Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
New pin also

I installed the new pin in my '79 RSP a few days ago. I went to the range the next day more to re-zero my sights than try out the pin. As it goes I shot Win 38 gr. HPs and Fed AM. I shoot a lot of AM. My experience just does not comport with many threads I see where numerous FTFs are reported. I typically use AM in my Medalist, BM, HS 103 (when I am out of SV), ATD, CZ 452s, CZ99s, Sav MKIIg, etc.. Other than practicing rapid fire in practice, I shoot pins twice a month in friendly competition. A misfire will kill your evening when a stove pipe, FTE or FTF occurs. The one ammo I do not use with my HS 103 when shooting pins is Aguila SV. It will fail to cycle the slide about 10% of the time. I find this interesting because I use Aguila SV 40 gr RN in my Medalist & BM with no problems. The CCI SV seems to have a little more oomph than the Aguila in cycling the action of the High Standard.

I did not have any FTFs with either ammo used. My firing pin spring and all other parts are original to the gun with the exception of a new extractor and trigger which I replaced along with the firing pin. For that matter, I shoot any and all brands of ammo in the RSP and I really don't even consider a FTF as a probability, but undoubtedly I probably have had some at some point in time. I have had the pistol since 1980.

I do have occasional FTFs, but I don't have enough to relate them to one brand of ammo to another, but as I shoot AM about 90% of the time, logic would dictate that the probability is AM to FTF is true.

As a final note, I looked at the firing pin indent on several cases when I started shooting. The indent was well defined and significant. I also inspected the nose of the firing before installation to see if there was a smooth surface based on the earlier post by SGW. It had no apparent issues at 30X with a lighted hand lens. I polished it a bit anyway with some 1500 grit W/D just for the H-of-it since I also polished the sides and edges of the FP, again mostly just to reduce any friction points that might slow down the lock time. I didn't observe any on the new pin.

VH :eek:man:

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
addendum

I was at the range this afternoon... I went through 100 rounds of Fed AM through my BM and Medalist (didn't take the RST pistol) with no FTFs or anything else. I will take the Ruger tomorrow and run another 100 rounds.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Firing pin & AM

I put in the new firing pin, an extractor and Clark trigger about 3-4 weeks ago in my 1979 RST. I tested the pistol the same day I installed the parts and had nary a problem.

After seeing this second post about FTFs w/Fed AM I carried a 125 rounds of AM to the range yesterday. I took my Medalist and the RST for a little target practice. I ran 100 rounds through the Medalist with no anomalies. We have the annual shoot off in bowling pins in another week so I am trying to improve my time and accuracy. With rapid fire I had not FTFs with the AM.

I had planned to try 3 brands of ammo with the RST [AM, Win SuperX & CCI MiniMags]. I had to cut my session short, but I did run 25 rounds of Fed AM through the RST before I left. I was shooting fairly rapidly, reloading a magazine as I emptied it for the 25 rounds. Again, I had no FTFs or any other inconsistency.

I am running a little test with the AM, which I will put in a different post in the ammo section. I am shooting the AM in various pistols from a specific 325 round retail package to see if I have any issues. Frankly, I don't think I will.

I got about 2/3s of the way through a 100 box of CCI MMs in a Pins shoot last Monday and had a FTF with my Medalist on the 4th of 6 pins. That rather surprised me and made a quick round into a mediocre round with lost time ejecting the FTF round. In a typical string, 7 rounds are loaded for a 6 pin string allowing an extra shot if needed if a pin is missed, or more time damaging, a FTF and having to eject that round and continue the string.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.