Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am not new to shooting in general, but this is my first Ruger 10/22. After reading these threads, I think I have the fever. What mods should I go after first? I have the plain Jane 10/22 with the 18" barrel. Should I dump the stock barrel first? What is the best order to do things? Sorry for all of the questions, but I gots to play catch-up! :)

Thanks in advance for the info.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
If it were me, I would first replace the hammer with a Volq. target hammer. That will probably do more with the least effort of anything you can do. After that, I'd study the threads and archives in the 10/22 forums to see what you should do next. Wealth of knowledge there. Good luck, and welcome to RFC.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I agree with the other post to work on the inner action to get a good smooth trigger action to let you shoot the gun more accurately and easier...this also won't need to be replaced after the other upgrades and once you get a good trigger action and recoil buffer, magazine release extension and similar you might plan on the barrel and stock at the same time....if you go to a heavy barrel........if the barrel is different that your current contour then you will need the new stock to fit...if you get the stock and not the barrel it won't fit....Welcome to the board and enjoy the process..good luck and good shooting!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Forester and BigD. I am going to take your advice and purchase the Volq. hammer. Then I will start searching the archives. I am really looking forward to this project.

Thanks again,

Wayne

·
Registered
707 Posts
Welcome to RFC!

In most cases one would congratulate another on making such a purchase; however, this 10/22 thing is akin to crack. Once you start, you can't stop. Not even rehab can help.

You are already getting sound advice. The action mods are inexpensive and will transform the thing you have into a whole new rifle. I have not seen the mention of the JB Weld trick. Run a search for it. It is a pretty easy mod, and if you screw up, you can just file it all off and start over. make sure to get some really small files (about $10 at Lowes).

As I tell everyone, check out the sticky on the action forum about the internal parts and diagram. Print out a copy of Pinball's chart and Chief Dave's color coded diagram. That thing makes your first dive into the action a breeze.

I only offer this because I was too dumb to figure it out at first...only open up the action in an enclosed area with a clean floor.:rolleyes: I didn't and I had to order some new stuff to replace what flew out.

Check out the Gunsmither tool! It is only about $12 and it is worth every penny and then some! He is one of our sponsors on the mainpage.

Good Luck.:t

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
welcome man!!

if it were me (in fact I did it this way) I'd go with the VQ hammer first, this is probably the best upgrade that you'll make. Our sponsors here can hook you up with the parts you need. Also, while doing this, the sponsors that I've dealt with have been nothing short of fantastic, to show my appreciation, I try to keep my business here with them.

from there, because I was bored and because the funds weren't available I sat down and figured out a plan to keep it shooting while I was modifying. I learned to bed the barrel on the factory stock, if I screwed it up, it wasn't a big thing. Then I went through the tips/tricks forum and dug up everything else I could try. By the time I ordered the barrel, I had the channel in the factory stock widened to accept it, so I put it in and went shooting. The last thing I did was order my stock from Hawk and replaced that. The whole time I was modifying I was also taking the rifle out when I had a chance too..

good luck and enjoy!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.