Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first post on RFC.

Based primarily on this forum, I visited my local firearm botique this morning and looked at a 452 (beech stock) in .22LR. While I was there, I also examined offerings from Marlin, which stocks felt a little long for me to shoulder comfortably, Ruger, Savage, T/C, Kimber, and a used Browning autoloader.

All things considered, the cz felt the best to me. The stock fit me, even though it looked a bit alien to my eyes in its European configuration. The sights were great, and lined up nicely. The barrel was a little longer than I'm accustomed to, but was otherwise fine (I'm impressed that cz hammer-forges 22LR barrels!).

With the saleman's permission, I tested the trigger once, and it was not as bad as I had expected. It appeared to have minimal creep, broke at about 4 pounds (my estimate), and did have significant overtravel.

The only bad parts were the safety and the trigger guard. Reverse-acting (compared to industry standard) safeties appear to me to be a really bad idea; if I buy one, I won't use it, ever. (It's kind of like those knives with the straight part sharpened instead of the curved part. Under stress, I revert to old habits.) The trigger guard, on the other hand, appeared very functional, but, my lord, it is really ugly! I hope someone makes a milled steel replacement for it.

Though I went there to buy it, and it was better than I had expected, I did not walk out owning it. The dealer had a $290 price tag on it, and the cz website shows a suggested retail price of $241. I just got home, and haven't looked a prices on the web, but have prices risen so much since cz last updated their site?

Thanks for all of the input that I got from reading old forum posts!

Jaywalker

Edited to refer to the proper model number.

·
Registered
293 Posts
That is insane

They are just under 200 if you get one at gunbroker.com, FFl and shipping should cost you total of 230-250 depending on ffl fees. Gunbroker has a list of ffl's in your area with prices for there fees. Or just check some other gun shops if there are many around. You will have the option of shorther (trainer barrel) or longer (ultra Lux) 28in barrel. Good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
A product endorsement, unsolicited; I'm not on the CZ payroll :)

I bought my CZ ZKM 452 Lux, new in 1973. It has shot countless "bricks" of .22LR. I am very careful with care and maintenance and the old 452 still looks much like the day I bought it and is still a phnominal shooter as in very accurate. There has been no failures or parts breakage in the last 30 years.

I have another post on the trigger guard on the forum but I prefer the stamped steel guard to the alloy or plastic found on so many .22's.

I like the long barrel for the perceived forward weight and maybe because I am 6' - 3" it sort of fits me.

One of the things that drew me to the gun was the European appreance; just something a little different.

The safety IMHO is approximating the action of cocking a hammer, since I also like Marlin 39's and use to shoot a lot of traditional muzzleloaders, I don't have a problem in this regard.

Likes and dislikes are a personal variable, these thing I have mentioned work for me, others will differ.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
podnik:
The safety IMHO is approximating the action of cocking a hammer, since I also like Marlin 39's and use to shoot a lot of traditional muzzleloaders, I don't have a problem in this regard.
I hadn't considered the "hammer-cocking" aspect of it - you're right, it does. I follow a similar procedure, using a Ruger 77 and a Beretta 686, both with tang safeties sliding forward to "off." It's certainly easier than trying to remember which manual of arms to invoke. :D I'll rephase: "I'd be more comfortable pushing the cz safety forward."

Jaywalker

·
Registered
30 Posts
Jaywalker

That cock the hammer thing must have been favoured by CZ. I also have a CZ ZKK 600 Standard in .30-06 and its safety goes back to the "fire" position too.

My CZ ZKK 600 .30-06 will shoot 3 shot MOA groups with factory ammo, it is a "keeper". Most CZ's either rimfire or centerfire do have a good reputation for accuracy :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.