Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have 2 10/22's that are mostly stock. One is newer with only 300 rounds or so through it. It is stock except for the few tips and tricks I read on this forum a few months ago. It sports a Tasco World Class scope. The other is very used. Picked it up from a guy in the newspaper. I guess it has thousands of rounds through it. The reciever has scratches on it, and the stock was so beat up, I had to refinish it in truck bed liner. Cool part was that I picked it up for 90 buck with a 25 round butler creek. It does not have a scope currently. Both guns shoot pretty well.
I am going to pick up a new barrel and stock. Which gun should I do the work to? Does it matter newer vs. older?

I am looking at a lamtech stock. Is that a good choice? I don't like the thumb hole stocks.

I am torn on which barrel to go with. I may go with the whistlepig, or I may go with the GM. I hope you guys can advise me if the whistlepig is worth spending almost twice as much as the GM.

Gun will be for all around use 33% Target, 33% plinking, 33% varmints, 1% ummm......... I don't know, I just notice I had only used up 99%.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/experiences.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a GM barrel and have no complaints i like it. I would say fix them both up ha. since you considered a barrel twice the price of the GM then you could get two GM's and be in the money range. Say make one 16" and one 20". Make one for target and the other for a plinker and upgrade it later on. I dont know much about the barrels but ive heard 16" gets the highest velocity. flutes cool it faster solid bulls are stiffer so they may be more accurate. Another thing is there is no reason why you cant have a target gun for a plinker Ha. One thing i learned is the Parts kind of have their function. Two different stocks can make a big difference in feel and use. That goes with the barrels too. If you will shoot offhand more take that into consideration when choosing a stock and barrel. As far as which one again i really dont think it would matter much. the hammer should be fine but if you switch to a match type barrel you will need a new extractor so that will fix that. only other thing is maybe a new operating spring wouldnt hurt on the old gun. I think my rifle is from the 70's and it does fine i just replaced the hammer and spring a week ago just to make the trigger different. not because there was a pert problem. Major

·
Registered
400 Posts
Which first?

I would start with the older rifle. It sounds like it needs an overhaul anyway, and you'll be making it much better than new. Also, if you screw something up, you might not feel as bad about it. Have fun!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I just bought a houge stock and Adams&Bennett BBL. I've been shooting it for the past week and am pretty happy with it. This gun is built to be shot off a rest. I find the BBLs to be too heavy to shoot free hand.

If you're looking to build a off hand gun i would sugest going with a GM sporter barrel. These are made in factory weights meaning they weigh about the same as you factory ruger barrel. I believe these run around $100 from Whiteface Mountain Barrel Supply. From what i've read of what the gun will be used for it sounds to me you may be better of with the sporter barrel. I hope to get my hands on one soon.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Good choice.

I have had the A & B stainless 18"/Hogue combo for a couple of years now, and I have never loved a firearm as much. I find it very easy to shoot offhand; the barrel-heavy feel is just perfect. Solid as a rock, very light recoil. Also love it from the bench. It eats Dynapoints and spits out bullseyes! All a matter of personal preference, though. Go to a good sized gun store (or better yet, several) and see what feels good to you. Then build your perfect beast. :D This site will be priceless. Use it.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
I like the GM barrels myself, Mine works quite well. Going to be getting one for Jody's (my wife) gun sometime in the future here. Good luck with which ever one you decide to modify first, or like others suggested, modify both!

Dave Z.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.