Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

New to Anschutz Rifles

2066 24
I have recently decided to upgrade to an Anschutz...if I can do it without spending a ton. I have found a couple used ones listed but I don't know squat about them so the models don't tell me anything. Based on what I've read here they made a model 64 and a model 54 with the 54 being the better of the two. However, I see lot's of 4 digit numbers tossed around and imagine those tell you a bit more if you know how to interpret them. I'm looking for a rifle for informal target shooting, both bench and offhand. I have to use a scope with my rotten eyes so it needs to have a method to mount one. I also want a clip fed rifle, not a single shot. Does this sound like I'm looking for a 64? I think so, but what about the other numbers?

The two I've found are listed as a 64 MS, and a 1903. What is reasonable prices for these kind of rifles? Where's the best place to look for decent deals?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm full of them when it comes to Anschutz.

Thanks for the help.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Action code

The '54' and '64' indicate the action within the rifle. The 54 action is in the more expensive 1700 series rifles ( ex 1717 D). The 64 action is in the 1500 series rifles ( 1517 D). I am not familiar with the models you posted.
Spirit

· Registered
189 Posts
I had similar questions as you several months back. This group recommended I consider an Anschutz 64 MPR, which I did. I bought one from Champion Shooters Supply (approx. $600 blue, 670 stainless). I have been extreeeeemmmmmly pleased with it. It shoots better than my current capability. I put Anschutz rings on it (CSS too) and an old Leupold 6.5 x 20 VariX III that I had. I use it for benchrest although it is easy to adapt to position shooting. Good luck on your choice and good shooting.

.... Retiree

· Registered
134 Posts
chundoo,

Both the guns you listed are the 64 action, the 64MS is a single shot silhouette gun which has been replaced by the 64MSR, the 1902 is the target version of the 64 action. The 64mpr is the same gun with a beavertail forend. The best price on a new gun would be at www.championshooters.com or at champions choice www.champchoice.com.

If money is not a factor I would go with the guns that use the 54 action, it has a faster lock time and a better trigger. ex 54.18 MSR

Ed

· Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the great info. I've looked at both the websites furnished and Champions Shooters supply has a 1451R listed for a reasonable amount. But it has a two stage trigger which I'm not fond of. I noticed there's quite a bit more said about the model 54 rifles, particularly about the barrel and that the bolt face is recessed. I like what I read but wonder if the same doesn't apply to the model 64 barrel and it just doesn't say it, anyone know? I'm also torn between a heavy barrel and a sporter barrel. I really like the 1710D or 1710DHB but it's a considerable jump in price over the 1451R ($1030 vs $449). I imagine it's worth it, but how big a difference would I see? I can tell right now that I'll be getting rid of my 77-22. Know anyone looking for one? :p

Decisions, decisions.... Please provide your recommendations and why, I'd truly appreciate your helping me spend some money.

· Registered
3,017 Posts
chundoo's dilemma

Tough decision for sure. I prefer the looks of the sporters, that's why I bought a 1517 DKL. I believe it will shoot as well as I need and am confident the capabilities of the rifle exceed the capabilities of the shooter in my case. I like to shot accurately, but am not into benchrest or serious competition.

Interesting comment about your 77/.22. I took my 1517 and my 77/.22M to the range one day and shot both. My 77 was one with that butt ugly synthetic stock. Shooting both the same day I realized just how lousy the trigger on the 77 was. Plus I couldn't get the tight groups with it that I could with the 1517.

When I left the range I stopped by my FLGD. Told him if he ever got in an Anschutz in .22mag to let me know. He's a bit of a smart ***, like myself. His reply " Careful what you ask for around here" as he handed me a Savage/Anschutz 141M. I now have two annies and zero 77's. I couldn't be happier. Just my$.02

· Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fullchoke

Sounds like you are a lot like myself. I enjoy shooting off the bench but not into serious 'formal' competition. I just like shooting good scores and small groups. I imagine the 64's would be better than my tired eyes are capable of doing. I've decided to shoot in the mail matches and would use it for that but probably no other competition other than to beat my kids butt when we go out together...a far to infrequent thing. The 1517 catches my eye as well if I recall it accurately. But that's a 1 HMR isn't it? I'm wanting to stay with a 22 LR so what's the equivalent to the 1517 in 22 LR?

By the way, I've worked on the 77-22 trigger an it's now exceptional at about 2 lbs. I've also free floated the barrel. But do what you will, it's still not an Anschutz.

Appreciate the feedback.

· Registered
98 Posts
chundoo,

You will probably not be happy if you buy a 1451. The trigger is not all that good. They are intended as junior, entry level position rifles. It will, more than likely, be a bit small for all but the smallest of adults. If you are looking for a good plinking/ informal competition rifle go with the 64ms. It is a 64 action sihlouette rifle with a very good trigger. Most of the used 54 action rifles you see are going to be 3 position rifles that weigh in around 12-13 lbs! This is great if you will be bench or position only, but you will hate walking in the woods with it.

To answer one of your first questions...... I have a 1403, older brother to the 1903, and I got it used for $350 if I remember. I love it. Pretty good, adjustable trigger and doesn't weigh a ton.

Ask around on the board and get the opinion of some who have bought a 1451 and sold it for a 64ms or even a 54 action rifle.

· Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate the heads up about the 1451. Doesn't sound like the rifle for me. I finally found a good place to look at most of the models with detailed info about each. Heck, I'm even learning a little about their model numbering system...but I did say a 'little'.

What would the groups recommendation be between the 64 MSR and the 64 MPR for the type shooting I mentioned? Are they essentially the same action, trigger, barrel but with different stocks? I'm leaning toward the 64 MPR because I do shoot a lot off the bench, I'd just have to get a #3 front bag. ;) I read that the 64 MPR has a two stage trigger. What is the advantage to a two stage vs a single stage? All my shooting has been with single stage triggers...hunting rifles, etc. Should this be a major consideration?

I think the used 64 MS I was looking at is too much at $800 and it's a single shot, seems that's more than a new one.

Once again, I appreciate the help!

· Registered
3,017 Posts
1517DKL Equivalent

chundoo, It appears the 1416 DKL is the .22LR version of the 1517 DKL. 22 1/2" barrel and 5.5lbs weight. Monte Carlo stock and schnabel fore end. I'm not familiar with the 1451 that fishdude refers to, so I can't compare the two.

BTW; Are you trying to make me feel bad telling me that trigger could have improved on the Ruger? Just kiddin' you on that. I never liked that stock from day one. I could never get used to it for some reason.

· Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Fullchoke,

I like the sporter stocks, but I think I've decided that this rifle will be more of a target gun so think I'll go with a target stock.

No I'm not trying to make you feel bad about the trigger, but it is pretty easy to improve it. I agree with you about the stock...it's the same one I have and I thought I'd get used to it but it's still as ugly today as it was when I bought it.

· Registered
489 Posts
chundoo,
Your spec for informal target just screams 1903. I've got one in a lefty. I had to buy it sight unseen due to nobody local having one. At about $700 it comes with no sights, the 64 action, and a two stage trigger. I spent another $300+ to get the left handed peep sights for it. The 54 action rifles start at about $1200 without sights, a not insignificant differance. It is highly accurate with standard velocity ammo. It shoots well from both bench and 3 position. It's a great club level rifle. I've just installed a scope to use it for silhouette. I used b-square rings because I think I will be able to swap between the scope and peeps with minimal change in zero.
I'd like a 54 (who wouldn't) but I'm very happy with my 1903 64.

If you have questions regarding the 1903 feel free to ask.

All the best

Barry

· Registered
89 Posts
chundoo said:
I have recently decided to upgrade to an Anschutz...

The two I've found are listed as a 64 MS, and a 1903. What is reasonable prices for these kind of rifles? Where's the best place to look for decent deals?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm full of them when it comes to Anschutz.

Thanks for the help.
I just got a 54.18 MSR for rimfire metallic Silhouette I stuck a Leupold 6.5 x 20 Vari-X III on it and it has the option to use Anschutz diopter sights as well.
You could use this for bench shooting as well.
I am still getting used to the (5018) 3.5oz trigger as well It seems I saw one advertised on Rimfirecentral recently. It is a great gun.

· Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, with everyone's help I've narrowed my choices. I've decided to buy new (if I can find what I want) so all the dings, scratches, etc, etc will by my own. I mainly want the barrel to be new and broken in 'my' way. However, I'm having trouble deciding between two models, the 64 MPR and the 64 MS. I've eliminated the 5418MS due to the cost (hope I don't regret that) and the 1903 due to stock design.

I think I prefer the 64 MS but don't know if it would be as good for bench shooting as the 64 MPR - forend and grip angle. Isn't the bottom of the forend stippled? If so, this would prevent the stock from sliding in the bags properly, could some tape be used to provide a slick surface and removed when shooting MS? Any feedback about that would be appreciated.

I also don't know if the 64 MPR would be as good for MS shooting due to the stock design. Again, feedback is gratefully accepted. Also, if I go with the 64 MPR I think I'd prefer the stainless barrel....any thoughts on this? Less or more accurate? Longevity??? No difference except looks????

It's really tough trying to find one gun to satisfy two purposes. I imagine it would be easier to buy two, but I can't justify that expense.

You guys have been great, I'm almost there!!!! Thanks.

· Registered
295 Posts
anschutz

sounds like you want an all around gun and that is exactly what the 64 mpr is. has a great trigger, very well balanced, adjustable butt plate and shoots very good. there is no reason to buy the stainless barrel.

· Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got one ordered!

Well, I took the plunge today and bought a 64 MPR from Champions Choice. Once my FFL dealers paperwork gets there it will be on the way! I'm really looking forward to it's arrival, but tell me....what will I need to do to it if anything? Bedding, free floating, anything??? I know I'll have to study the trigger adjustments and figure out the way I want it, but don't know if there is anything else.

Thank you all for the great input and advise.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.