Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

New member of the Mossberg Family needs help...

378 Views 14 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Hamish
...I purchased a BEAUTIFUL Mossy 144LSA. It is perfect!!!! No schratches on the stock...none...I can't find any wear on the blueing. I've really never seen a used rifle in this good of condition..

My question is ...1)Did I pay too much($120. from an individual)
2) How well do these things shoot?

I'm new to Mossberg and really just started reading the Mossberg forum two days ago and Voila! this thing falls in my lap.

I want something to shoot 25 to 50 yards from the bench and the varmint around the house with subsonics.

Thanks in advance and he also has a model 141 Semi for the same price. Should I get it as well? Thanks again.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Nice deal...

You did very well... the 144's shoot great and usually start in the neighborhood of $200 with some wear. Did you really have to ask :D ? What else could you buy for $120?

Is the semi a model 151 (not familiar with a 141)? Is it Mannlicher stocked? If it's in the same condition, that too would be a nice deal.

Jack

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, as far as the Semi, I wrote down 141 maybe I wrote it down wrong. I need to pick up a scope for the 144. I'm thinking maybe a Bushy 4200 in a 4-16 or a 6-24, we'll see.

P.S. It does not have a full stock. The stock looks almost identical to the 144 but the gun is a semi. :confused:

· Registered
1,066 Posts
BOLIO said:
Thanks, as far as the Semi, I wrote down 141 maybe I wrote it down wrong. I need to pick up a scope for the 144. I'm thinking maybe a Bushy 4200 in a 4-16 or a 6-24, we'll see.

I had a 144LS and did all the tricks I could to get it to shoot well. It seemed to peak at about 3/4" at 50 yards. Your results may vary, but I found the chamber of mine to be rather large in diameter and the trigger impossible to get under 2 lbs with consistentency. Backing out the trigger strain screw too far caused the action to fail to cock, as I remember.

I wouldn't spend nearly $400 to scope a $180 rifle. It won't really matter whether it has an expensive or inexpensive scope. The Simmons 4-14X scopes that I have are really clear and have an adjustable objective. They're clearer than a lot of more expensive scopes. The 4-14x isn't available any more, but there are others that are. Just be sure to get an adjustable objective or get an airgun/rimfire scope that is adjusted for 50 yard parallax.

Picher

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hamish, Thanks, I have an addictive personality, so I will have a closet full of them in no time. :p

Picher, I am looking for an excuse to buy one of these scopes (4200). If this gun isn't a shooter, I have a few others that are. I have no loyalty to scopes. I use Simmons, Bushnell, Zeiss, Tasco( I love the Titan series :D ), and I am a big fan of Burris. I've got my eye on a Swarovski, 6-18 variable(but my wife would KILL me). :1t

Thanks for the replies

· Registered
10,865 Posts
keep smiling

:D keep smiling :D :D they won't all come that easy . You made a killing. around here one like that would bring close to $400.00 any good 144 will get close to the $300.00 mark. you got a real good rifle for less than the price of a chipmunk toy. :D welcome aboard. WARNING!!! MOSSBERGS ARE ADDICTIVE ---JIM-- :t...GEE, IF YA REALLY WANT TO PART WITH IT. i HAVE A 144 AND A 144LSB ,,didn't get the middle sister yet.

· Registered
543 Posts
Or you could have spent a load of cash on a 10/22 and then found yourself spending hundreds more upgrading it to be able to keep up with the average dusty out of the box Mossy.:p

BTW...does your Mossy have sling Swivels?

Cheers!
H.

· Registered
10,865 Posts
Can't just have one like the chips

:D WARNING THEY ARE ADDICTIVE!!! :D This is what happens after awhile breathing Mossberg dust. I had a guy do the vinyl graphics and used the reflective stuff like on the highway signs for the plate, if I hit it with my mag lite a 50' it looks like its' lit up super bright, this was with the flash. :D I'm addicted I'll admit it.--- :D --Jim-- :D (click to enlarge)

· Registered
381 Posts
Any gun that's old....

Mossy's are my favorites, and the 151 is one of the best. While I don't shoot at public ranges much, I haven't had anyone out shoot my 151 with open sights yet. And I'm older than my gun :D
However, I'll buy any old 22, regardless of manufacture if it's a good shooter, or has the potential to be. I have old Marlin's, Savage's, store brands, that are good shooters. Stocks may be alittle rough, but who cares. I just bought a Winchester 250 lever......haven't seen it yet, seller claims it's trash, but we'll see what I can do with it.
So don't ignore brands other than Mossberg.

See, Ham, I'm trying to put them off Mossy's, so there are more for you and me. :angel:

· Registered
10,865 Posts
just bought a 250 winny

Slowalkintexan said:
Mossy's are my favorites, and the 151 is one of the best. While I don't shoot at public ranges much, I haven't had anyone out shoot my 151 with open sights yet. And I'm older than my gun :D
However, I'll buy any old 22, regardless of manufacture if it's a good shooter, or has the potential to be. I have old Marlin's, Savage's, store brands, that are good shooters. Stocks may be alittle rough, but who cares. I just bought a Winchester 250 lever......haven't seen it yet, seller claims it's trash, but we'll see what I can do with it.
So don't ignore brands other than Mossberg.

:t 250 Winny. I just sold one I had bought new w/ the box and papers for $250.00 to raise money for the auction with the left hand mossey I bought.--Jim--

· Registered
543 Posts
Slowalkintexan wrote:
"See, Ham, I'm trying to put them off Mossy's, so there are more for you and me."

Yah we might have a chance...they don't last long when they come up for sale, yikes! :D

Seen this one?
"045 Yes Bolt Mossberg 183KC .410ga. G+ $95.00" (Canadian prices)
Link

Also I want one of those Licence plates, that's cool. :D

Cheers!
H.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.