Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I haven't seen really any cohesive threads on this topic so what the hey, I'll start one.

What items should I have on hand when first getting my Deluxe Sporter 10/22?

* Rifle
* Can of aerosol brake cleaner
* a surgical mask I can swipe from work
* rags/towels/cotton balls/etc?
* what do you think of those patchworm barrel cleaners? (http://20-20.8m.com/)
* some sort of dry lube? (I get the impression that you need to bake some of the parts in the oven when you coat them :confused: )
* maybe some allen wrenches?
* screwdrivers?
* little "buddy jesus" thumbs up action figure for good luck? Maybe a lil buddah?

I'd like to put together a checklist of sorts for those who are new, and have never taken apart or cleaned a firearm before.

By the way, which parts generally have this "factory preservative" on it? All of them? And what do you use to clean it off? Brake cleaner and.. any rag will do?

Thanks for any info

-Brew

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
hold on man...

I think the only baking the guys are doing is with paint, I could've missed something though. Leave your oven out of the cleaning process :D (unless you want to clean the oven to score points with the wife that will eventually allow you to get a new gun ;) )

you'll need a screwdriver for sure.

a set of allen wrenches is nice for the scope base and a takedown screw if you buy an aftermarket one.

other than that you are pretty set. don't forget some solvent somewhere on your list. you can probably scratch the brake cleaner and add a tooth brush also.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Lots and lots of ammo. Ear and eye protection.

...a surgical mask...

Planning on robbing somebody? :p

Otherwise, just plan on buying one of everything at the gun store. Then start saving for one of everything at the gun show. Using a credit card for Internet purchases can wait - it'll give you something to do when the weather turns bad.

Have fun.

John

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Well,

Needed:

screw driver, small;
solvent, brake clean;
oil; drilube/wd40;
several rags;

Dean_311

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
In the gun box!

1) Cleaning kit, no cleaning rods! Use the weedwacker line method. Solvent and patches, light gun oil (no teflon, the only place I use the oil is the bore) and paper towels.
2) Can of dry lube ....... don't like WD-40!
3) Screwdriver set with bits (cheap one from Home Depot)
4) Allen wrench set (cheap one from walmart, seperate wrenches not the all in one, ever try to get one of them things in a trigger guard to adjust an over travel screw)
5) extra ear plugs (in case you forget your earmuffs)
6) first aid kit (you never know)

Thats the gun box that goes to the range. Don't carry any spare parts, its not an 1911 or AR-15 that gets heavy use. Yes the brake cleaner will help cleaning the preservatives out of the gun, get all that funk out!

Thats what I use, hope it helps!

Dave Z.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
This is what i did to get started. I just bought the hoppes basic kit. It works fine. You dont need to get to extravagent with new ruger. If you were buying a mil surplus gun you would need everything, but a basic hoppes kit will get you through the whole deal until you get the read the book and what ruger suggests. Hoppes no. 9 is a good basic cleaner and preserver.

You can then decide as you go.

The patchworm is very similar to the weed wacker method.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.