Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Browning Buck Mark Hunter

All--

I needed an off-hand gun. I wanted something that I could shoot using open sites and something with a rail that would accept all my various optics. I chose the Browning Buck Mark Hunter with the 7.25" barrel.

Here is a picture of it out of the box . . .

I pumped several hundred rounds through it today using the open sites. Although I can see the H-Viz, it is still somewhat of a strain using the rear sight. Therefore, I stuck one of my dots--one of my favorite ones--on it.

Here is a picture of the Hunter with my Nikon 6610 on top . . .

Tomorrow I will give it a shot with the dot.

--seal killer

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
All--

Here is a picture of my new Browning Buck Mark Hunter out of the box . . .

Put rounds through it today (Aguila SE) at both 7 and 25 yards off-hand. I also zeroed the open sites at 25 yards from the bench and got very good results.

However, my eyes ain't what they used to be, so I did this . . .

There is no doubt that the Nikon 6610 will solve my sighting problem. It has done so on other pistols.

--seal killer

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lrglnman--

The Nikon is the most flexible red dot on the market. (I think. New things hit the street every day!)

The Nikon 6610's dot size can be changed by simply turning the dial: 1, 4, 6, and 10 MOA dots are available. Of course, there are 11 brightness levels. Both windage and elevation adjustments are finger knobs and very easy to use.

A 1 MOA dot, properly zeroed, will allow you to do amazing things. In the past, I have created approximately two-inch groups with it at 100 yards out of a 7.25" barrel.

The only other dot I like as well, or nearly as well, is my Bushnell Holosight. It is also a 1 MOA device.

Neither the Nikon nor the Bushnell would hold up on my fifty caliber Desert Eagle, though. Nikon eventually replaced the 6610 under warranty . . . but not without a lot of effort on my part and my dealer's. All I needed to do to "fix" the Bushnell was to remove and replace the batteries.

Today, both are alive and well and live on small caliber pistols. The Nikon moves from .22 to .22 and the Bushnell resides atop my Bushmaster Carbon 15 pistol.

The Nikon is my favorite, though.

--seal killer

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Nikon, but the Ultradot Four has similar specs. A year or so ago, I bought one with a 1" tube, and about a month ago I sprung for another with the 30MM tube. That was under $200, and I believe the 1-incher was around $170....................chim

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glenn-SC--

The Nikon 6610 cost me almost $300.00. (Can't remember, exactly.) The Browning Buck Mark Hunter cost me $310.00. I get Bushnell products from a friend of mine as gifts. However, the Bushnell Holosights ain't cheap, either.

But, I certainly understand your point! Here is the "best" combination: I have a $319.00 Leupold scope on a $270.00 Beretta NEOS Inox DLX 7.25" barrel pistol! But, it is one hell of an accurate combination! (The Leupold was originally on my fifty caliber 10" Desert Eagle, another VERY accurate combination!)

--seal killer

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CCV--

The Nikon is the most flexible red dot on the market. (I think. New things hit the street every day!)

The Nikon 6610's dot size can be changed by simply turning the dial: 1, 4, 6, and 10 MOA dots are available. Of course, there are 11 brightness levels. Both windage and elevation adjustments are finger knobs and very easy to use.

A 1 MOA dot, properly zeroed, will allow you to do amazing things. In the past, I have created approximately two-inch groups with it at 100 yards out of a 7.25" barrel (my Beretta NEOS).

The only other dot I like as well, or nearly as well, is my Bushnell Holosight. It is also a 1 MOA device.

Neither the Nikon nor the Bushnell would hold up on my fifty caliber Desert Eagle, though. Nikon eventually replaced the 6610 under warranty . . . but not without a lot of effort on my part and my dealer's. All I needed to do to "fix" the Bushnell was to remove and replace the batteries.

Today, both are alive and well and live on small caliber pistols. The Nikon moves from .22 to .22 and the Bushnell resides atop my Bushmaster Carbon 15 pistol.

The Nikon is my favorite, though.

--seal killer
ps I posted a highly similar response under the "Browning" topic, just in case someone is reading both!

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Both mine are 4, 8, 12 & 16 MOA. They also have a Match Dot version that is 2, 4, 6 & 8 MOA. Most of my shooting is with the 8 or 12 MOA dots. These are nice sights with very round, well-defined dots. I love these dots.

I had used a couple Tasco PDP5's for a while, but both of them have now failed. Problem with both of them was the loss of ability to adjust the elevation................chim

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
chim--

Interesting.

I am trying to become an off-hand shooter. Of course, with my .45 I am pretty good at self-defense distances, but nowhere near competition level.

I had JUST ABOUT given up on off-hand shooting until I bought the Browning Buck Mark Hunter with the 7.25 inch barrel, adjustable target rear and Hi-Viz front sight. I can actually see that combination, although I think a little white paint across the top of the rear blade is going to help a lot.

Yesterday, I stuck my Nikon 6610 on top and went to the range. I zeroed it at 25 yards using the 1 MOA setting. (That is good for one inch groups at 25 yards on a BAD day.)

Eventually, I cranked it up to 4 MOA at both 25 yards and 7 yards. I was kinda surprised at the results, but had to cut the session short.

After reading your post, I will try it again at 6 and 10 MOA. It sure shook less at 4 MOA than it did at 1!

--seal killer

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have the Buckmark 5.5" Field model, with a Tasco red-dot scope...
My only complaint is the necessity of removing the rail to field-strip the pistol...

It looks like the Weaver rail on the Hunter is integral with the barrel...is that so? If so, I'm thinking I might replace the Field with the Hunter, or, possibly just purchase the Hunter barrel to put on my Field.

Also, does the Hunter have a user-adjustable trigger like the Field?

Thanks-

Karl

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Karl--

It just LOOKS that way! To field strip it, the rail has to come off. And, yes the trigger is adjustable, but without the manual in front of me I cannot tell you in what ways. If you still need to know, e me and I will tell you what my manual has to say.

--seal killer

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
I put a Millett SP1 on my Hunter and, like you Karl, my only complaint is having to take the optics off the rail to strip it down. I called Browning and they said that they intentionally secured the barrel nut with Loctite.

I did not know that the Hunter had an adjustable trigger. Browning tech support said that it did not.

Extremely accurate firearm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Question about the Hunter.
Does it have the rear sight assembly like the Camper (plastic) or the more robust Standard?
I was going to get the Standard Stainless but there is no stock and Browning will not have any avail for at least two months.
Thanks!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
NoOne1--

I THINK the adjustable target site on my Hunter is plastic. Can you tell the difference by looking at the picture that started this thread?

I have not paid much attention to it since I cannot SEE it for shooting purposes! However, if you cannot tell from the picture I will take a look.

--seal killer

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.