Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new member, after "lurking" for awhile and enjoying the enthusiasm and expertise that is evident here.

As of yesterday I'm the proud owner of a 452 American .22 WMR. I need a scope for it to use for both target shooting and hunting. Most shooting will be done in the 25 - 100 yard range.

Would appreciate ideas/recommendations for a good rimfire variable power scope
in the $50 - 150 range.

Thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have Bushnell 4-12X40 AO scopes on mine. The Banner and Trophy lines will give you a good scope within your price range. Be sure and get an AO scope or you will end up replacing it later.
Welcome to the addiction! :D

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
minkling said:
I have a Simmons ATV, I know that they are discontinued, but you can find them. Nice, clear and not too expensive.
:yeahthat:

I've got one on a CZ and one on a 10/22.
They are a great scope for the money.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would suggest any scope made by Swift ...

Heres a link..

http://www.eabco.com/Swift01.htm

Excellent ..clear glass and very surprising quality for the price ..
I have heard their quality compared with Leupold ..really !

I have one on my Ruger M77MK2 .220 Swift .. Very nice.

A much cheaper scope but still very good is the NcStar range..
still good glass ..I have one of these on my Brno ..(changing to a Silhouette )
it's hard to beat the lifetime warranty.

Joe

·
Registered
131 Posts
Up until today I had a Banner Elite on mine for a year and could not find a good position for eye relief, plus I was never crazy about the optic quality when compared to my Simmons ATV which I have on my 77/22 WMR.

So I mounted the Simmons AETEC 3.8-12x44 AO with lighted reticle. At $129 from Natchez it's an excellent value and a step up from the ATV (which is a heck of a scope - eBay ~$85). I was a little leary of the illuminated reticle but it looks like it will be a nice feature on those times hunting squirrel in heavy cover.

As a side note, the BKL rings are the nicest I've seen or owned for a CZ. Nothing else I've tried fit quite as well.

·
Registered
519 Posts
hunting/target

Before you buy, be sure check the specifications of the scope. Mainly the length. 12.5" to 13" in length and 40 to 42mm objective is about as large as you want to go on the American. Trust me I learned the hard way a bigger scope just does not look right on the gun. Bigger inexpensive scopes have good optics, but they just don't look right on a sporter. To see the bullseye at 100 yards you really need 12x. I like the Swift 4x12x40, Simmons Atec 3.5x12x44, Bushnell Banner 4x12x40. All have adjustable objectives and I know the Swift will adjust down to 10 yards.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I have a Weaver 2-7X variable and it is a "Best Buy" from my experience. I haven't used most of the scopes mentioned above, so I can't comment on them. But, the Weaver has been used successfully on mild springer air Rifles like the R-7, so it is made very well, able to withstand the scope killing recoil these rifle present. This is a popular scope among the air rifle enthusiasts. I had mine on an R-7 for a while. It is a very clear scope too. I now have mine mounted on a Remington 510 22RF. They run around $120.
Don

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.