Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
thanks for looking, I'm into 10/22 and most rifles, I am going to get a Mark IV soon and wanted to know what I can change out, like to get a light trigger or other up dated parts

also thinking of getting the Hunter or the Target in Stainless steel, any thoughts on what model you like out of all of them

thank you

Rick

:gun4: :Blasting_

·
Registered
205 Posts
I use a MKIV 22/45 Lite for Steel Challenge... I added the Volquartsen trigger/hammer/sear upgrade and got a trigger pull that rivals my SW M41... using bulk Federal blue box, it would not cycle the bolt far enough to cock the hammer... added the VQ recoil spring kit with the lightest weight spring, and works well with CCI SV ... I had a stuck in barrel squib with the Federal so I'm reluctant to shoot it in the thin Lite barrel .... you probably would not need the oversize Striplin thumb rest and safety, along with the TademKross grips which are pretty specialized for Steel Challenge... VQ has a discount page with new take off barrels for a very good price, though they need to be sent to a FFL as they are the serial numbered part, so you can set up multiple MKIVs on the same frame... I have one set up for a Holosun 510c and another fixed sight with a TacSol front fiber optic... regards

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wait is that sarcasm lol
after I posted I found out it was like saying I just got a Ruger 10/22 are there after market parts lol
and I see how the upper changes so easy for different setup

sounds like it's just like my six Ruger 10/22, I even have two that do not have any Ruger parts not one at all LOL

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

what to do ? I may not need to start with pistols when 22 ammo is hard to get and OMG price
I have 22 ammo I paid .03 to .05 a round for lucky I'm that old

Rick

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm shooting about 1100rounds a month for Steel Challenge... CCI SV when available from Midsouth Shooters Supply and Palmetto State Armory in brick amounts and has been around .11 /round with shipping included

·
Registered
9 Posts
I added a vq trigger,tandomkross flat,trigger shoe ,vq bolt tune up kit,tandomkross charging handle,vq bolt release,hogue g10 grips,tandomkross mag release & Williams sights. Eats everything! My favorite pistol to shoot..

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Volquartsen accurizing kit with hammer and sear will give you the best trigger. I believe mine is 1.5 lb pull.

The volquartsen extractor cured just about every type of failure I ever had. Just get the bolt upgrade kit from them, it includes the firing pin and extractor. My factory firing pin broke, it ended up peening the breech face. Just cosmetic, but I wish I'd have just gone the distance when I bought the extractor.

Tandemkross has about anything you could want for an upgrade. Majestic Arms also has some very nice stuff. I like Majestics palmswelll grips in particular.

If you go with a red dot, Lobos makes the cleanest, lowest mount imo. However, the Tandemkross shadow mount 2 will give you more red dot options and the ability to mount the dot in fore or aft positions.

Just a heads up, I've spent more in accessories for my Mark IV than I spent on the purchase price of the pistol :). But you don't have to do it al in one day. To me , the aftermarket fun is one of the best things about the Mark IV.

My buddy just got a Blued Hunter. It is one of the most beautiful pistols I've ever seen. The factory trigger is fantastic at 2.5 lbs. He bought it to customize it, but it is so beautiful and shoots so nice, he just went with the bolt upgrade kit for improved reliability.

As far as which model, I have the Hunter stainless and I like it a lot. It has I think a 7" barrel or thereabouts. I like it and the only other model I've considered since is the 22/45 .

Good luck!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all the great info :bthumb:

yes just like my $200 10/22's that have $1200 in after market parts !!
LOL

Volquartsen makes some good tune up parts for the 10/22 and are a trusted name

the photos of the Stainless Hunter are so good I NEED ONE :bthumb:

What is your favorite place to buy parts ?

THANKS
RICK

·
Premium Member
35,497 Posts
Volquartsen accurizing kit with hammer and sear will give you the best trigger. I believe mine is 1.5 lb pull.
Without a doubt the #1 best thing you can do to improve a MK IV pistol. You can replace the trigger return spring in the Volquartsen kit with a Tandemkross trigger return spring and bump the pull up to 2 lbs, which I prefer, both for feel and for a more positive reset, which can be a plus when you have been shooting a lot and the action is full of powder residue.

·
Premium Member
35,497 Posts
What is your favorite place to buy parts ?
I use Brownells whenever possible as I live in AK and have an Edge membership for the free shipping and returns. I have also ordered directly from Volquartsen, Tandemkross and Pete's Pillars with good results. It all comes down to the best price including shipping at the time.

·
Premium Member
2,708 Posts

My simple build, my Mark IV 22/45 with Voqluartsen Accurizing Kit. It brought the trigger down from over 6 pounds to a very comfortable 1 pound 7 ounces on average with my Lyman Digital Scale.

I also have the lighter Volquartsen spring so I can reliably shoot CCI SV. I was getting failures to feed before changing out the spring.

Add a compensator. Carolina Crusher is my favorite, but the Tandemkross Game Changer Pro is pretty nice also. Both are easy to clean

I've tried the Tandemkross Vicotry Trigger but decided I didn't like the serrations so I put the VQ trigger in. Adjustable for pre and over travel it helps when shooting at speed.

StonerCNC.com makes the grips I currently use. These are Herrit's.

You can make any modifications you want from basic to expensive. Get the trigger done first, get some more magazines and stuck up on ammo.

I like the C-More Railway red dot sight and mine has a 12 MOA dot on it for Steel Challenge matches.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
very nice looking rigs :bthumb:
classics to ray gun you can do anything they are the 10/22 of handguns
if only things were normal, I could find what I want for below MSRP :bthumb:

I been shooting Ruger Marks since I was 5 years old My older cousin had one it must have been one of the first Marks, being it was 1965
I'll never forget the shape of it, and the pearl grips, I could hit the tin can every time

when I was a younger crazy man I thought it not good to have a carry gun, being a great shot with anger management issues not a good mix :rolleyes: LOL

maybe good time to get a Ruger Mark IV :bthumb: I can see me dumping $$$ on goodies for it, there goes the few cases of 22 ammo I been stashing for years

I have a Co2 Mark III lol looks real and shoots well lol

Rick

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
The danger is real, FWIW, I'm not a huge fan of pouring $ into a 10/22. In the end, most end up with an overpriced and "almost right" rifle with way to much upside down money invested. Been There - Done that - Several Times ( I'm a slow learner) . That said, I believe most modest upgrades you put into the function of a Ruger MK II/III/IV, are solid investments that will make the pistol a much better performer and a force to be reckoned with at the range..

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd Start with a Hunter and add the Volquartsen trigger kit and shoot it. Then think about other parts. My Hunter's trigger was horrible but with the kit installed it's a sweet pistol. It's my most used 22lr pistol.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I really dumped a lot of money into my Target. Volquartson trigger kit obtained from Rimfire Sports which was cheaper than Volquartson plus had free shipping and Hogue thumb rest rubber grips from Amazon with free shipping. At the time I did the modifications the total was less than $120 and I don't regret spending one cent on the parts. Later I added the TandemKross halo ring so my grand daughters could shoot it as they couldn't rack the bolt. Grandpa quickly came to like the ring too.

If not for the absolutely awful trigger Ruger equips the pistols with there would be no need to do anything to the gun.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts