Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Just bought an NTG110H with WiFi myself, and it's a nice addition to my gun bench tool set. I had read some about carbon rings, but never worried to much about them because I thought I kept my old rimfires pretty clean and they stay pretty well tuned up and on target...well, I've looked at 6 six of them so far and all six have carbon rings ranging from "bad" to "light". The worst one was on my Winchester 1890 made in 1919. The lightest one was on a 1975 Browning SA22. I shoot quite a bit since I have a good range area here at the house, and I've always cleaned the guns well (I thought..!) after each session. From now on I'll pay more attention to the chamber areas..! CLP, a brass brush, and patches worked well for me, but I did soak the 1890 chamber overnight in the CLP. For the Browning I just soaked a patch in CLP and left it in the chamber for about 20 minutes before using the brush...the borescope is a nice tool, and I'm sure I'll find other uses for it around the house..!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Goof Off

One of the other gents on RFC wrote a thread on using industrial strength goof off on the carbon ring.

I had one that wasn't coming out no matter how hard I tried, or what I tried. I soaked a patch in goof off and put it in the chamber overnight. It is hands down the easiest and most effective cleanup I've used. A bronze brush in the chamber after soaking only got it spotless.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I haven't seen anyone mention "BoreTech C4 Carbon Remover" for the carbon ring in these replies. That stuff is like magic. I soak a patch with it and use a jag to push it just past the chamber and leave it for 30 mins or so. Repeat if necessary. It *will* remove the ring. But BE SURE to neutralize the C4 with plenty of oil because C4 left on metal will rust.....

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I haven't seen anyone mention "BoreTech C4 Carbon Remover" for the carbon ring in these replies. That stuff is like magic. I soak a patch with it and use a jag to push it just past the chamber and leave it for 30 mins or so. Repeat if necessary. It *will* remove the ring. But BE SURE to neutralize the C4 with plenty of oil because C4 left on metal will rust.....
Carbon C4 is good stuff, let it soak with a patch on a jag for a while and the carbon comes right out, really bad carbon rings may require two applications to get rid of it, I haven't seen where it causes rust tho, actually says it has a short term rust preventative in it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Carbon C4 is good stuff, let it soak with a patch on a jag for a while and the carbon comes right out, really bad carbon rings may require two applications to get rid of it, I haven't seen where it causes rust tho, actually says it has a short term rust preventative in it.
Maybe it was coincidental, but I had a barrel rust on the surface immediately after using C4 last year. It was the only cleaner I used that day. Thats anecdotal, admittedly, but I'll never leave any trace of it on any of my barrels anymore. But it is absolutely dynamite for cleaning the carbon ring.....

21 - 25 of 25 Posts