts
Mabo--
I just tried the link to the rings that you posted. I don't think you want the 30mm rings for that 4200. You will need 1" Burris Signature Z rings in medium height. Maybe you just posted the wrong link inadvertently.
Mike

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually Mike I thought those were the ones I needed. I thought I read somewhere that the tube portion of the scope was 30mm so I assumed I needed 30mm rings. If those are not the ones I need how am I supposed to know I need 1" rings instead? :confused:

· Registered
147 Posts
The description about the scope will state either 1" or 30mm tube. I believe all Bushnell elite scopes are 1" tubes. I have a 2.5-10x 4200 on my savage 93r17 BVSS. The rifle came with Weaver style bases. I could get a 50mm scope to mount with the high rings, and the 40 mm I'm using now sits up well over with the high rings. You may get away with medium rings. Burrisoptics.com will give you measurements in their ring section.

Add up the height of your bases + ring height given (.27 for medium, .42 for high) + .0625" (air space between ring and base according to Burris) + .5" (half of the ring's thickness). This will give you your clearance height to the center of the rings. .8325 + base height for medium or .9825 + base height for high rings.

That scope probably is right at 2" thick at the widest point. Take half of that (1") and that's the height the center of the rings need to be for clearance. Factor in any covers/caps you want to put on the scope. Also, keep in mind the clearance you may need for a bolt action if you go that route. If there are no other factors, medium should get you high enough as long as your bases will be .17" tall or higher.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so just want to make sure I'm getting the right ones:
Do these work

I went to Burris's webpage and they explained the difference between all the dovetails. I don't want the double dovetail or the universal. I also found out the height on the Power Custom rail is about .33". So .8325 + .33 = 1.16" this should give me enough clearance :)

A person in this post has plenty of clearance and they have a 6X24X44 scope. Thanks for all the help everyone, I couldnt have done it without you all :t

· Premium Member
12,486 Posts
Mabo:

The Power Custom rail that you picked out is considered to be one of the best.

The rings you have selected are, also, among the best and should work well for you. You might check Midway; they WERE on sale for $24.95, there.

· Registered
147 Posts
The insert kit I HIGHLY recommend. I have used one kit for 2 guns. I haven't had to adjust either one more than one complete rotation for windage or elevation to get the gun zerod. Of course, there is some trial and error putting them in and out to get them just right, but the rings are very easy to take on and off so you dont' have to remove them from your mounts. I adjusted my front one down .02 on one rifle and the other rifle I moved the fron down .01 and the back up .005.

· Registered
236 Posts
Mabo,

I have a Weaver V24 (6-24X42) mounted on one of my 10/22's using medium height Burris Signature Zee rings and a Power Custom base. The objective sits about 3/8" high off from a bull barrel, which is by far plenty of room.

The PC base is an excellent base, I couldn't be happier with it. I also used a Burris off set kit on that 10/22 which made sighting in a breeze with plenty of elevation left on the scope.

Trent

· Registered
5 Posts
scope rail

is this the rail you are talking about

VCL Barrel Mounted Scope Base

A Weaver style scope mount designed to mount directly to .925" bull barrels. The mount cantilevers back over the receiver and utilizes one tension set screw in the rear of the mount for stability. It assures that the scope will always be in alignment with the barrel regardless of any movement between barrel and receiver. Product specifications: Aluminum, Fits .925" barrels

Black

Product# vq1022sb-b
$28.80

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.