Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
That would work as they are the same part but would probably not prove anything as they would both have the old style pin in new or almost new condition (my wife hardly uses her 22/45). Good thought though. I will probably order a new mainspring for my Mk.3 and replace it at the end of the matches in March. As it is now, with the new/old style pin it is functioning well but it should work with the new style pin also.
Stew

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Firing pin & AM

I put in the new firing pin, an extractor and Clark trigger about 3-4 weeks ago in my 1979 RST. I tested the pistol the same day I installed the parts and had nary a problem.

After seeing this second post about FTFs w/Fed AM I carried a 125 rounds of AM to the range yesterday. I took my Medalist and the RST for a little target practice. I ran 100 rounds through the Medalist with no anomalies. We have the annual shoot off in bowling pins in another week so I am trying to improve my time and accuracy. With rapid fire I had not FTFs with the AM.

I had planned to try 3 brands of ammo with the RST [AM, Win SuperX & CCI MiniMags]. I had to cut my session short, but I did run 25 rounds of Fed AM through the RST before I left. I was shooting fairly rapidly, reloading a magazine as I emptied it for the 25 rounds. Again, I had no FTFs or any other inconsistency.

I am running a little test with the AM, which I will put in a different post in the ammo section. I am shooting the AM in various pistols from a specific 325 round retail package to see if I have any issues. Frankly, I don't think I will.

I got about 2/3s of the way through a 100 box of CCI MMs in a Pins shoot last Monday and had a FTF with my Medalist on the 4th of 6 pins. That rather surprised me and made a quick round into a mediocre round with lost time ejecting the FTF round. In a typical string, 7 rounds are loaded for a 6 pin string allowing an extra shot if needed if a pin is missed, or more time damaging, a FTF and having to eject that round and continue the string.

VH :eek:man:

·
Registered
13,276 Posts
I put in the new firing pin, an extractor and Clark trigger about 3-4 weeks ago in my 1979 RST. I tested the pistol the same day I installed the parts and had nary a problem.

After seeing this second post about FTFs w/Fed AM I carried a 125 rounds of AM to the range yesterday. I took my Medalist and the RST for a little target practice. I ran 100 rounds through the Medalist with no anomalies. We have the annual shoot off in bowling pins in another week so I am trying to improve my time and accuracy. With rapid fire I had not FTFs with the AM.

I had planned to try 3 brands of ammo with the RST [AM, Win SuperX & CCI MiniMags]. I had to cut my session short, but I did run 25 rounds of Fed AM through the RST before I left. I was shooting fairly rapidly, reloading a magazine as I emptied it for the 25 rounds. Again, I had no FTFs or any other inconsistency.

I am running a little test with the AM, which I will put in a different post in the ammo section. I am shooting the AM in various pistols from a specific 325 round retail package to see if I have any issues. Frankly, I don't think I will.

I got about 2/3s of the way through a 100 box of CCI MMs in a Pins shoot last Monday and had a FTF with my Medalist on the 4th of 6 pins. That rather surprised me and made a quick round into a mediocre round with lost time ejecting the FTF round. In a typical string, 7 rounds are loaded for a 6 pin string allowing an extra shot if needed if a pin is missed, or more time damaging, a FTF and having to eject that round and continue the string.

VH :eek:man:
VH,

It's always GOOD to read excellent, HONEST, reports such as yours. You're one of those around RFC whose long time experience can be trusted to be accurate, and helpful.

Too bad RFC allows wanna-be's to post ridiculous stories about shooting "billions" of rounds of .22 ammunition without any issues, or get ¼ inch groups at 200 yards with their Ruger Mark III Standard using Russian rimfire ammunition.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
New mainspring makes a difference

That would work as they are the same part but would probably not prove anything as they would both have the old style pin in new or almost new condition (my wife hardly uses her 22/45). Good thought though. I will probably order a new mainspring for my Mk.3 and replace it at the end of the matches in March. As it is now, with the new/old style pin it is functioning well but it should work with the new style pin also.
Stew
I finally got around to replacing the mainspring and now the pistol with the "new style" firing pin will fire Automatch with no FTF in 100 rounds (including some from the same batch as the original test). FYI- the new mainspring measured at 2.341 and the old one at 2.269, meaning that the old one was .072 shorter. There were aprox. 50,000 rounds thru this pistol before the spring was replaced.
Stew

·
Registered
13,276 Posts
In some of my experiments in the not so long ago past, with mainspring housing springs that were done long before we had as many "negative Nancy's" as we do these days around here, I found some springs available through "Wolf Gunsprings" that had a higher pound rating than those they actually sell for the Ruger Mark pistol mainspring housing assembly.

I even posted comparison pictures with all the pertinent dimensions involved that provided those springs with the extra pound rating to drive the hammer a bit faster and with more strength to detonate the priming compound for these Ruger Mark pistols. I even had a couple of "beta testers" willing to try mainspring housing assemblies that I set up with the proviso they would return those with an honest report as to what they found, be it good or BAD. All reported GOOD results with those springs installed. It's too bad that we can't do those sort of experiments these days due to the few who'd rather deny and argue about something they know nothing about or have even tried to use.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Stock spring

Just to clarify, my replacement spring is a stock Ruger part and the difference in length is due to set/wear. BTW, in the absence of a neat fixture for spring replacement like yours I drilled two holes 1/16"apart on opposite sides of the housing and used two small screwdrivers to "lever" the spring down in the housing
far enough to allow replacing the ball and lever and put the pin back in. In any case, with the "new style" firing pin and the new mainspring my pistol now runs 100 Automatch without a FTF.
Stew

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.