Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

New (to me) 511

588 15
Hey all, I just picked up this 511 at a local pawn shop. They wanted $125 but I ended up getting this and a Marlin 81 (marked $150) for $250 out the door. It is a little worn but I think it'll make a great project shooter.

The stock has a crack (pics below) that I will be repairing.

More pics, one shows the date code, BRR, which is January 1946 if I can read right. Also shows where someone used a stiff wire wheel or similar to remove the bluing. Only thing it is missing is the rear sight elevator.

Thought I'd post it down here to see what you guys think. I'm going to be cleaning up both rifles and have a thread in the superstock bolt section about it. Debating whether I want to add a peep to this rifle or not, depending mostly on how it shoots.

What do you guys think?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest, I think it is this forum that causes all the trouble. I would have never picked these two up if it weren't for a certain project cheap shooter thread and all the 5-teen love on here! :)

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
haha well you may be correct there sir. this forum certainly can assist one in spending the $$ thats for sure. be interesting to see the results of this Rem once compeleted. certainly hope we'll be seeing a write up on it.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Yup, I find myself checking pawn shops pretty regularly, although I must say, I've been pawn shop sober for about a month 1/2. I take the long way home just so I don't have to pass by them. With the way the gas prices are, I might as well take the short route, buy a rifle and get on home. The way I see it, they'll just offset eachother

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha this was one of my first pawn shop buys. My interest was picqued from a visit to another store where I saw what I thought might be one of the Mossberg 22s, but turned out to be a 410. Then I stumbled onto these two after a few more shops.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is unfortunate, but this 511 just doesn't shoot well. At 25 yards groups are pretty consistently 1.25-1.75" regardless of ammo used. I gave it a thorough cleaning when I got it and only ran patches with Hoppes #9 after. I've also had 2 other people shoot it and they can't get better than 1.5" groups. I've checked it over and the crown looks fine and the bore looks good, but there is a dark ring just after the chamber ends. I took a pic, but you can't really see the rifling just before the ring. The ring goes all around the bore, except for from about 9 o'clock to 7 o'clock. I've tried brushing it out and though I have got more grime out, the ring is still there. I've been suggested to try J B Bore Brite, so I may give that a go, but I'm beginning to think I need a new barrel. I found one on Gunbroker that has been drilled and tapped all over for $12, but I don't really want all the extra holes.

Btw, heres the pic I took of the ring

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
well the ring could just be from use. I've seen it before and the ring is at the chamber. didn't seem to effect the rifle at all. now the rifling is, in the pic, shallow to me. not defined really at all. maybe its just the angle of the pic but the barrel almost appears shot out.

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
If you haven't tried a "lead solvent" or lead removing cleaner, you should get some. I have a Model 12a that it took a long time getting a patch to come out clean, but it eventually did. Left the rifle in the gun vice for about a week and every time I walked by it, maybe 5-10 times a day, I'd run another jag/patch through it and about the time it seemed clean, I ran a brush through it and started over. Old Model 12 shot a lot better afterward.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Another option with that ring is to put a cleaning rod segment with a bore brush into a hand held drill and go at it. That ring may also be erosion from shooting many shorts. I have a 510 barrel like that and it is eroded BAD from shorts. I was unaware until I pulled the barrel from the action.

Mr Quija, congrats on the extra barrel (I lost). I would not have bid against you if I realized you were RFC family. The post style front sight will cover those screws holes. Its like a 513 sight but contoured for the smaller barrels. I have one of them, perhaps we could work out a trade for your old barrel, let me know.

·
Registered
824 Posts
It is unfortunate, but this 511 just doesn't shoot well. At 25 yards groups are pretty consistently 1.25-1.75" regardless of ammo used. I gave it a thorough cleaning when I got it and only ran patches with Hoppes #9 after. I've also had 2 other people shoot it and they can't get better than 1.5" groups. I've checked it over and the crown looks fine and the bore looks good, but there is a dark ring just after the chamber ends. I took a pic, but you can't really see the rifling just before the ring. The ring goes all around the bore, except for from about 9 o'clock to 7 o'clock. I've tried brushing it out and though I have got more grime out, the ring is still there. I've been suggested to try J B Bore Brite, so I may give that a go, but I'm beginning to think I need a new barrel. I found one on Gunbroker that has been drilled and tapped all over for $12, but I don't really want all the extra holes.

Btw, heres the pic I took of the ring

Just keep soaking & cleaning, when you think it is clean then get some Kroil-oil and go at it again. Kroil is a penetrating oil/cleaner and will deep clean the pores of the metal.

As my bore cleaner I mix Kroil and Hoppes 50/50, then for the final I use straight Kroil.

Also use a 22 cal. bore mop, it will put more juice in the barrel.;)

I have a CZ V22 8mm rifle, it took two weeks of soaking & cleaning to get all the 70 years of krud out of the barrel, but she finally came clean.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another option with that ring is to put a cleaning rod segment with a bore brush into a hand held drill and go at it. That ring may also be erosion from shooting many shorts. I have a 510 barrel like that and it is eroded BAD from shorts. I was unaware until I pulled the barrel from the action.

Mr Quija, congrats on the extra barrel (I lost). I would not have bid against you if I realized you were RFC family. The post style front sight will cover those screws holes. Its like a 513 sight but contoured for the smaller barrels. I have one of them, perhaps we could work out a trade for your old barrel, let me know.
Its all good. Once I get the barrel from GB I'd probably be up for a trade on the front sight that'd cover the holes. I've got a receiver peep on the way, so with a new front sight, I wouldn't need either front/rear that I have with that. I'll PM you when it gets here. :)

I've taken some better pictures of the barrel over in the SuperStock area thread I started. I even tried some Flitz to get out the ring, but to no avail. I soaked with CLP and Hoppes #9, and also ran patches of montana extreme bore solvent. None of which seemed to effect the ring.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.