Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This afternoon I picked up my new American and after a cleaning session I am a little disapointed. I have a one year old Special which has in every way been a complete joy to own and shoot. I wanted to keep the Special for iron sight use and picked up the American to use with a scope and eventually use it in silhouette shoots. The American however on first inspection is not up to the standards of my Special. There are heavy mill marks on the dovetail channel cut, on all the surfaces of the bolt opening and at the back of the receiver as well. These marks are deep and distract from the overall apearance. The bluing is otherwise nice with a deep look. The bolt is very nice and the bolt fit and stroke is great. I lucked out , the stock is nicely figured and finished, not AAA Fancy but it will look nice with a few coats of wax. I used Mpro-7 for the internal cleaning and after 1/2 hour or so I had the patches showing no brown. I ran patches till dry and then 3 wet Hoppies 9 and will let that sit for 24 hours and go at it again till clean. BTW it came with a metal mag and that fits well and drops free. The bbl makes full contact with the stock on the right - dont they all??? - I'll rework that after I complete a full function test and am sure it is a keeper. I am a bit bummed at the metal work on the receiver, I prefer the rough, flat finish of the Special to the blued gloss scored up milling of the American. I will report back with the range report sometime this weekend. It will be getting a new Bushnell Scopechief 6-20 x 40 for glass and I will run 4 varieties of Eley, some RWS and misc to see what it likes to eat.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a quick update - it has rained most of the time and I have not made it to the range yet, maybe later today. I have sanded and resealed the bbl channel - it floats free now.

I also have discovered that despite using Hoppies #9, Butches Bore Shine, Mpro-7, EEZOX, Hoppies Benchrest, brake cleaner and Flitz I AM STILL getting brown out of the bore! Everytime I think the patches are comming out clean, I try another solvent and the brown traces appear again. I have had the most success using the felt pellets with Flitz, it appears to really pull the stuff out. If anyone has not used these before they are nice, a great way to apply JB, Flitz, or your favorite lube, Brownels sells them in a number of cal. Does anyone have a good way to get this stuff out? I am not sure I should bother to try. Whith the Special all I did was pull 3 - 4 wet patches through, followed by dry patches until dry, lube with fp-10 and shoot. From my experiances with this gun I'm sure the Special was not clean but it shoots great - would it have shot better if it had been cleaned more? Am I removing a trade secret coating which makes these guns shoot so well? Any ideas or comments anyone?

·
Registered
88 Posts
CZ Barrel brown stuff

I'm noticing the same with my new Ultra Lux. Didn't happen with my .17 American, and certainly never with any of my stainless Green Mountain 10/22 barrels. Only place I've ever run into it before was cleaning a friends grandfather's old 30.06 Remington 740.
I'm assuming it's barrel rust. I hope not, but I sure doubt it's some CZ special "coating".
I just kind of gave up on getting it all out of my Ultra Lux, dragged a couple of oily patches through and started shooting lead bullet .22's through. I did even remove the bolt and carefully send the .22 bronze brush through a few times, but that just resulted in even more of this brown gunk... :confused:

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about brown stuff coming out of the bore of a new rifle. It may be either preservative or polishing compound. Remington's are tumbled in a mix that leaves brown gunk in the exterior finish that takes months to get out of the pores.

Too much cleaning, especially with polishing compound, is worse on your barrel than just shooting it to break it in. Besides, shooting is a heck of a lot more fun.

John

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The brown stuff that comes out of new CZ barrels is the left over factory bluing salts. It's normal on .22 CZ's. They all have it, and I shot mine out.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,

I think I am sufficiently bored with the cleaning process to move on to shooting. The only hitch is that while It was raining I went to a local gun shop and ordered a pair of the Burris Signature 22 rings - they will arrive Tues so Wed will have to be the christening. I see no point in remounting the scope when they arrive.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Took me about 5 days of soaking and patch pulling to get it all out, but I'm glad I did. The rifle has no tendancy to lead and takes many rounds fired before accuracy deteriorates.
I'd treat another new one the same way.
Take care,
warren

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I just shoot it, to work in the bolt and barrel. Run a bunch a rounds through it first before trying favorite ammo to break it in. Say for fun plink with a box of dynapoints and clean it every now and then. It seems to get more accurate as you go.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
md10/22 said:
...ordered a pair of the Burris Signature 22 rings...
I'll be curious to hear about your experience with the Signature 22 rings.

So far I have not heard many success stories about the Signature 22 rings on the CZ's with the 3/8" dovetail. They should be perfect. My pet theory is that the extra large dovetail on the CZ doesn't allow both claws to engage the bottom of the dovetail and they end up tilting. Old Corps Joe has tried them on his American and he is currently using one of my adapters with Signature Zee rings.

I haven't used them myself so perhaps people who have can comment.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Burris Signature 22 rings

Brookie is correct on the .22 Signature rings. I tried them on my American. At first I thought they were OK. Closer look showed they were definitely canted to the side. Very disappointing!
Mike

·
Registered
820 Posts
MD10/22.....

I use Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner, it works and works very fast.
BUT, on my first CeeeeeZeeeee's I just shot the brown out and they are just as accurate as my latter ones that I have cleaned the brown out before shooting.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE #2:

First let me tell you how I set the gun up. I have a set of Brookies adapters from 3/8 to weaver and a pair of Burris Signature Zee rings mounting a Bushnell Scopechief 6-20 x 40. This setup puts the scope in the perfect place for my eye, the bolt clears the scope eye bell by just less than 1/4". The scope objective is close to the bbl, if I put the scope end caps which came with the scope on there is a slight interfearance fit I think that buttler creek covers will fit without making bbl contact. I have installes a spring only from Brookies kit and now it has roughly a 1.2# pull.

I have not had that perfect day at the range - it has been breezy to windy on each of the three occasions I have had to shoot for groups. It took over 250 rounds for me to get it to shoot tight groups. At first I thought I had a lemon, groups at 50yds were between 1-2" and 4" at 75 and 100, this was not due to the wind either I shot my custom 10/22 as reference to see what to expect - I was getting .6" at 50 and .75" at 75 and under 1" at 100. As I said the bbl became a shooter somewhere around the 250 round mark. I have to date tested CCI Mini mags & Green Tag, Fed Lightnings and some of the good older 711B, Eley Club, Eley Tgt Rifle, Eley Silhouex, Eley Prectice 100, Rem Tgt 6100, SK Match, SK Match Rifle and RWS Tgt Rifle. I pulled two dry patches through the bore after each brand of ammo was shot and fouled the bbl with 5 rounds of the next ammo prior to shooting for groups. Based on the results of 5 groups of five for each , so far RWS Tgt Rifle groups best with Eley Tgt Rifle and Silhouex close behind. To be honest as with my CZ Special these guns shoot everything well. I shot my best score this week in our small bore silhouette league with it - an 18 - so I am happy . I think I will lighten the trigger a little further but other than that I will shoot it as she sits.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.