Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

New marlin 883 - want opinions

534 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  ky-shooter
I just picked up a brand new model 883 22 mag. rifle at a gun show for $150. It was a total impulse buy as the dealer made it a bargain since I was buying a 98K mauser as well. It seems like a nice rifle, same dimensions as my marlin model 60, both tube fed an all. What are your opinions of this particular make? I see an identical rifle listed in Marlin's 2005 catalog labled as the "983". Is this the same rifle? Do they both have walnut or is the 883 just hardwood?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,339 Posts
athappyhiker said:
I just picked up a brand new model 883 22 mag. rifle at a gun show for $150. I see an identical rifle listed in Marlin's 2005 catalog labled as the "983". Is this the same rifle? Do they both have walnut or is the 883 just hardwood?
Both are equipped with walnut stocks. The 983 has the new trigger unit designated as the T-900 , the main difference between the 883 and 983.

An new 883 for $150 is a steal! :t

· Registered
143 Posts
I have had several of the Mod 25 mags with the hardwood stock and the clip type mags. I prefer the detachable mags instead of the tube fed. The rifles are the same otherwise. The rifles are accurate shooters. The trigger pull does not bother me much. Currently I have an 882 which is the same gun in stainless, poly stock and detachable mag. I put a matching 4X Simmons stainless on it. I have killed 7 javelina with it, one at 125 yds. The cartridge is effective. I use it more often than my larger rifles around the ranch. I found the 882 to be the best one for me cause I can just throw it in the truck and the stock and metal still appear new after 5 years. I was constantly scratching the finish on the woodstock models and they would start rusting if I left them in the truck too long. I almost bought another used 882 at a gunshow today. I was tempted. The Marlins are all great shooters.

· Registered
586 Posts
you did good

I have an 883 SS with laminated stock-- great rifle. I have a K4 weaver scope on mine. A good 4X or 3-9 is about all I figured I needed on a 100 yard rifle. It is a great shooter-- 4 ground hogs with 4 shots this summer. At $150, you got an excellent buy. I think you will be very saitisfied with your purchase. I know I have never regretted getting into the 22mag market-- the only thing I hate is it took me so long to discover what a great rifle the 22 mag is! :t

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.