Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I've been tempted to buy one,,,

I've been tempted to buy one.

I am a huge fan of rimfire/centerfire pairs,,,
And my LCP has been my carry gun for many years now.

The only problem is that I am a bit OCD.

If I were to buy one of the .22 pistols,,,
I would feel compelled to upgrade to the newer LCP II. :eek:

Aarond

·
Premium Member
58,706 Posts
I've been tempted to buy one.

I am a huge fan of rimfire/centerfire pairs,,,
And my LCP has been my carry gun for many years now.

The only problem is that I am a bit OCD.

If I were to buy one of the .22 pistols,,,
I would feel compelled to upgrade to the newer LCP II. :eek:

Aarond

Use it as an excuse to upgrade to the LCP Max 380, you'll love it.:bthumb:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Took the plunge at the Gun Show yesterday and brought one of these little pistols home.

Started breaking it in today with a mix of old Automatch and just as old Winchester 555 white box. For what it was, the gun did great. It hung up a couple of times, and I had one FTF that didn't pop on a restrike either. Right around 5 magazines of each.

I'm guessing that with better ammo, it will only improve. Thanks for all the pointers and such, RFC! Much appreciated!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I couldn't find a Ruger LCP II .22 for some time, then one day during a weekly visit to my local gun shop there was one in the display case, so I didn't hesitate to purchase it.

The first thing I like to do when I get a new firearm is to disassemble it and look for any obvious areas that need attention, particularly with anything that shoots .22LR. The barrel of these pistols are stainless steel, so my usual routine with this material is to polish the feed ramp and any surrounding outer surface(s) to slightly break sharp machined edges, as these are areas where friction can be eliminated.

Below is the factory threaded barrel assembly that I polished up a bit:

Feed ramp area:

I've had zero functioning issues with this little pistol shooting SV ammo through a suppressor, which is an interesting affair in itself, with the suppressor being higher than the machined sights on the pistol's slide; I simply aim down the top of the suppressor and can manage 2" or so groups at 8 yards, which I think is good enough for "close" work and just for fun ;)

They're neat little affordable rimfire pistols!

·
Premium Member
58,706 Posts
Took the plunge at the Gun Show yesterday and brought one of these little pistols home.

Started breaking it in today with a mix of old Automatch and just as old Winchester 555 white box. For what it was, the gun did great. It hung up a couple of times, and I had one FTF that didn't pop on a restrike either. Right around 5 magazines of each.

I'm guessing that with better ammo, it will only improve. Thanks for all the pointers and such, RFC! Much appreciated!
With use mine has become very reliable, handy little gun for finishing off game, plinking. :bthumb:

·
Registered
902 Posts
With use mine has become very reliable, handy little gun for finishing off game, plinking. :bthumb:
Yes, sir!
I had a SR-22 for quite a while but ended up trading it off. I liked it alright, I guess we just never really bonded. Ruger spoils a person too; my SR-22 came with 2 magazines, why only 1 with the LCP II?

This pistol's size is much more carry friendly and a gun you have with you is always handier. I finally killed off the last of my open Winchester White Box, so I will start feeding it better stuff and see what happens.

Drewbone, I love your setup! Very cool!

Time to start doing a little extra saving, I can easily see an LCP Max in my future.

·
6,248 Posts
The first thing I like to do when I get a new firearm is to disassemble it and look for any obvious areas that need attention, particularly with anything that shoots .22LR. The barrel of these pistols are stainless steel, so my usual routine with this material is to polish the feed ramp and any surrounding outer surface(s) to slightly break sharp machined edges, as these are areas where friction can be eliminated.

They're neat little affordable rimfire pistols!
Your polishing looks nice on that little barrel. Do you think it really helps the functionality or that it just looks so darn good? :bthumb:

How did you polish it? I may try it on mine if I have the tools handy.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Your polishing looks nice on that little barrel. Do you think it really helps the functionality or that it just looks so darn good? :bthumb:

How did you polish it? I may try it on mine if I have the tools handy.
Thanks for the kind words!

Stainless steel is my favorite material to work with, especially polishing. If I have the room I like to use a buffing wheel and the correct compound, but with smaller parts I'll use Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish with cotton swabs and rags, and for polishing feed ramps I'll use a Dremel with an appropriately sized cylindrical cotton cone.

I believe that breaking any sharp-ish edges where reciprocating parts interact with one another and of course polishing the feed ramp for the smoothest possible chambering - can never hurt, so I polish these areas. It works well for me and adds a bit of a nice touch to an otherwise boringly functional little pistol ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Picked one up the other day, i have been looking at them for some time infact the issue of shooting times has been on the table since i got it in May of 2020 but just never ventured out to find one until the neighbor came over and said he had bought one for his wife. I took mine down to the man cave and shoot a mag of Minin Mags, Punch, Blazer, CCI Standard velocity without any hiccups at all and that was straight from the box. Still not a true test but hey if it runs out of the box once cleaned and oiled it should still run fine wit the right ammo. i will confess I did have several FTE but that was with some Kolibra's LOL as quiet as they are out of a rifle they didn't even make a noise out of this.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought one earlier this month because I have a 380 LCP II also. I figured I could use the 22 version for cheap practice. I'm not loving it. With the tiny sights I have trouble shooting the LCP II 22 accurately at all. I also have a keltec p17 which is a smallish 22lr pistol. The keltec is more reliable, has a better trigger and adjustable sights that I can see. The ruger is probably going to be sold.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I bought one earlier this month because I have a 380 LCP II also. I figured I could use the 22 version for cheap practice. I'm not loving it. With the tiny sights I have trouble shooting the LCP II 22 accurately at all. I also have a keltec p17 which is a smallish 22lr pistol. The keltec is more reliable, has a better trigger and adjustable sights that I can see. The ruger is probably going to be sold.
Are the sights on the LCP ll 380 larger than the 22? The ones I have seen they are about the same, now the LCP Max sights are larger. Just a curious question.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The front sight on the 22lr version is a smaller nub than on the 380 lcp II. On the 22lr one if you bring up the front sight level with the rear sight notch you see the top of the slide in the little bit of sight picture you have. I painted the front sight orange but it still sucked for me. I also have the lcp max which has nice sights.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have an lcp 2 .22 and a lcp max 380.....I love both of them. The .22 is far more accurate than you'd expect. My 11 year old was popping cans at 25 yards with it and it was his first time ever shooting a pistol.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Mine snaps on a cartridge one out of ten no matter the brand. I get best results from CCI standard. Have about 600 rnds through it with no improvement. Need to measure OAL of firing pin. Gave up on it for a reliable pistol.

I have carried a LCP Custom for several years. IMO best LCP made, good trigger, wonderful sights with front glow insert. Pistol shoots without a hitch and is plenty accurate.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was looking for a 22LR or 22WMR snubnose revolver for back pocket carry around our little farm, since I had given my Charter Arms Pathfinder to the wife for that purpose. She killed a possum in the hen house with her .38, I figured she didn't really need THAT much.
So, there I was, at the gun store counter, and saw the little Ruger. Since I already had an LCP2 .380 I went ahead and bought it.

I'm happy with it. I don't fire hundreds upon hundreds of rounds thru it at the range, it's just a working gun.
I tried a variety of ammo to ensure function, and now keep it loaded with Winchester Super X 40 grain.

I don't really care for the safety, I'm left handed and cannot easily reach it. I need to be able to draw and fire instantaneously. This is why I prefer revolvers.
Is this gun safe to carry with a loaded chamber and safety off, like my .380?

·
Registered
715 Posts
I was looking for a 22LR or 22WMR snubnose revolver for back pocket carry around our little farm, since I had given my Charter Arms Pathfinder to the wife for that purpose. She killed a possum in the hen house with her .38, I figured she didn't really need THAT much.
So, there I was, at the gun store counter, and saw the little Ruger. Since I already had an LCP2 .380 I went ahead and bought it.

I'm happy with it. I don't fire hundreds upon hundreds of rounds thru it at the range, it's just a working gun.
I tried a variety of ammo to ensure function, and now keep it loaded with Winchester Super X 40 grain.

I don't really care for the safety, I'm left handed and cannot easily reach it. I need to be able to draw and fire instantaneously. This is why I prefer revolvers.
Is this gun safe to carry with a loaded chamber and safety off, like my .380?
I'll give you my opinion. I trust no gun with a round in the chamber unless it has a external hammer and you can decock it. I don't trust a safety. The only firearms in my house that I would keep a round in the chamber are my North American arms pug .22 mag, a .410 crack barrel and my my .45

I stay away from areas that I would need to use my gun in self defense, I purposely avoid them at all costs. However, if I have no choice and must travel in a high crime rate area, I will rack my 9mm and have it ready. I've even pocketed it at a car wash, washing my car late at night. But as soon as I feel like I don't need to be on high alert, cartridge is removed from the chamber.
Just get her .22 mag revolver if it must be chambered. It sounds like around your farm she won't be needing to out draw a bad guy so realistically should could just rack the slide to dispatch a nuisance animal. Just my .02

I'll tell you a quick story. I've always taught my sons to respect firearms, safety and always pull a mag out. Rack slide. Before looking at a gun. Well my oldest came in my shop. I just got a new sig p365 and it was sitting on the counter on my shop. I was on the other side of the shop and I was cutting something on the band saw. Turned and looked, he picked up the sig and pointed it down. Did not pull mag like I taught him to. No slide rack to check if clear. He pulled the trigger. I blew up on him. Not 10 minutes before he walked in, I had a round in the chamber because I test fired it. I set it on the counter. Walked off. Then remembered I needed to clear it.
Now had it had a round in the chamber it would have just hit the floor. No big deal there. The big deal was what could have happened. Morel of the story, I always keep a round clear of the chamber except in a threatening situation.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You misunderstood.
This is not for the wife, she has the Charter Arms 22LR, a Charter Arms .38, a Sig P365, and a Winchester 1300 twenty gauge.

Both of us carry whenever we are outside the house. Going out to tend animals, going to the mailbox.
Going to town I usually carry either an LCP2 .380, or a .357 magnum snub, or a Charter Arms Bulldog 44.
I have the option (leatherware) to carry a 1911 or a K-frame size 4" revolver.
But this is is very low violent crime area, I feel just fine with lesser artillery.

I simply wanted an opinion on the LCP 22LR.

I have somewhere north of 60 firearms - shotguns, rifles, handguns. from 22LR to 45-70. If you know right off hand how many guns you own, you don't own enough.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts