Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New Rimfire Owner - Update, Range Report

Hello folks. I'm a brand new rimfirecentral forumite and I've just picked up a new Savage 93R17-GV. Picked it up at a local gunshow, traded a Sig P230 for it.

I have to say that for my first ever rifle, I'm pretty excited by the potential of the little bugger. I added a Tasco 6x24x42 Varmint and a Harris bipod. I learned a lot about scopes and such from you guys here and though you might disagree with my choices, I feel I was able to make an informed decision. I also learned here about the choices on mounts so when I goofed on the Leupold medium rings, I was able to go out and pick up a set of Weaver #45 mounts to make things right.

A Rifle Basix sear replacement is probably in my future but I want to try the rascal out "as is" of the box, first.

Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for my first trip to the range to try every thing out. As soon as I do, you can bet I'll be back with a report and probably a few questions.

Thanks for the help whether you knew it or not. :)

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
You've got yourself a nice shootin rifle :t , you're really going to like it. Nice scope too, you could have done better (for more money!!) but you could have done a lot worse.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That is a very nice rig. I have the exact same outfit except my gun us the FV model. But I have same scope and bipod. It is a lot of fun!! I thought of a new trigger, but I am very happy with what it does with the factory trigger. It smacks gophers easily at 120-150 yards! Sends them flying! Enjoy! Mine is brand new as well (under 300 rounds) and it gets better everytime!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I couldn't help myself.

I went ahead and put a Rifle Basix sear kit in and WOW! What a difference.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

had them in stock and cheaper than anybody else. Paid for 2 day and got it overnight. Goes right in and takes virtually all of the side ot side trigger play out of the action as well. Crisp trigger pull with again, virtually no take up. I'm still playing with it though.

Can't help it, I'm a tinker-er. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
That RB sear makes a hell of a nice trigger doesn't it ;) . If ya tinker with it long enough you can get it down to 8 ounces but then ya gotta close the bolt reeeal slow :p . Not good for huntin but it's nice for the bench. Midsouth is a great place to do business. Did ya check out their ammo prices while you were there?? I bought a case this spring, you get all the same lot number. Came to $7.39/box delivered right to my front door in 2 days. I need to re-order another case soon :( .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Make sure that you try a lot of different ammo in it as well. It seems that each gun has its preference. So try about 4-5 kinds just to see which shoots better. Over time and as the barrel is breaking in, you may also notice that it will start to like something else as well. Mine never liked the hollow points but now it shoot them OK. Not as good as the V-max ones but accurate enough to kill gophers. It also depends on how clean it is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Range Report

Took a day off work and went to the range. It was HOT!!! It was like Uganda out there. Slight breeze, almost nonexistant, mostly in my face. Had more trouble keeping my eyeglasses clear of sweat than anything else.

Anyway, this is my first rifle and my first rifle range report so please bear with me a bit.

Set up was a snap. Harris bipod is a wonderful piece and I recommend the LM model with the stepped legs instead of the the friction set. Bipod was very stable and proved it's worth to me on the bench.

First set up for 25 yds. Tasco scope dialed in after about 10 rounds and was dead on after that. Went through about 50 rounds of CCI HP Speer TNT's and Hornady V-Max Varmint Express. Ended up with quarter sized groups.

Back up to 50 yds. and re-dialed the Tasco. A little more effort needed here because of my in-experience with a rifle but still keeping everything on the 2" diameter Shoot-n-c's I need to use. Obviously I have a lot of practice to do.

Tried the 20gr. Hornady XTP and started to loose the center of the bulls-eye. Rounds drifted high and right pretty consistantly. A few clicks and everything is back on the 2" target.

Conclusions before the heat stroke gets me. About 150 rounds in 2 hours (public range with cease fires every 15 minutes). I fed most of the rounds by hand. Rifle is darn nice and an absolute dream to shoot. The Rifle Basix trigger job made a phenominal difference in the shooting experience. Felt so much like the match trigger in my 1911 that would be hard to tell which is smoother. Scope seems like it will work out just fine. Harris bipod well worth the $50.00 to me. Ammo does not seem to matter much though the CCI seemed the best to me although I didn't get very many rounds through it. A 2 hour range trip with a pistol and I usually get 5-6 hundred rounds in.

I could really get to like this target shooting thing. It's a nice diversion and it's different enough from the pistol shooting I do (major and minor USPSA) to really bring on the challenge.

I think I'm going to wait for a day less than 105 degrees (heat index) to try it again.

Thanks for the input of a lot of people here for getting me started.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.