Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my 1st Cooper. A used 57M Classic. I traded an Anz. 1710D KL that I had bought used about a year back. Awsome firearm and I would recommend them to anyone. I had trouble making weight with it for SB hunting rifle Silhouette (Very dense wood). I'm not overly impressed with the test target ....compared to some I've seen on new LVT's in the store, but for a sporter it's very good.
I've mounted a Weaver T24 with 1/2" dot. I adjusted the overtravel to my likeing (follow thru is everything when shooting offhand). The pull weight was right at 2-4 ozs over 2 lbs so that was fine, as there is a 2lb limit in the Hunting Rifle class.
I like the feel of the stock and the overall craftsmanship of the firearm looks great. The trigger pull is very consistant.....unlike a Finnfire I had :rolleyes: .
I hope to get to the range this weekend to sight in and do some ammo testing. Hope to report on that later.

:D Bill

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
cooper????

hope you like it, i have 5 of them all 22 lr...........
they shoot good enough to kill a squirrel..............
you will have fun with it......................................

boltaction

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shot some groups this A.M. Ammo used was Eley/Rem Match EPS, Wolf Match Target & Match Extra, Fed 711B. Did not get to try CCI Std Vel or Rem/Eley Target Rifle. Wolf Match Extra grouped the best coming in at approx. 1/2" @ 50yds. :confused: . I expected better. I kept getting 3 in 1 hole with a couple out. Don't know if it was me, or the stock not riding the rest real well. Weather conditions where great.
I realize this is not the best selection of ammo, but it's all I can get my hands on right now. Still, I was hopeing for a little better. Especially from the Wolf or EPS. I did not clean the barrel between ammo's, but did fire fouling shots prior to grouping.
Any suggestions on ammo choice for best groups? I may have to order some SK, RWS, Eley, Fed Gold, etc...........Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Bill,
mine shoots the Wolf MT and ME the best of any I've shot, but I haven't shot any of the high dollar ammo.
Don't worry too much about the group sizes. It'll get better after you figure out how to hold the gun. Mine does best with pressure into my shoulder and my cheek barely touching the stock with the swivel stud just in front of the bag.
I found out real quick they don't just punch little holes every time you shoot 'em.;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fw707;
Thanks. I was trying to fiqure out how it likes to be held. I'll need more time I guess. I tried shooting free, with and w/o shoulder pressure, firm grip, loose grip, etc.
Do you use your front swivel stud as a stop against the front rest, or is that just where it likes to sit on the bag for best grouping?

Thanks for the reply, Bill

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Congrats on the new Cooper... :)

3 in one hole with a couple out sounds like a typical "Sporter" to me. :)

They are much more sensitive to how you hold them off the bench than benchrest guns and/or stocks are.

I have the same luck with my Sporters, 3 or 4 into one nice hole, then the next shot or two can be a 1/2 inch or even further away. Curses..

Makes me not wanna shoot more than 3 shot groups. :) :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Cooper LVT

Bill, You sound like you know what you're doing. I will give you some of my thoughts as I have a Cooper LVT 22LR that I have been learning to shoot. These are just my thoughts, not meant to be criticisms. Every ammo I have tried has shot well in my rifle even the cheap stuff. I've shot under the 1/4" guarantee with the WalMart Federal bulk ammo with the premium target ammo I have almost halved the group size. I bought my rifle to use as it was meant to be used, as a hunting rifle. I shoot mainly ground squirrels and the higher velocity ammo works best for that. I also enjoy shooting groups and have come to some conclusions shooting at 50 yds. I use a Leupold 6-18x40 and have noticed that discrepancies in shooting groups fall in 2 categories. First is shooter error and second, I've narrowed down to what I think is parallax. Both issues could really be called shooter error or a technique problem because the parallax is most evident because I am not mounting the gun exactly the same way every time. When I bear down and get super conscious of my technique the problems dissappear. Lately I've been experimenting with the objective on my scope and not trusting the yardage on the dial or the focus. This seems to have alleviated the parallax problem. One thing that popped out at me when reading your post is the 1/2" dot. I don't see how your aim would be that fine with a 1/2" dot. I think you would notice a difference with an 1/8" dot and I believe that crosshairs would be the best when shooting @ 50 yds.
Lately I have bought bulk Federal Auto Match $10/325 rds. and it shoots as well as any of the "premium" low velocity ammo(approx. 1050 fps) in my rifle. I chronographed it @ 1200 fps. This ammo handles squirrels quite well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
steinie; Thanks, and your right! ;)

jwv2001;
Your right about the 1/2" dot not being the best for bench grouping, and that may be part of my problem. Although a 1/2" moa dot is approx. 1/4" @ 50yds. The targets I'm using are approx. 3/8" dia. so it seems pretty easy to hold center for me. Also my target dots have a cross hair grid centered in them. This also helps to hold center. But you are defentally right that fine cross hairs or a 1/8" dot would be far better!
I did not notice any parallax error in my obj. setting. But, I will check more closely next time. More then likely it's operator error. Like "steinie" said about it being a "typical" sporter. There very inconsistant off the rest.
Thanks for the input. Sounds like you and your LVT are an awesome duo! :t

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
BillDncn said:
fw707;
Thanks. I was trying to fiqure out how it likes to be held. I'll need more time I guess. I tried shooting free, with and w/o shoulder pressure, firm grip, loose grip, etc.
Do you use your front swivel stud as a stop against the front rest, or is that just where it likes to sit on the bag for best grouping?

Thanks for the reply, Bill
I just set the stud at the front of the bag kinda as a reference point.
They are a tough gun to shoot up to their potential. I have matched my test target 1 time with my .22 and 1 time with my .17 HMR , but nothing else close.
And don't trust the scale on the AO to get rid of the parallax. They ain't always right.;)
Like Steinie says: "typical sporter".:D

·
Registered
430 Posts
For testing ammo, get rid of that dot scope and use a real scope, the best one you have. Once you've determined the most accurate ammo, put the red dot back on and enjoy. There's no use in doing things the hard way and then being dissapointed about your results! You're trying to shoot bench rest rifle with a red dot scope for crying out loud. And, with a sporter barrel too!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
stiff neck;
Sorry you misunderstood, but it's a Weaver T24 (24X rifle scope) with a 1/2" moa dot and fine cross hairs. This type of scope is very popular in the rifle silhouette game.
I do have a (red dot) Leupold/Gilmore LG-35 with a 4moa dot on my S&W mdl. 41 with a "Clark" 5" barrel though :t

Bill

·
Registered
121 Posts
finding the right ammo is half the fun...

BillDncn said:
Shot some groups this A.M. Ammo used was Eley/Rem Match EPS, Wolf Match Target & Match Extra, Fed 711B. Did not get to try CCI Std Vel or Rem/Eley Target Rifle. Wolf Match Extra grouped the best coming in at approx. 1/2" @ 50yds. :confused: . I expected better. I kept getting 3 in 1 hole with a couple out. Don't know if it was me, or the stock not riding the rest real well. Weather conditions where great.
I realize this is not the best selection of ammo, but it's all I can get my hands on right now. Still, I was hopeing for a little better. Especially from the Wolf or EPS. I did not clean the barrel between ammo's, but did fire fouling shots prior to grouping.
Any suggestions on ammo choice for best groups? I may have to order some SK, RWS, Eley, Fed Gold, etc...........Thanks, Bill
You did a good job of selecting a variety of ammo that are rated at different speeds. For what it's worth, I usually test with

Eley Club Xtra (1085 fps)
Wolf MT or SK Rifle Match (1050 fps)
SK Match (1033 fps)

If I can't get tight groups with one of these on any given day, I'm not doing my part :eek: ---Tom

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
2nd outing this A.M. with The Cooper. Twelve 5-shot group avg. was .475" with Wolf ME. Best groups where .370", .380" and .385". Most where around 1/2" though. Not bad for a sporter using this grade ammo I guess. I have not tested out at 100m yet, but if it'll hold 1 moa I'll be pleased. That's the max. distance I'll be shooting out to in SB Rifle Silhouette.
I emailed Cooper today to see if they think my results sound about right. It'll be interesting to see what they say.
I'm still thinking of ordering a selection of mid to high grade ammo.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Bill, here's a picture of some groups I shot with my Cooper. It'a 10 5 shot groups fired consecutively from one box of Wolf MT. The average is .336 for all the groups. I don't have a very good bench to shoot from and I'm not a very good shot in the first place, but I thought this was a pretty decent average for me.

And here's a picture of the best group--5 shots at 50 yards--measured .057 with calipers.
Like I said I've only done this ONCE--most of my groups fall in the range of the ones on the first picture posted.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
3rd time's the charm....

fw707; Thanks. Awesome groups!

I replaced the rings and mounts that came on the rifle, and found that the rear mount's side adj. screws had gouged the top of my reciever :mad: ! I replaced them with "BKL's" Cooper 57M mounts and there #263 rings. This combo makes it a little more comfortable when shooting offhand (more upright head pos.)

Started this A.M. with a clean barrel and shot nothing but Rem/Eley Match EPS.
fw707; I think I fiqured out how it likes to be held off the bench.
After some head scratching :confused: and cursing :mad: I shot 6-groups in a row under 1/2". The best 3 being .230", .250", and .340".
Man was I releived :yippee: ! I think I have a shooter here.

BudF; Thanks. I have ordered some "Tenex" as well as some other stuff from CSS. I hope to find something mid priced that I can use in matches. Match EPS is looking pretty good! I still need to test @ 100m though.

Thanks for all yall's help and input.

Bill

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.