Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw a Model 1897 with a 20" (I think?) octagonal barrel. The guy at the shop said it was a new model, just received. Asking price was $450. Anyone know anything about this gun and if the price is fair?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Sounds like an 1897T for Texan. Straight grip, 20" octagon barrel. If it's NIB the price is okay. Just received from where? This rifle was discontinued last year (2004) IIRC.

It's also entirely possible that Marlin saw fit to re-introduce it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fullchoke said:
Sounds like an 1897T for Texan. Straight grip, 20" octagon barrel. If it's NIB the price is okay. Just received from where? This rifle was discontinued last year (2004) IIRC.

It's also entirely possible that Marlin saw fit to re-introduce it.
Is this model marked "1897T"? I looked at several guns in the shop I was in and just don't remember if it had the "T" on the barrel. the gun definitely looked new, but I have no idea what he meant by "just received".

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Fan of 22s said:
Is this model marked "1897T"? I looked at several guns in the shop I was in and just don't remember if it had the "T" on the barrel. the gun definitely looked new, but I have no idea what he meant by "just received".
On the barrel just forward of the rear sight is stamped "1897 TEXAN". I bought mine in April 2003. Marlin no longer shows this model on their website, but it's quite possible a distributor had some in inventory.

BTW; I still see an occassional 1897 Texan NIB at gunshows, so they are still out there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.