Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I looked at a used standard Ruger 22 yesterday, and put about 150 rounds through it. We both liked it, and since I had an OT check coming in today, we went back to pick it up today. While were were there, I noticed a Mk III 22/45, with a bull barrel, and target sights for not a lot more money than the used MK II.

We got the MK III, went around back to the range, and ran 400 rounds of Remington HV ammo through it. Once we got the sights adjusted, the little gun was blowing the 10 ring out of the target at 7 yards. Time to think about moving the targets back a bit I guess.

This one is a good one. We'll keep it.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The thin grip if the 22/45 series and the slightly thinner grip of the MkIII 22/45 fit very well into the typically smaller sized hands of female shooters. Pistol size and weight are the two most common complaints I hear from female shooters but 22/45's are great choices for reducing those problems for smaller handed shooters.

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing I've realized is that this pistol will shoot a lot better than my old eyes can see, especially as I start to move the target back a bit. I picked up a red dot sight for it, and I'm going to see how I like that. It looks "cool" on the gun, I know that. I've never shot a pistol with any kind of optical sight before so this should be interesting.

Anyone have experience with them on this type gun?

·
Registered
488 Posts
CajunBass said:
One thing I've realized is that this pistol will shoot a lot better than my old eyes can see, especially as I start to move the target back a bit. I picked up a red dot sight for it, and I'm going to see how I like that. It looks "cool" on the gun, I know that. I've never shot a pistol with any kind of optical sight before so this should be interesting.

Anyone have experience with them on this type gun?
I bought a red dot for my Mk II. I loved it so much all of my handguns have them now.

Buy a cheap one to see if you like it. If you do like it, then you can always upgrade to a nicer one. My first one was a $30 BSA Red dot from Walmart.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ruger 22/45

If you'd like to see some really impressive accuracy (and more importantly - consistency), add one of the aluminum Pac-Lite barrels/receiver from Tactical Solutions to your 22/45. I have the 4-1/2" version. My groups tightened up 50% with the Pac-lite.

The major reduction in weight really transforms the gun. It handles like a dream. The relatively heavy 22/45 becomes a neat trail gun.

Also makes the Ruger look great. The Pac-Lite is really an impressive piece of work!

R/ Jim

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LD, the BSA RD30 is the one I picked up. Like you said, I figured I'd try an inexpensive one to see if I liked it on the pistol, if not, I could put it on a 22 rifle. Here's what it looks like. The group in the picture was shot at 7 yards using the open sights.

·
Registered
488 Posts
CajunBass said:
LD, the BSA RD30 is the one I picked up. Like you said, I figured I'd try an inexpensive one to see if I liked it on the pistol, if not, I could put it on a 22 rifle. Here's what it looks like. The group in the picture was shot at 7 yards using the open sights.

Looks good. I'm sure you will like it. I still have my BSA red dot on mine. Haven't seen a reason to upgrade yet.

·
Registered
488 Posts
CajunBass said:
I took the red dot to the range today and had a problem with it right off the bat. I couldn't see the dot in the sunlight. Is that normal? Battery low maybe?
The dot is often harder to see in direct sun light, but you should still be able to see it. Was the rheostat(sp) turned to 11?

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok. I'm stupid. I had it mounted backwards. I've never seen a scope where the windage adjustments were on the left side, all I've ever seen were on the right. The directions don't say "this side toward enemy" for dum dum's like me. Anyway, I got it turned around, and pointing the right direction, and took it to the range today and it works.

·
Registered
488 Posts
CajunBass said:
Ok. I'm stupid. I had it mounted backwards. I've never seen a scope where the windage adjustments were on the left side, all I've ever seen were on the right. The directions don't say "this side toward enemy" for dum dum's like me. Anyway, I got it turned around, and pointing the right direction, and took it to the range today and it works.
Glad to hear! I almost asked if you had it mounted backwards, but I assumed you would get it figured out.

How did you like it?

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like it a lot. My eyes are getting old, so having a single plane to focus on helps a lot. I'm no great shot, but I was able to hold most of 50 shots into a 2 1/2 inch circle at 15 yards, (offhand) which is pretty good for me. The big thing I noticed is that I was able to call my shot mentally. If the dot wasn't on the bull, I knew I had missed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.