Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

New Bee question here....Sunshades

447 3
Hey all. This question is totally based on lack of experiance. What benifit does having a sunshade provide?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3,642 Posts
Sunshades

medicman5000,

As the name implies, a sunshade keeps the direct rays of the sun off the objective lens [big lens up front], thus reducing glare and internal reflections of light within the scope tube.

Sunshades most often are threaded to fit into the objective bell of the scope; others slip-on over the objective bell; and yet, a third type utilizes a special 'waffle grid' in a filter type element to reduce glare.

Hope this helps....! ! :)

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BigMike

Thanks for the input. I guess either I have never had that problem or just didnt realize the problem due to having never used a sun shade. This may be one of those things where I need to try one and see if it provides any improvements. I have a simmons 4.5-14x40AO scope. Where is the best place to find a sunshade??

· Registered
3,642 Posts
Sunshade for Simmons

medicman5000,

The first place to check is "Simmons", as the internal threads vary from maker to maker....! ! In other words, a "Leupold" 40mm sunshade probably won't fit on a "Simmons" 40mm scope....! ! :eek:

Secondly, check the scope suppliers selling "Simmons" scopes for 'accessories'....! ! :)

Lastly, check the "generic sunshade" suppliers to see if they offer one for your scope:
"Dvorak Instruments" [slip-on type]
"Scopesmith Lens Shades" [Leupold accessory]
"Tenebraex Sunguard ARD" [filter type]

Hope this helps....! ! :)

Good Luck....! ! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.