Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I (again) was poking around the web for information on 22LR bolt action rifles, when I stumbled upon an announcement for a few new releases from Savage. Four (4) of the bunch are rimfire, 22LR and 17HMR.

Caliber: 22 Long Rifle
Action: Bolt
Twist Rate: 1:16
Barrel: 22" (Blued)
Magazine: 5 round detachable box
MSRP: $569

Twist Rate: 1:16
Barrel: 16.5" (Blued)
MSRP: $315

Action: Semi-Auto
Twist: 1:16
Barrel: 16.5" (Blued)
Magazine: 10 round detachable box
MSRP: $315

Caliber: 17HMR
Twist: 1:9
Barrel: 22" (Blued)
MSRP: $575

All guns have a Black Tacti-cool/Target style stock, with Picatinny/Weaver Rail Mounts and Adjustable Triggers. Also all barrels seem to be Bull/Heavy/Varmint but there is no specification. I can't get a link to work, but you can go under "Gun Finder" and check the boxes for "22 LR" and "17 HMR" and the one for "NEW".. all 4 will pop up!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Call me weird, but I was hoping they'd announce something with a tube magazine. No clip to lose, enough ammo loaded for a day of squirrel hunting, easier to carry, with the balance a bit muzzle heavy. It it also had a walnut stock, a 24" barrel and was D&T'd for peep sights, my cup runneth over. Guess I'll have to be content with the old Marlin a bit longer.

Ya' listenin' Savage??
Bob

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well your "old marlin" could be outdated :)
I have another post discussing that Marlin has released a whole new line of 22LR, 22 WMR and 17 HMR. They have a BEAUTIFUL nickel plated barrel and tube loader with a wooden stock. It's kind of like the laminates but more realistic looking! Its called the XT-22WMR (I THINK!!!!)

·
Registered
412 Posts
64 TRR-SR ,MKII TRR-SR,MKII FV-SR,9317 TRR-SR are the models that they released at shot shot they are all factory threaded 1/2x28 and wear the tactical stock except the FV-SR it comes with a plain synthetic stock.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Two things I really hate about the 64.

1.) The mag release button. Not only is it in the worst possible location, the design and spring tension is horrible.

2.) No last shot hold-open.

IMHO, until they change those 2 things, I honestly couldn't recommend the 64 to anyone no matter what else they do to it.

The last annoyance is the rear sight. I couldn't find a way to remove it without literally breaking it off. So I broke it off.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The last annoyance is the rear sight. I couldn't find a way to remove it without literally breaking it off. So I broke it off.
hahaha you honestly just made my night!! But I do so agree with the release button.. they should have thought about that. For me I think they are nice looking, but I wouldn't buy one. Figured they said "NEW!!!!" so I would post about them if anyone was interested! I'm looking at Marlins XT series! :D

NRA: 3 Rivers Of Freedom Conference and Gun Show in Pittsburgh, PA, on April 30th! Gonna hold one of them babies :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tacti-cool is huge right now!
Don't get me wrong, I think there are some SWEET lookin' guns out on the market with Tacti-cool stocks and all that stuff, but I think the manufacturers are trying to make EVERYTHING Tacti-cool now :/

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Call me weird, but I was hoping they'd announce something with a tube magazine.
Funny, I specifically avoid tube fed .22LRs. I find them slow to load and reload and much more difficult to be sure they are really empty. If you hunt and have to unload each time you drive to a new location, that gets to be a real annoyance.

I'm particularly against them as guns for children or new shooters for the safety aspect.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I took an FV-SR and put it in a TRR stock (tacticool) and it's the ultimate rifle for me with the 16.5" barrel. I liked the FV-SR so much I bought two more and put the action from the TRR in the original FV-SR synthetic and traded it to my nephew for some work on my truck.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't think 21" was too long for a rifle. Now the 28" that a standard shotgun barrel has, is ridiculously long... but 21 for a rifle isn't too bad, IMO.

I honeslty don't know how a 16.5" barrel is too accurate... A lot of the 10/22 replacement barrels are standard at 16.5" and I find it annoying and funky looking for a rifle... agian IMO. :bthumb:

But I think i could get my muzzel threaded and wait till i save up again to get a good suppressor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.