Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello there,

Today I filed-striped my brand new 10/22 for the frist time. I had already cleaned the barreld once b4 shooting 150rds fro the first time on Sunday. However, today while cleaning it I noticed that the paint on the botton of the receiving was pealing off. Is this normal? How can it be stopped? I used "GUN SCRUBBER" to clean the gun. Here is a pic....

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
it seems you have the newer receivers with the textured finish. My 10/22 is at least 12 years old now and had the regular black finish... inside the action there is very little finish left, as it has been worn off from the bolt. It seems to be a normal thing, the constant friction will wear off the finish on the inside... but im no expert.

·
Registered
704 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, since the receiver's aluminum, you shouldn't have to think twice about stripping the inside, cleaning it out with denatured alcohol, polishing the inside, the guide rod, and any contact surfaces on the bolt, and VERY lightly oiling contact surfaces.

I'm pretty sure you'll find that's common among semi-auto .22s... I did my old-style receiver and it feels extremely smooth.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
If you do strip the outside, though, be prepared for a LOT of sandpaper work, they are quite roughly milled now, not the smooth millwork they used to be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.