Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

New Mark II - Give me ideas....

725 Views 14 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  coltpride
I just picked up a Mark II Government Target Model. As of right now it is stock. What are some of the best upgrades for the money that I could do to this already fine gun? Any ideas are appreciated.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,339 Posts
The only "major" upgrades I have ever done to any of my MKIIs has been trigger work. I have used my 5.5" MKII in bullseye matches where one hand shooting is required and for me , the stock trigger just did not cut it.

I also had the 5.5" drilled and tapped and added the Ruger scope base. Also have a set of Nill target grips.

· Registered
481 Posts
As far as trigger mods go... Most just replace the sear. Other popular mods are grips, extended mag release, target trigger with over travel and pre-travel adjustment screws, VQ exact edge extractor, and extended bolt release.

The V-comp is mostly for show so I would not recommend it.

Rimfire Sports, a board sponsor (http://www.rimfiresports.com) has a good selection of goodies for the Mk II, III.

You might also want to check out http://www.markii.org/forum/

34,878 Posts
I would like to get a Marvel Trigger for mine. To me it is with out a doubt, the finest available. I would stay completely away from the VQ trigger as I consider it dangerous after having an unintentional discharge with one. The only on I'v had in almost 40 years of shooting. The trigger is TOO WIDE and overhangs the trigger guard. Never, ever again will I own on of those. I may get a VQ sear though. Do not get the $90 VQ Kit. More than you need and still leaves too much creep in the trigger.

· Registered
2,981 Posts
Hey Vincent..
Maybe we dissagree on something??
I have used the full VQ setup for quite some time..
The safety concern is a good one and it always should be.
Personely I have learned to never chamber a round in my Mk-II 512 when holstering it.
Take's but 2-3 second's to chamber a round when your ready. It is literaly just a snap to do so.
And I dont trust mechancle device's much when it come's to my life or especialy someone elces. Safety's are Not Foolproof.
I would imagine you concern is with the wide trigger that may be wider than the guard.
Mine was not and if it were it would be a simple job to trim it back a bit.
Mine has a minimum of pretravel with little pre tension.
It cleanly break's at about 2.25 lbs and adjusted to almost zero overtravel after the break. Just enough to let the sear engage to recock.
I would never hand it to anyone without at least explaining what to expect and only then when I am sure I can trust there logic.
My 12 year old shoot's the cane out of it and has gotten very good with it..
Anyone and everyone that has shot it has had nothing but good thing's to say about it.
I know myself..
It was one of the best mod's I have done to it..
Later added Pachmar Signiture Combat Grip's . They have a thumb swell but not a pronounced thumb rest.
Then Millet White Outline Target Sight's front and rear..
It's one of the best pistol's I have ever shot and has put some .22 rifle's to shame.
Overall, pound for pound,
It Is the funnest gun I own..
Jed

· Registered
16 Posts
Depends (of course) on what you what to do with it.

Initially I put on Millet sights and installed a VQ sear on my KMK512. Vast improvement in group size. Great for plinking and adequate for hunting.

Then I decided to see what it could do as a target pistol. I picked up some Turner laminate grips cheap on eBay and put a BSA holographic sight on a Weigand (Weaver type) base. The guys at markii.org can give you ideas on all of the available whistles and bells. This setup gives me quick target acquisition and repeatable accuracy - and I can still switch back to the stock walnut grips and open sights for holster carry while hunting.

If you really want a competition gun look at brianenos.com

· Registered
2,981 Posts
I leave mine set up as is because I also have a Colt 1911 .38 super.
Only wish I had spent the time on the Colt , to get a simular trigger.
Can be done.. But take's some cash..
And in that auto.. The military type work's as it should..
For me it's about safety, and a round that I have shot threw 8 inches of seasoned oak. :rolleyes:
Grip's and sight's are the same and the feel and ballence is Very Simular..
Optic's could be nice and sound's like yours are.
But I like to be able to switch between the two whenever, and as they are , it work's out well for me.

34,878 Posts
Rimfire Sports said:
How was the pistol being handled when the accidential discharge occurred? Was it being placed in a holster?
It was about 6 years agoon a 6 7/8" tapered barrel. No it was not being put in a holster thank goodness. In fact it was on the firing line in our little campsite's range. I had picked the loaded but not chambered gun up off the table. My trigger finger was alongside the upper trigger guard and as i puller the bolt back and let it go the gun fired. Everyone was safe as all safety rules were being followed and the bullet went safely down range. With the triggers made then it was justslightly wider than the guard and as I released the bolt my fingerslipped down the OUTSIDE of the guard but with the wide trigger as the bolt slammed forward it was enough movement to allow my finger to trip thr trigger. I later disassembled the gun and ground down and then polished both outer edges of the trigger. I have heard that in the last few years VQhas narrowed the design.

I have put the VQ kit in three different MKII (mine and two friends) I had ALOt of trouble with mine. The trigger overtravel screw on two kits was screwed up. The screw was not long enough for to stop the trigger. Also the threads were so loose that the screw would just wobble back and forth in the threads.You could screw it right out the back of the trigger and never stop the trigger. On both triggers the trigger had to be redrilled and tapped for a larger size set screw. On mine and one other we could never adjust all the creep out of the trigger. The stock trigger on my current KMK678GC slabside is better than either of those kits. On the third kit we had to do the trigger mods but it adjusted up ok. All that for $90????? For 100 dollars either Clark's or Kings Gun Works will give you the finest custom trigger you can get installed adjusted and guranteed. Of course you have to ship it but I fount the VQ kit to be a waste. If you go to MARKII.org most of them will suggest to get the sear only and leave the kit alone. Very much like here at RFC most folks will tell you to get just the hammer and not the whole kit for your 10/22.

MarkII.org also has a great way to modify the stock trigger to put in overtravel and takeup adjustments. If I change the trigger on mine I will add a second screw to the stock target trigger or will wat till I can afford the Marvel.

I have been shooting mine at 100yds (it is sighted in for 100) and have been shooting clay birds at our range at Owls Hollow. I have shot several 2" and 2 1/4" groups at 100 yards witnessed by another member here at RFC. The first 2 1/4" group I shot I could not believe it but to be honest it is not that hard. Oh yeah....those are TEN shot groups shot with Federal #510 Champion. These cost all of $6.80 for 500 at Academy!! Shooting the claybirds at that range is fun. It usually takes a couple hit to break one up entirely. If you hit them in the center you can shoot 2-4 hits befre they crumble. An edge hit breaks them on the first hit quite often. Give it a try, it is alot of fun.

· Registered
481 Posts
Vincent said:
It was about 6 years agoon a 6 7/8" tapered barrel. No it was not being put in a holster thank goodness. In fact it was on the firing line in our little campsite's range. I had picked the loaded but not chambered gun up off the table. My trigger finger was alongside the upper trigger guard and as i puller the bolt back and let it go the gun fired. Everyone was safe as all safety rules were being followed and the bullet went safely down range. With the triggers made then it was justslightly wider than the guard and as I released the bolt my fingerslipped down the OUTSIDE of the guard but with the wide trigger as the bolt slammed forward it was enough movement to allow my finger to trip thr trigger. I later disassembled the gun and ground down and then polished both outer edges of the trigger. I have heard that in the last few years VQhas narrowed the design.

I have put the VQ kit in three different MKII (mine and two friends) I had ALOt of trouble with mine. The trigger overtravel screw on two kits was screwed up. The screw was not long enough for to stop the trigger. Also the threads were so loose that the screw would just wobble back and forth in the threads.You could screw it right out the back of the trigger and never stop the trigger. On both triggers the trigger had to be redrilled and tapped for a larger size set screw. On mine and one other we could never adjust all the creep out of the trigger. The stock trigger on my current KMK678GC slabside is better than either of those kits. On the third kit we had to do the trigger mods but it adjusted up ok. All that for $90????? For 100 dollars either Clark's or Kings Gun Works will give you the finest custom trigger you can get installed adjusted and guranteed. Of course you have to ship it but I fount the VQ kit to be a waste. If you go to MARKII.org most of them will suggest to get the sear only and leave the kit alone. Very much like here at RFC most folks will tell you to get just the hammer and not the whole kit for your 10/22.

MarkII.org also has a great way to modify the stock trigger to put in overtravel and takeup adjustments. If I change the trigger on mine I will add a second screw to the stock target trigger or will wat till I can afford the Marvel.

I have been shooting mine at 100yds (it is sighted in for 100) and have been shooting clay birds at our range at Owls Hollow. I have shot several 2" and 2 1/4" groups at 100 yards witnessed by another member here at RFC. The first 2 1/4" group I shot I could not believe it but to be honest it is not that hard. Oh yeah....those are TEN shot groups shot with Federal #510 Champion. These cost all of $6.80 for 500 at Academy!! Shooting the claybirds at that range is fun. It usually takes a couple hit to break one up entirely. If you hit them in the center you can shoot 2-4 hits befre they crumble. An edge hit breaks them on the first hit quite often. Give it a try, it is alot of fun.
Thats pretty good. Are you using a scope and rest for the 100yd clay pigeon targets, or off hand?

34,878 Posts
That is with a Nikon 2X from a rest. I've shot long range pistols since I bought my first Contender in 77 or 78. I'm sure I could do just as well from what is called the back sitting position where you sit with your back against something (tree, truck wheel, etc.) shooting over your knees. I find that just as steady. Off hand I would porbably hit 2/3 as many based on years of doing it. To me there are very few types of shooting that are as fun as long range plinking with a pistol.

Shooting large bore revolvers at 200 to 300 yards is a kick too but our range at Owl Hollow is restricted to 100yds. Living in and near the desert in CA for so long we did alot of long range shooting. Try shooting 22's at 300 yards or further. It is a kick. Almost more like artillery practice as sometime you are holding 10 feet over your target.

But getting back to the subject Andy and I finish just about every range session shooting at clays with me using the Slabside Mark II and him shooting either my 10/22 or my T/C Classic. We shoot them last because we don't have to go back out in the hot sun to get our targets. These new biodegradable clays are great. At Owl hollow we are only allowed two kinds of targets and those are paper and clays. The clays ar just too easy at 25 or 50 but they are fun at one hundred.

· Registered
680 Posts
PA1749 said:
I just picked up a Mark II Government Target Model. As of right now it is stock. What are some of the best upgrades for the money that I could do to this already fine gun? Any ideas are appreciated.
Volquartsen oversized Volthane Grips and good ammo is all a Government Mark II needs to shoot very well. Spend your money on good ammo and test to see what yours likes.

34,878 Posts
The VQ grips are too big for my hands but a good set og grips is a really nice addition. A frieng here at RFC just gave me a set of fingergroove rosewood grips and they really help, like putting on a great pair of gloves.

· Registered
130 Posts
Volquartson Trigger

I think I have weighed in on this issue before.The Volquartson trigger is a fine trigger but indeed is too wide for safety on a Ruger steel frame when holstering loaded.It is fine on a MKII 22/45 with its wider trigger guard.The triggers more suited for the MKII steel frame pistols come from Clark and Marvel.

· Registered
12 Posts
Go Slow

I suggest you start with the Volquartsen target hammer, always seems to smooth out the trigger pull. Start there and see how she goes. We sometimes get carried away with the aftermarket goodies (at least I do). Enjoy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.