Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

New Purchase

319 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  ShootNut
Hey,
I've been snooping on this forum for a month or so now and finally decided to get a .17HMR. I dont know the model number but it is a Savage with the wood stock and bull barrel. At the time of the purchase I went ahead and got the BSA Sweet 17 scope that goes from 3-12X.
Havent had a chance to shoot it yet but I was wondering how often you guys clean your rifles out. With my .22 all I would really have time for was to shoot a box of 50 though it and be done, so at the end of the day I would run a few patches through it and call it a day.
My main reason for getting the .17HMR was because I have permission to shoot prairie dogs off of a mans lot of land. He is a truck driver so hes never there and the pdogs have literally came up under his porch. I will get as many as I can each day but after a few minutes they have figured me out and stay under ground. Thats where the .17 and the sweet 17 come in to play cause all I have left is the longer 50-200 yard shots.
Sorry for the such long post but basically do you need to run a patch thought the barrel every 10 rounds or what? Shootin pdogs is new for me and you obviously have to be near perfect on your accuracy to make a successful day of it.
Give me any kind of insigts you guys have and stories on experiences with the Sweet 17 or just the 17 in general.

Thanks
Philip
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4,871 Posts
Good choice the 93 Savage is a good rifle. You'll find it may take some shooting to break it in to where you can shoot them dogs at 200yrds. Most of these guns shoot pretty good out of the box, but need a little break in before they start shooting there best. As for cleaning I treat mine just like my .22's. Just every so offten I run a wet patch and a couple dry ones down the barrel, Im talking every 50 to 100 rounds. I have over 2000 rounds through one of mine, its never had a brush in it. I just try to keep the fowlling down by using a patch every now and then. And when the accuracy starts to drop off I'll give it a good cleaning. I'll scrub it out good with several wet patches followed a bunch of dry ones until they come out clean. I usally dont have to scrub it out till I start getting up around 2-300 rounds.

Have fun, these little .17's are fun to shoot, very accurate and should be very deadly on p-dogs. You will find though they dont like wind. I have found mine run pretty good in winds up to about 10MPH, but even there I have to adjust a little for the wind.

I havent used any of the sweet 17 scopes yet, but they are a good looking scope. Im sure someone here will fill you in on them.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the usefull information Nut. I just got done shooting my .17 today at the farm. I was looking bad at first. I shot probabally 15 shots and didnt know where a single shot landed. Finally after finding it was shooting 12" right and high I got it to start hitting paper. Wasn't impressed with Bass Pro bore sighting the scope, but I havent heard anyone having any kind of luck with bore sighting techniques. I was shooting at prairie dog pictures printed off of the beartooth website, using the CCI TNT rounds. (All that wal-mart had.) After I was pleased with the results for the first time out and actually making kill shots on Pdogs on paper at approx. 200ft. I let the wife give it a try. Must say for as blind as she is I was more than impressed. Cant wait to put another 50 rounds though it.
One rather agravating problem that I did notice was when attempting to chamber each round several would not want to chamber. Is this a common problem or is there a trick to it? Its like I am not getting the magazine fully seated up, but every time I double check it wont go up any father, just got to keep fiddling with it and it will chamber. Any one else got any info on that? I will try to search the forums for info but sometimes it can be just as agravating trying to find info on a specific problem.

Thanks again
Philip

· Registered
4,871 Posts
That has been a common problem. Not really a problem to fix though. Most find the easiest way to fix it is to slightly bend the magizine post forward. If you take the gun out of the stock, the magizine post is the is the heavy metal piece that the back of the magizine goes on when you put it in the gun. Most find if you move the spring latch out of the way and just put a wrench or something over the end of it and bend it forward just a little, it changes the angle the magizine sets in the gun and solves the feeding problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.