Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

New Rifle, What a Deal!

1615 33
To preface this post, I have been looking hard at getting a 22 caliber centerfire rifle for a couple of weeks now and hadn't quite decided between getting a .223 or a 22-250. I almost pulled the trigger on getting a used Remington 700 VTR .223 earlier this week but decided against it, partly because I hadn't heard positive things about the stock and partly because I thought it would be more responsible of me to wait a month or so and to be more frugal. Well, once I saw this deal today all prudence went out the window...

Here is what I got for $400.

Savage 12BVSS .223[stainless, fluted heavy barrel on a laminated stock]
Harris Bipod
Plastic hardshell case
4-16x50 Nikko Stirling Scope[decent scope though I plan on getting a Leupold VX-II]

As an added bonus, the guy gave me 100 rounds of Remington UMC 223 rounds and also 60 rounds of PMC Bronze 223.

:Blasting_ :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the compliments everyone and thanks for the ammo recommendations! This is actually the rifle I had decided on after passing on the 700 VTR, someone on this forum was selling their .223 for $600...I figured I would wait a month and if it was still around, make an offer. Well I saw this deal on another forum I frequent and my jaw dropped...this was a deal I could not pass up. I won't be able to shoot it this weekend unfortunately so hopefully next weekend!

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dont pass Go, go directly to JAIL. You stole that IMO.
I think so too! I was sure the seller had made a typo and the whole time we were doing the transfer I was dying to ask him why he was selling it so cheap or if he knew the actual value of everything he was giving me. I kept my mouth shut though, didn't want to ruin a good thing!

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm thinking my next rig is going to be .243 too...

That way I can shoot deer if I want and also use the .243 as a backup varmint gun. Of course I want to get a new carry pistol first since my Sig is a little big...

I only started shooting recently and my one buddy who is an avid hunter keeps telling me about the heyday of cheap ammo. I've been looking for a deal on .223 ammo and I want to buy a couple of cases but man for the price of ammo, I could buy a new gun!

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Oh man, I'm really sorry about beating you to that deal but not too sorry! :D The funny thing is I saw it when he first posted it up without a price and it just said "Make An Offer"...I figured he would want something like $600-$700 for that whole thing so I was thinking "Nah, I'll pass because I don't really want to pay extra for a scope I don't really want." I looked at it again about 1/2 hour later and saw that it said $400 for everything. :eek: :eek:

I will certainly keep you in mind when it comes time to replace the scope and I'll definitely offer some sort of deep discount...of course, I have to ask around to my other shooting buddies first and if they pass you're welcome to it. I'd actually never heard of Nikko before, I looked up the price of the scope I got and it was around $200 new! It came with a sunshade too which I'll leave on there.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Nice score! I'm sure you will enjoy it. I have something similar. A 12vlp in .22-250 with a Sightron SII 6-24x. It shoots great. I didnt like the flat finish on the stock so I stripped mine and refinished.
That's a nice looking rifle, mine should look like that sometime soon once I get a stainless scope on it. I actually like the Low Profile stock shape a little more but I couldn't be happier with the deal I got. This is my first Savage and between the Accutrigger and the accuracy of this gun, I'm sold.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.