Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Latest Savage Mark IIGl repair problems

I picked up the .22 rimfire at Walmart on 7/22/05 and gave it a good cleaning. A Weaver V12 was mounted on it.

The trigger was a lot worse than I expected, but figured it would need work or a Basix trigger.
Even so, I ran about 30 rounds of different brands (long rifle)through it. Almost everyone failed to eject while one loaded round failed to extract. It was hard to get a descent group with that miserable trigger. I can't do anything with the trigger till I get this problem cleared up, so it's on hold for now. A dollar bill wouldn't go between the barrel and stock of course, but not really a problem. This is the first bolt action I've run across that doesn't shoot shorts.

Neither Savage nor Walmart would give me a refund. I don't agree with that policy. If it doesn't work you shouldn't have to pay for it. It seems like when you buy something nowdays, you are stuck with it. Savage offered to fix it but I chose to try new parts first. It took 13 days to get the parts. At that point I decided parts wouldn't do it so I sent it back to Savage instead, with a note on how to duplicate the problem.

9/7 When I got it back it wouldn't pull Winchester Expert .22 hpts. out of the chamber, especially if the bolt was pulled back slowly, so I had to use a screwdriver. The spring that holds the clip in had to be pulled back to get the clip in and pushed forwrd to keep it tight, otherwise the last round would hit the barrel and jam.

I took it back to Walmart and they gave me a refund which suprised me.

I called Savage later and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it so I told them (again) to try the same ammo(even though another brand had trouble too) and check the spring.

Two weeks later I called to see about it and they said they sent it back to Walmart, as they couldn't find anything wrong.

I won't buy another Savage because of the trouble I had and also because they didn't believe me and would rather stick it to another shooter. They don't care.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
you should have read my "Wal-Mart Screwed Again" post.

Almost every post here on the mkII/93 mentions the trigger. Suprises on that should have been minimal. I did the trigger shim and hone before I even shot my 93.

Recently there have also been several posts on the wood stocks touching in the barrel channel. I imagine the ambiant temperature and humidity in Canada must be lower, than in IL and certainly less than the 90 degree 90% humidity than it is here in tennessee. I immediately ordered the synthetic stock, and filled all the voids with modelling clay mixed with bb's to get the weight up.

Hopefully Savage fixes you up good. I have heard 99% good out of their customer service department. In fact mine should be getting there today with the trusty patch worm kit and a piece of wood dowel jammed in the barrel (don't ask, even a 25 year experienced gunsmith couldn't get it out).

Don't mean to bash you, but in your wording it sounds as like you weren't expecting any of these problems. Hope yours and mine get back to workin properly soon

Andrew

·
Registered
107 Posts
Some of the Mark IIs seem to have the bolts mis-assembled. The extractor with the sharp hook goes to the port and the tapered guide goes to the inside. The spring should be assembled with the notches to the rear. Mine has never failed to extract or eject with several thousand rounds of various makes of ammo.
Most of these rifles have the potential to be superbly accurate but require some modification to reach their full capabilities. I would not hesitate to recommend these rifles to anyone who is willing to invest a little time to get everything right.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wal Mart does have a No Return policy on all firearms and ammunition sold, it is clearly posted on all the gun cases in every Wal Mart I have been to in the last decade. The only thing I have ever been told concerning this policy is that the warrenty for the item is covered by the manufacture and that Wal Marts FFL is for retail sales only.

As far as escourting the firearm to the door, this too has been a standard Wal Mart policy for many many years. I remember back in the late 70's the manager (dads hunting buddy) walking me and my dad to the front door with my Winchester 30-30 then handing the boxed rifle to my dad who was in full police uniform at the time.

A really good thing about Wal Mart selling firearms is that I can always pick up "like new" firearms from the Pawn Shops at even better prices. People buy them, they have problems, Wal Mart wont exchange/refund, people wont send em to the manufacture for repair and just trade/sell em to a pawn shop who inturn is willing to cut a deal. Got three perfectlly good rifles in the safe now that started out as Wally World specials that came to me via a pawn shop with very minor problems like ejectors, extractors, triggers or bedding issues.

Regulis7

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update

It's been 12 days and Savage never sent the parts.

It has 3 problems now. It won't extract, eject, and has misfired 3 times in a row. There was no mark on the case rim.

After getting used to the trigger I wsa a able to shoot a few nice groups.

All things considered this rifle isn't worth the trouble. I will send it back to the company with another rtequest for a refund.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I am having the same problem but my gun is at Savage being repaired. Bad head spacing, bad bolt and bad ejector.

It is being tested on the 100 yard line Monday and should be back to me in 10 days because of slow shipping.

This gun shot erratic on the first shot (3 inches high or left or low depending on the brand of ammo. then it would start shooting on target. Let it cool for 10 minutes and it would start all over.

They say the gun now shoots 9/16ths groups at 25 yards with federal. They adjusted the trigger pull to 3.2 pounds from 4 something.

This is with a scope.

The first problems were with the scope mount with very erratic problems -- the gun would shoot 9 inches off center at random at 90 degrees. Sturdier scope mounts solved this problem. Then the it settled into the heat related erratic first and 2nd and third shots.

I hope it is now solved
________
SUZUKI RG150 SPECIFICATIONS

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ledmun,

I'm glad you responded. It was hard to shoot due to 8-10# trigger pull. Maybe I should ask them to check the accuracy too. It would only shoot a few good groups. I used everything from Wolf and Federal Gold Medal to the bulk. I also complained about how noisy it was on cocking. Too loud for squirrel hunting. I had 3 misfires in a row. With remington hi-speed ammo they wouldn't extract or eject. Finally sent it back with the parts that took 13 days to deliver in case they were out. I told them they might as well send me a refund unless they kept wanting it back.

When I took it back to Walmart, the lady put a tag on the box and I carried it through the store without raising any alarm. I went to Sporting Goods and there wasn't anybody in the store taking care of it. Another manager couldn't find the key to the records. After 1/2 hour he gave me a receipt. I then went to the eyeglass section about frames. The girl told me I was next in line. Then someone else with kids came in and she waited on them before me. I was considering glasses but no more.

Kinda of getting sidetracked, but what a mess.

I've about give up on any decent, reasonably priced .22 rifles being made. I'm a lefty on shooting and would like to see more LH bolt guns. It looks like you need two, while one is in the shop.

Sounds like the Savage might work out for us. I hope.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeh, I've checked out CZ's. I won't buy a rifle with a safety that works in reverse. They need work too I guess. That would get me up to about $400.00 and no guarantee of accuracy. $150 is bad enough.

I sent Savage a letter and copied your post to it to prove a point about poor quality. Mine seemed pretty erratic at first until I got fairly used to the trigger. I asked them to check the accuracy if they won't do a refund.

Most of the .22's aren't full sized rifles either. Ok if you shoot short rifles like a 30/30.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Savage customer service

I too have had a Mark II that would not extract. About a year ago I purchased one from a local gunshop, had nothing but trouble with it the entire time I owned it! First I called Savage about the extracting problem and the lady assured me I had a bad extractor, they sent me one and of course much to my dismay that was not my problem.I called again and was tould to send it in for repairs, which I did. When I got the rifle back I still had the same problem!! I called once again and asked if they would replace the rifle, and she said when I send mine back in, if its found defective they would send me a new one to an FFL of my choice where I could pick it up. I sent it back for a second trip to Savage and this time I was called and tould that they would be sending me out a new rifle that they have tested to ensure its reliability, about a week later my FFL called and said my rifle had arrived.That weekend I took it to the range and it performed very well with no problems what so ever. Give Savage a chance, they'll make it right. I'm very satisfied with the way they handled my problem and with it's outcome!! :t

·
Registered
427 Posts
That's the exact reason i'll never buy from a "Gimme your money, and leave" store... I'll always buy from a small "master" gunsmith that actually cares about his project, and his reputation. When I first got my high-point 9mm carbine I took it out of the stock so I could clean it and such, a spring popped out, so I took it down "Yep uh huh, there ya go" He fixed it right there before dealing with the other possible customers, and he's also given me discounts on product, but it's not about saving money... I'd rather be assured that the person i'm buying a fire arm from actually knows what he's talking about as where this kid at gander mountain once told me "Yeah, I have a remington 504 that will shoot 1 inch groups at 150 yards" My local gunsmith actually takes the time to make sure that I know what i'm getting before I get it. When I bought my first black powder cartridge rifle I remember her asked if i've ever shot one I said "No I haven't" "Well, I think you should before you get yourself into it" And he took 7 rounds out for his trap door 45-70, and let me shoot all of them to make sure I liked it before I bought it... And not to mention he also molds bullets for me, and loads my own ammunition AT COST... So, I generally prefer the "little guy"

·
Registered
761 Posts
Wal mart gave me credit on my gun today and I applied it toward a CZ 462 for $219. They would only give me credit toward a new gun.

Savage still refused to eject a few and misfired. Gun was returned from savage shooting great but it has a coating of rust on it.

I talked with Savage and am sure they would have made it right but I now have a Norinco which uses the same clips as the CZ and decided I would like 2 of the same.
________
Maine Dispensary

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jeremy,

You are fortunate to have a situtation like that. It has been my experience that there are very few good, let alone reasonably priced gunsmiths around. I found out this morning that even live rounds wouldn't come out everytime, and a couple hit the barrel going in and stopped the bolt from closing.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a cabelas 13 miles from me and a walmart 2 miles .The guy that I always deal with and a good friend told me walmart buys the grade 2 firearms in bulk at a good price. Cabelas buys the grade 1 firearms. The company buyers do a visit twice a year to the manufactors and test shoot a bunch of rifles. I want a job like that!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I wish everyone would get off this "Graded" crap. It's the SAME steel, SAME synthetic, SAME wood, and SAME plastic that come on all the guns. They don't send a case of rejects to Wal-Mart just to piss you off. THere are good guns, and there are bad guns. If yours is a BAD gun. send it back. tell them you don't want it repaired you want it replaced, and if they won't do that tell them you want ALL of your money back, including shipping costs

it's that simple. I clogged the barrel on mine with a patchworm, sent it in, they fixed it, sent it back, and now it has a coating of rust around the barrel where the clog was. so they're getting a call in the morning.

there are no GRADES, only in school, meat and eggs

Andrew

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.