Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm new to RC.com and after a 15 year absence from rimfire shooting i'm getting ready to dive back in. Have looked at everything under the sun in .22's, I initially overlooked CZ's although came to my senses today. I'm ready to purchase although could use some advice as well as information.
Looking at the 452 "Special/Standard" and I like the drop-comb very much as it seems to fit me well. Stock is Beechwood and while a bit on the plain side, it gets the job done. Also looked at "American" which had very nice wood/checkering and blueing and appeared to have nicer machining of bolt and ejector/cavity. The problem rest in the fact it did not feel right in my arms, i assume because of the straight comb. My question is: does the "Lux" model have a drop comb like the "Special/Standard though use the same blueing and receiver machining as the "America" version? There seems to a bit of crossover specification changes between USA CZs and European product.....Received a price of 229.99 for "Special/Standard", Does this seem appropriate? Do i pursue this model or something which may have better shooting characteristics in the CZ line?
Thanks for listening,
Dumac

·
Registered
8,814 Posts
As far as I know, the only difference between the Lux and the Special is the stock wood, Lux is walnut, Special is beech. All of the Lux/Specials that I have seen had identical matte finished receivers with the wider Euro scope mounting dovetails. Only polished receivers that I have seen have been Americans and Varmints. And I THINK the Varmint has the Euro dovetails. The prices you've seen are just about the same as around here in Alabama, the Special is $225-$240, the Lux is about $280, the .22 LR Americans go for $300, and the .17 calibers for $315-$330. All of the CZ's with the exception of the American model will have coarse checkering of approximately 14 LPI, while the American model is better detailed at approximately 18 LPI, if I've counted correctly. I am most partial myself to the American model, as American Classic style rifles are my fav-o-rite kind. Aesthetics are a personal thing, many people happen to like the hogback and schnabel styling. I wish they would make the stocks a tad longer and put rubber buttpads on all of them, that hard plastic buttplate looks OK but it is sure slippery, you cannot prop the gun against anything without it crashing. CZ is making a limited amount of American models with fancier walnut, you can read a little about it from their website. Good luck picking the one you like best, and enjoy whichever it happens to turn out to be! :t

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
The Lux is exactly the same thing as the Special/Standard/Trainer, but with a walnut stock instead of the beech. I believe the reciever is bead blasted like the trainer/special. The American versions reciever is polished and blued. I paid $200 plus tax for my special 2 years ago, but CZ's prices have ebbed upward, so $229 is very reasonable. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one at that price. They all shoot about the same, great. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Chunckchucker

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
The standard or trainer or special which ever they call it has a barrel lug
screw and one action screw. The American has two action screws which
is not as critcal for accuracy. The torque on the barrel lug screw on the
special can make all the differents in the world for accuracy. Some people
sand out their barrel channel on their stock to make sure that the wood does
not touch the barrel anywhere. This in most cases has helped with the
accuracy. I have both models. Instead of sanding out the channel in my
trainer I just put a thick washer between the stock and the barrel to free
float the barrel. I have not did anything to the american. They both shoot
fine with 24# of torque on all screws. The lux is the same as the special with
the barrel lug screw. Now I am talking 22 LR. I have seen some specials with
very plain wood and some were much better with a lot of figure in them. It's
the luck of the draw. If you can fine a store that has more than one to see
you can take your pick. $ 229 seems to be the going price for a special now.
IMO. CZ would be better off going with one design and using the two action
screws. The models with the barrel lug screws have drove some people nuts.

·
Registered
242 Posts
One more thing to consider. The special probably felt better because the stock lined your eyes up with the sights. If you plan on using a scope, then the American stock may be the better fit as that is what it is designed for. Either way, you can't go wrong with the CZ!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For everyone who helped with my questions, I appreciate all the feedback, especially all the specification details. CZ's are getting a bit scarce in my area. Dealer had only one Special .22 and one America .22 mag in stock and checked his supplier and their also getting thin at that point. I guess good products catch on fast...These could gain a cult status ultimatley if this keeps up.
Thanks again,
Dumac

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.