Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Without any experience with the HB, I can't say anything bad or good about the 504 heavy barrel rifle, but if you're looking to get into competitive benchrest shooting, I recommend you look into used benchrest rifles or match rifles based on the Anschutz 54 action, Rem. 40X, Turbo, Time, or other customized, benchrest rifles. They are made for benchrest and have proven records. Even if they have a few quirks, they can usually be fixed at little cost. The Anschutz 64 MP is about as cheap as should be considered for competition.

Don't handicap yourself with a non-competitive design. Get a very competitive rifle, even if you have to re-mortgage the farm. It's that important! A second-rate shooter with an unproven rifle and cheap ammo won't ever be more than third rate. Sorry, but it's an expensive sport in most places.

Yes, anyone can shoot about anything in the RimfireCentral matches, but there isn't a lot to lose and you don't have to spend a lot of money travelling to shoots.

That said, if you buy a Rem 504 heavy barrel, spend big bucks to get it competitive...and win, God bless you.

Picher

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Picher

I really appreciate the feedback. I have shot Hunter Benchrest for many years, so I know the wisdom of your words "Buy the best and cry but once", as my pappy used to say. Others tell me that the 504 action is a winner, but there are serious doubts about the 14.5 twist rate.
I have my eye on a 52C heavy gun that is very competitive, all I have to do now is kill the gentleman who owns it.
Thanks gain,
Craig

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.