Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

After reading around here for a while I went out and bought a NEF in 17 hmr.
Took it to the range today (after a good clean) to see how it would shoot.
After some sighters to get the scope in the ballpark I fired several groups.
They were all around 1 1/2 inches with Hornady 17 grain ammo.
It was raining lightly and to be fair I was probably hurrying things along a little,I am sure that after a few more rounds and kinder conditions it will shoot sub 1 inch.
One concern however was a split in the neck/shoulder of one of the cases.
Only one out of 20, anyone come across this before?
Out of interest I measured some of the fired cases and compared them to cases from a friends marlin, they averaged a thou or so larger in most places.
Any ideas?

Cheers,

Greg

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Welcome to RFC, Mate!! :Welcome: Split cases is not a new subject, there are a couple threads on it, not to worry unless it happens a lot. You'll get the best accuracy with the Sportster if you pull the trigger fully to the rear and not release it at the break. The transfer bar mechanism requires consistency in trigger pull follow through to allow consistent firing pin strikes. If the trigger pull is heavier than you like, there are a couple links I can post for you for DIY trigger hones, if you're interested... :D

Tim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tim,

Guess its no problem then, should have done a search first.
I have seen a few threads on floating the forend on NEF arms,is this nesessary with the 17 as it has such a thick barrell?
The forend on mine is a snug but not tight fit,but I notice where it pivots against the action it is slowly shaving plastic off the back of the forend,so I suppose it will take care of itself.
The trigger pull out of the box was fine,2 pounds or so with no creep.
I will bear in mind to pull it all the way to the rear,I had noticed the indent from the firing pin looked a little light.

Cheers,

Greg

·
36,633 Posts
Also, if shooting off bags, remember to place the front bags, rest as far back to the action as possible. This helps virutally all break action rifles. :t

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Placing a neoprene "O"ring on the barrel stud may or may not help, it doesn't hurt to try one. Info on the "O"ring can be found about half way down the page at the first link below....You'll have to register but there's lots of good info there that is specific to the NEF/H&R rifles.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=26264

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=133

Vincent is 100% right about the forward rest position, I even bought an adjustable shooting rest that is perfect for shooting break barrel rifles and it works real well.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I really like it, I was a bit apprehensive at first when Mac(GBO moderator) suggested I check it out, he'd seen one at the range and shot over it. But, after shooting over it myself, I'm glad I splurged! It's easy to adjust and extremely solid. It doesn't help with recoil though, shooting full house loads in my 45-70!!! I think I'll use my Benchmaster for that next time!!!

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
Let me know how it compares to the Benchmaster. Also do you shoot better groups off of it vs. shooting from a bipod or a good front rest like the Rock and a rear sandbag combo. So far at 100yds. I like the Rock front rest and a rear sandbag setup. My best groups with the Cooper 17HMR are coming off of this setup. The Cooper has no studs on stock, so I can't shoot from a bipod. I use to use a bipod front rest on my 17VS and rear sandbag combo and done real well with it as well. The Benchmaster so far at 100yds. hasn't been near as consistant for me. I have done well with it at 50yds though. Maybe it's me.

Brad

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
The benchmaster works ok, but as far as I'm concerned, it's better for heavy recoil firearms than it is as a support for shooting. I shot over a Caldwell Rock jr and Caldwell rear bag before, but the Premier rest is so much more solid, very little of my body movement is transmitted to the rifle, much less for me than the Caldwell stuff. And the Premier is adjustable so I can place the forward rest under the forend pivot on the H&R rifles which is almost manditory for good shooting with them. My .223 Ultra Varmint is the only one that I've been able to get consistent accuracy using a bipod, all the rest that I've tried a bipod on or a conventional forward rest position, don't shoot as good.

Tim

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
Hey Tim,
One last question for you. Can you adjust the legs on that rest? I'm sure you can, but just thought I would ask. One more before I go. When you tighten the front part of rest down, is it super solid as far as no side by side tilt or play? This is what I don't like about the Benchmaster because even when you lock it down the rest has some play or tilt from side to side. Thanks.

Brad

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.