Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Newbe Pistol choices

1044 6
I am looking at the Model 22A in 5.5 as a general plinking and paper shooter. Anyone have any thoughts on this or any other good pistols?

Thanks
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought a model 22A-1, special edition, about four or five months ago. Mine has the 5.5 barrel, but in stainless instead of carbon steel, and also has a Hi-Viz front sight and a one-piece wood laminate grip. I love this little pistol! I'd heard all sorts of horror stories before buying mine about failures to feed -- from the very first magazine mine has contentedly chewed through every type of ammo I've fed it.

From a sandbag rest at the indoor range I've been able to shoot a full magazine (10 rounds) at 25 yards into a group you can cover with a quarter. That's good enough for me for open sights! I've had to invest in a bit of Locktite for the four grip screws..... three of them would loosen up noticeably after three or four magazines till I did that. Other than that, absolutely no problems whatsoever.

If mine is representative of this model, then I say go for it. Inexpensive, accurate and fun to shoot. What more could you ask for?

Good shootin' to ya,
John

:D

·
Registered
364 Posts
The S&W 22A should get a look. My benchmark would be a Ruger 5 1/2" bull barrel, Mark II, built like a tank, adjustable sights, so so trigger. I had a Ruger MK I, tapered barrel and sold it, just wasn't heavy enough and never pointed well for me. Another good one would be the Browning Buckmark, 5" bull barrel (I like bull barrels of medium length, they feel better to me, recoil is almost non-existent, and it makes follow-up shots easier. If the bull barrel gets to long, the gun gets front heavy if you hand hold for a long string of shots). Ruger makes the Mk II with a 6 7/8 semi bull barrel that looks like it would work out real well.

When I was going to replace my Ruger MK I, I was going to go up to the Mk II bull barrel, and came across my S&W 41, used for $500. I figured I would replace the trigger on a new Ruger Mk II, so I went with the S&W 41, and I've been real happy since. I like shooting at clay pigeons at 60 yds with it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Newbie Pistols

I bought a S&W 22A (7.5 in bbl.) a few years ago for my wife (a "lefty") because she liked the balance and the way the grip fit her hand. The "hook" on the back of the sight rail broke off at the range one day, prompting a trip to Houlton (for the pistol) for repair. S&W promptly replaced the part, issued an apology citing "over-tight tolerances in some of the early models". They also sent a batch of the square nyon spring buffers It now wears a 30mm BSA Red-Dot sight and remains a favorite plinker for "The Boss" and the kids.

Reasonable trigger. Good accuracy with a variety of ammo. Not bad 'tall for $200! A reasonable "first pistol".

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
New Pistol

Would suggest a Ruger mk2 Either Govmt model or 5 1/2 bull barrel. The Rugers are very strong,accurate & should be all you need until you want to get into a higher quality competition gun such as a S&W 41 or if you can find one a good used High Standard.:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a 22A 5 1/2 bull barrell and have shot over 2000 rounds without a hitch. Now my Ruger 22/45 after about 100 rounds it starts to jam and have problems. When this happens it is time to clean it.

Just my 2 cents

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.