Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

new barrel install

446 5
this is my first 10/22 build and I have a question.

I've got a 18inch adams and bennet barrel I'm trying to install and the fit is seriously tight.

any suggestions on how to get it together.

the old barrel slid right out, but this one is tight.

thanks

Sinbad
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
throw the barrel in the freezer for a while, it'll shrink a bit due to the cold..

if that don't help, throw it back in, and when you are ready to install, heat up the reciever with a blow dryer it'll expand, the barrel will be shrunk and it should work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same problem with my A&B and ended up sending it back and getting a brand new one. The new one was really tight also but I got it to work. I first used some Browning bore cleaner and a toothbrush to scrub the heck out of the mounting points of the barrel and the receiver. Then I cleaned it thoroughly with Tri-flo teflon lube, wiped it clean and then spread a little of the tri flo around the surfaces with my finger and the barrel went in. You have to twist the barrel back and forth so be careful not to hurt the receiver by pulling the barrel one direction. You will be able to get it if you do this. If not, clean it again and lube it up and try, try again.

G

·
Had the same problem with a volquartsen barrel a few years back.
I put the stripped receiver in a ziplock bag and dipped it in a pot of boiling/simmering water for a few seconds. Pulled it out and the barrel slipped right on.

Duke

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have tried the heat and ice trick and did not have much luck. If it is a new barrel (and not a Whistle Pig which needs some fitting) then I would send a really tight barrel back to the company if possible. You could also try to remove a very small amount of metal from rear of the barrel sleeve with steel wool. On steel this could take some work. Be sure to clean well when test fitting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.