Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

New Stock

667 22
I got the stock in the mail today and I'll be honest, I'm a little dissapointed. It's not a bad stock but I thought it had more to it. Hopefully it will shape up after a good refinishing. I promised pics so here they are....:t

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I see what you mean AK although a good stripping and oiling and it should be a looker. I've never tried it but read about using an ebony stain. then sand off but the stain really brings the figure out. don't know, never tried.

also you may want to check some of the blackpowder forums. read about a hot stain/oil treatment.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I may have to get some more oil or I have a gallon of boiled linseed oil still.....

I've got some really dark stain but nothing black which I'm guessing the ebony would be, I'll have to check it out at Menards. Hot oil/stain treatment eh.....may look into it.

·
Registered
20,675 Posts
AK,

that looks a lot better than my "nice" ones, lol,

Ebony is the darkest colored stain that min-wax has.
yea, kinda black. tried it on a buds stock which is what he
wanted, but didn't try sanding it down. i think the stock
was birch, a marlin 60,

Rico....

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
What you need is some danish oil and a bottle of walnut oil! The natural walnut oil goes in deep and really makes the color very rich. Followed by a couple hand rubbed coats of danish oil will give the grain a deep look. Then go to the BLO, tung oil or Tru Oil for the finish and you'll get the most out of that piece of wood!

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Heres a link for walnut oil, it adds a richness to the color of the wood, penatrates deep and seals out moisture. Its a great start to a true hand rubbed oil finish, and promotes a real richness to the color and depth to the figure in the grain. The Danish oil is also great for adding depth to the grain and figure. Then the regular oil finishes top it off nicely for a good hard gloss finish. Thats how I finish all my walnut stocks, it works great and really brings out the grain and color!
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyId=5223

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
AK - I think that stock will turn out to be a looker once you give it a once over...

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm only a little picky:) I've thought about picking up some Danish oil but not sure of the outcome, so many different choices LOL. The walnut oil looks interesting also.

I got down to buisness this afternoon and sanded all the bumps and bruises out, started with 100 grit and 180 grit. Couple more sandings with some finer grit and she'll be good to go. Stocks always look better once the old factory finish comes off, it's a little blonde in the forend.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Been getting a newer computer going so I havn't been on much and can't find my software disk for the new camera so on with the old....

Well here is the end result, I stayed with the same ole Tung Oil. In the first pic it's the stock on the bottom, the middle one is something I had found while digging around. It had been sanded but never finished. The top one is done with boiled linseed oil.

The second pic....new stock on the top, and the linseed on the bottom.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Man that just isn't right, having 3 beautiful stocks just wanting a action for them.

Just very very nice, I like all three of them. Love the tung oil, but I really like the boiled linseed oiled stock also. Really darkens it.

Great work AK, don't think I've ever seen 1 man with so many beautiful stocks.

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
Man AK, all three of those stock look wonderful. Great job as always and thanks for posting up the pics. :bthumb:

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys:) I'm all out of stocks to refinish but I keep an eye out for a new project. I also would like to find a DSP that has some real nice character in it...maybe someday.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.