Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
21 - 40 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Thats funny 1911M, I did that after looking at your bible with the original mod. I thought the safety bar would work better in the fire pos. if it were flat like the block. It works great and doesn't hang up anymore like it did before any mods.
Dated pictures or it didn't happen. :cool: This is my idea, I thought it up and you can't claim it.....of course if these things blow up because of this mod....then it was your idea....pictures or not. :D

I'm thinking this is the mod I should have come up with originally. It really does work well but the person doing the smithin needs to understand what they are doing on that safety. Properly done, the safety still works as intended. And while I'm at it......what ever happened to lots of more videos of the P22 in slo motion. I also need some slow mo of the interaction of the bottom barrel lug and guide rod head on a Ruger LCP. If you buy one I will slice it open for you on one side so we..uh....you...can make some good videos of what is going on in there for us. M1911

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wow, got the parts last evening, and couldn't wait to mod the new breech as indicated. the safety rod had already been done to the new specs, so just matched the breech to thet cut and tapered over the pin hole in a smooth ramp, and this evening fired about 10 rounds just to prove it works.
Can we say "greased snot" here? if not choose your favorite slickness and call it what you want, but it shure felt great.
Will get it out to the range soon and let them feel what has been acomplished.
Bob

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Wow, got the parts last evening, and couldn't wait to mod the new breech as indicated. the safety rod had already been done to the new specs, so just matched the breech to thet cut and tapered over the pin hole in a smooth ramp, and this evening fired about 10 rounds just to prove it works.
Can we say "greased snot" here? if not choose your favorite slickness and call it what you want, but it shure felt great.
Will get it out to the range soon and let them feel what has been acomplished.
Bob
What the heck are you talking about Bob? What new specs? I haven't given Walther permission to mod the safety bar....:cool: I want pictures and pronto if something is new. Don't make me come up there. I know where Ohio is.....Caesar Creek Lake and East Fork Lake were my projects for recreation planning. I'm pretty sure Franklin isn't hard to find. In fact I'm pretty sure I know where Franklin is and you've been using my lakes too. Oh.....perhaps you mean you had already filed your existing safety to the new profile. Had me worried that Walther might actually be paying attention and improving the pistol. :D Yep, I'm thinking this is a really good mod. M1911

·
Registered
560 Posts
Dated pictures or it didn't happen. :cool: This is my idea, I thought it up and you can't claim it.....of course if these things blow up because of this mod....then it was your idea....pictures or not. :D
:bthumb:

The only thing I wish I would have done differently is profile both of them together instead of the original mod. I think we would be OK leaving a little more material on the block. At least that way you won't have to grind as much material off of both parts.

As for the high speed stuff, all the cameras are being used. I don't know when there will be a break in the scheduling so I can use one. I really don't know when I'll have a break in my schedule! It'll get done, I just don't have any idea on a time frame. I haven't even found the time to get on here very much in the last two months or so.

·
Registered
74 Posts
:D So I got to thinking as I was playing around with a P22...
Why not file off the bottom of the safety bar ...
Here is the idea....remove 0.025"/0.030" from a stock breech block and safety bar....area marked in red. The idea is that the hammer would no longer drag on these areas at all.

Here I've set the safety levers to the fire position....the only position I'm concerned with.... and I'm filing off 0.030" of material from the very bottom of the safety bar. I am not removing material from where the hammer is blocked by the safety when rotated to the safe position.

This is exactly identical to standard safety bar at Walther/Umarex P22 P.A.K. (blank ammo gun). I have such one... :bthumb: (but flat is all over the safety bar, not only in the centre!)

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
This is exactly identical to standard safety bar at Walther/Umarex P22 P.A.K. (blank ammo gun). I have such one... :bthumb: (but flat is all over the safety bar, not only in the centre!)
Hmmmmmmmm? Pictures please. v tem primeru , prosim prepovedati vstop z napisno tablo neki za nas pogledati. oni rajši ne življati od to steal svoj umislek že. :D

M1911

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
I'm not realy familiar with that pistol. Blanks huh. So does the slide cycle when you fire it? What is it used for other than starting races? The reason I didn't file all the way across is that I wanted to leave as much metal as possible for strength but remove enough to clear the hammer. So did Walther design this safety this way so that this low powered pistol would cycle the hammer across the safety? If so you'd think they might do something similar for the P22 and save everyone a lot of headaches. M1911

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Sent off a request for more spare "working on" parts from S&W. I want to see if this mod will allow the use of a stock hammer. If so that will eliminate any work there. I also need some other stuff....perhaps they will throw in a Bodyguard just because they like me.....:D

I don't get that pistol Igrlik....I looked at some you tube videos of those pistols in operation and they do in fact cycle the slide I suppose just from the blowback of the gas. But I still don't get it. Wouldn't 9mm blanks cost quite a bit and why exactly would you fire them if you weren't starting a race??? I'm not sure firing a blank pistol in celebration of the 4th of July would go over well in a crowd....even in Alabama where everyone has a gun. M1911

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Up date......!!! up date!!!! I tried to file another safety bottom, I think a new one and either I have a dull file or Walther has made the thing out of something much harder. I will get it but the first one was like butter compared to this one. The file is bouncing off of it.... what the heck???? I need a milling shop.....who has one they aren't using? M1911

·
Registered
91 Posts
They must use hardenned steel for the safety roll for a good reason. If your previous one was not hard, then there would be a good reason to, again, worry about Walthers quality control.

Now, I've been following this thread and while I like the change you've suggested (why didn't Walther 's German engineers think of it?) I have one worry. The breach seems to be made of the same soft, malleable zinc alloy as the slide. Dont' you think that using the breach to cock the hammer may put an undue wear & tear on that sloped part of the soft metal until it deforms and either breaks or stops cocking the gun altogether?. I think there is a reason why they use the hardenned steel safety roll to take the the full force from the hammer's spring.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Good thinking but I think you are giving them too much credit. :D There is so much that needs improving on the pistol beginning with the trigger bar ears. It isn't really a good idea to have the hammer drag across the safety and sometimes rotating it....took them years to resolve that one. Trigger bar ears...not yet. Then there are frame screws that work loose and don't fully engage the threads that are there. Then there are things they have modified...hammer tip...new extractor profile...now chamfering the chamber entrance...tighter trigger bar ears. The hammer BTW still rides over the safety when the pistol is fired and the safety actually moves the hammer probably 60% toward being cocked and takes the initial impact.

The PK 380 has been snapping safeties in two parts. The firing pin is lower due to it being a center fire but the pistol shares the same hammer and hammer spring. I wonder did Walter change the safety to a harder alloy. I think the breech block is steel. This safety is hard or I picked up a bad file....but I don't think so. I really doubt the hammer will be able to damage the large bottom of the breech....but I plan on finding out this weekend with about 3000 rounds. I'll post pictures of courese....I'm more concerned about the safety breaking. :bthumb: M1911

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Alright. I got that one looking better than the earlier one. Used a carbide spiral straight shank cutter on my Dremel. Made a beautiful cut by rubbing it back and forth. Almost didn't need polishing....but I polished it anyway. In checking a little closer the safety still is responsible for 90% or more of pushing the hammer rearward which is why you want to polish the rear edge of your flat cut just a bit. The hammer also rides over 1/4" or more of the breech block and spans the entire width over the retaining pin for final cocking. I doubt there will be any wear.

A check of the pistol with a strong pencil magnet shows that the sights, slide, polymer housing, takedown lever , safety levers and frame are MIM'd zinc or polymer. The rest of the pistol is steel. The safety, springs, trigger bar, barrel, barrel sleeve, hammer, sear, nut, etc. I could not break this safety either with 500 whacks. 100 set to the fire position.....400 on the safety. Still works fine, no marks on the hammer or safety. This one is as slick as the other.

I just don't see these pistols hanging up at all for any reason at this point. Gonna find out this weekend. I think there is enough energy absorbed by the slide having to cock the hammer to save it from unreasonable hard stops and after that the hammer is sitting on top of 1/4" of breech block. Between the rebound off the takedown stop and the fully compressed recoil spring....if the slide will move that 1/4" the hammer will be completely free of the slide and only have to shove a round home.

I wasn't having any problem anyway but I'm really not expecting any now.....of course it all might blow up. :):AR15firin M1911

This little carbide bit in a Dremel cut the safety notch beautifully and with no problem. The safety is steel..

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
With all these diagrams of problems, modifications, etc, why doesn't Walther just improve the P22 design and stop making the slides out of cheap metal?
Because they are still selling like hotcakes and changes cost money. I fired the new breech mod over 1,000 rounds last weekend. The pistol worked fine, there is no damage to the safety or breech.. Pictures tomorrow. But for some reason Federal bulk will just not work like RGBs. 5% of the time there would be no round in the chamber after a shot with the feds.....no problem at all with Winchester or RGBs. Had the same problem with them in my 10/22. Don't know what the problem is. They drop into the chamber fine but sometimes don't eject and sometimes they eject the case but apparently just aren't powerful enough to cycle the slide back far enough to pick up the next round. And if this slide won't move back then they sure won't cycle a stock one.

But with the right ammo the pistol fires without a hitch. I didn't even lube it or clean it. The new mod is slick. M1911

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello i'm a new user on the forum but i visit and read the threads almost every day, i'm from Mexico and here is really hard to find parts for the pistols because the laws of the country, i own a P22 from a couple of years and the last weekend start to have troubles like FTF, i read this thread and i did the modification like 1917-1919M says and works like a charm :bthumb:

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hello i'm a new user on the forum but i visit and read the threads almost every day, i'm from Mexico and here is really hard to find parts for the pistols because the laws of the country, i own a P22 from a couple of years and the last weekend start to have troubles like FTF, i read this thread and i did the modification like 1917-1919M says and works like a charm :bthumb:
Bienvenido Macvill ..... donde usted está en México y dar la bienvenida al RFC. Ese martillo colgando la diapositiva ha sido un problema desde el primer día. Crea arrastre demasiado y era el problema hace unos años con la seguridad en rotación involuntaria. He despedido a más de 1.000 minas veces con este último mod sin incidentes y dejó caer el martillo sobre la seguridad debilitada 500 veces. Algo que no hacen normalmente. No hay problema ....... ¡Infórmenos sobre su disparando. :bthumb: M1911

·
Registered
13 Posts
Muchas gracias por la bienvenida, tratare de subir imagenes hoy por la noche que llegue a casa.

Many thanks for the welcome, i try to upload images tonight when i go home.

BTW i shot 300 rounds after the mod with any FTF, the hammer still drag a little, but after the mod and polish like a mirror my p22 feels really smooth :D

21 - 40 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.