Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ruger 10/22 is coming in 10 days :t and I want to get a scope before it gets here so I am ready to go to the range.

From what I read, I should change the factory/stock scope bases because they are not good and always loosen themselves up. With that said, I assume my only choice is to get a weaver mount, correct? The only aftermarket 10/22 mount I have found is from Volquartsen but they make two types. One that mounts on (bull) barrels and one that mounts on the receiver. Since I don't have an aftermarket barrel, does that mean I just get the standard receiver mount?

If I do end up getting a different barrel, does that mean that the base is not worthless and I'll have to get a barrel mounted base?

Are there any other mfg's of scope bases? As long as I get weaver rings, it will slide onto my weaver base right? Do the scopes care which rings/ base you use? In other words, are there like "weaver" type scopes? Or can any scope work with any rings and any base?

Finally, today a shot a very nice 10/22 at 100 yard targets using a 3-9x40 scope and I did quite well (first time for me). I was wondering if there were any good scope recommendations for this distsance for $100 or less. I did read some of the other posts but three pages of it was filled with "don't get BSA" and "buy a cheap scope and expect cheap quality, buy an expensive scope, expect better quality". Two things I kind of already knew.

First post on this board, hope more will follow! Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You're correct. The Volquartsen barrel-mounted base requires a drilled and tapped barrel. The VQ barrels are ready for the base, but most others aren't. So, you want a receiver mounted base. VQ makes one that I'm sure is good, but I have the Power Custom base on both my 10/22s. They work just fine and are less than half the price.

Any weaver-style rings will fit on the weaver base, and scopes don't care what kind of rings you use, as long as they are the right size for the scope tube.

I really can't help you with scopes under $100. The cheapest one I've ever bough was the Simmons 1048 6-20x44 for $150, which is holding up just fine.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I'll go for the Weaver or Custom Power branded bases. Do they come with screws?

The Simmons scope you recommended...is that the one everyone was raving about? 6-20x - that means the minimum magnification is 6x right? Is that too much for a min? I am shooting 100 yard targets on bench.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
If you are shooting at 100 yard targets you will most likely leave it on 20x all the time. One aspect of cost in scopes is the range of magnification. 6x to 20x is roughly 3 time the lowest magnification. More expensive scopes often have a 4x range 6x-24x or 8x-32x. There are many who would say you can never have too much magnification. There are others who can do marvels with 6x.

If you go with Weaver-style rings the Burris Signature Zee rings are pretty nice. They have a plastic bearing that goes between the scope and the metal part of the rings. The benefits are many - stress free mount, no ring marks, etc. Add the eccentric inserts and you have an amazing number of options open to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Alternative 10/22 mount bases for other than Weaver style rings

If you would like a somewhat more sturdy mounting system for your rifle and one that does NOT use the weaver style rings, Burris or Weaver or whoever's close, in the Brownell's catalong and website www.brownells.com, there are some very nice elegant and trim two piece mounts for the receiver's pre-existing drilled holes that are made by Dave Talley, they take the regular Ruger rings which are among the sturdiest i know of. Ruger compatible rings are also available from Leupold and or Burris and maybe Redfield as I recall. They lack the clever non marring inserts of the Burris Zee style but can be lapped true before schope mounting to avoid marring the scope tube or even potentially damaging the internals of the scope. This solution IS a receiver mount by the way.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Variable Power Ratio

sygyzy,
One aspect of cost in scopes is the range of magnification. A 6x to 20x is roughly 3 times the lowest magnification. More expensive scopes often have a 4 times range like 6x-24x or 8x-32x. [Brookie]
What Brookie is referring to is the 'power ratio' from the lowest to highest powers:
0 A 3-9X = 3
0 A 4-12X = 3
0 A 4-16X = 4
0 A 8-32X = 4

Note: While many manufacturers will advertise a certain scope as a "6-20X", it is in fact a 6.5-19.5X.....! ! :eek:

Hope this helps....! ! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.