Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after asking alot of questions and getting lots of replies, I broke down and picked up a new 882SSV on friday. I went throught the normal break in (shoot, patch, shoot, patch etc.) and it is holding .65+/[email protected] I was using CCI Maxis and TNTs, not the best I know. I really dont know what type of ammo to use so I will start trying several types and see what happens. Any suggestions on ammo? I The conditions at the range were also terrible, windy a really cold thus the shaky groups...LOL. I expect the groups to be reduced in better conditions and after I work the trigger over. I outfitted it with a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5X10, harris bi-pod and a hard case. So far I am really happy with it. The only problem would be the mounts. I should have gotten differant ones but got so excited that I forgot and just used the factory ones. The stock needs some work but I may just get a new one, I just havent decided yet, as the choices are limited. Well thanks again for all that helped and here is a pic of the new toy.

JAG
Hood River, OR

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
BEAUTIFUL!

Hey JAG,

Beautiful Gun!

I mounted a Simmons 8 Point Silver scope on mine in 3-9X power. It is so beautiful!

Im looking at replacing the stock though.....Too thin for my liking, but it works for right now.

My gun particularly likes Winchester Supremes.....I havent tested TNTs yet, but they are getting their "claim to fame" from ChiefDave on here. You can trust everything he says too! I just havent tested them yet.

I just put my Harris Bi-Pod on my new 17V......I really need a 17VS now....Laminated stock and stainless barrel!!! These are a few of my favorite things ;D

Id definitely try Winchester Supremes.....Although be careful what you shoot with them.....They will completely take a rabbits head off....No kidding!
Of course, the TNTs might do the same thing! Have to try them out once the weather warms up!

You might also want to try the new Remington Premiers with the GREEN ballistic tip!

(Guess if I didnt spend so much on my 10/22 upgrades, I could afford Leupold scopes....Got the VX-1 in 3-9X on my 17V, but it was only $200...)

Good luck and Congrats on the wonderful rifle purchase!

Let us know what you like best!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
I picked up some Win supremes, MAXI +Vs and PMCs but will have to order the Remingtons as they are not stocked at the local shop. Thanks though, because I seen those Premiers somewhere (mag, web, show??) and could not for the life of me remember who made em. I know now so look out!!!!!!!!!
I did see the effects of those TNTs here on the farm this morning after I logged out the last time, WOW! I called the guy I got them from and told him I wanted the rest of the brick. I bought three boxes @ 6.00 and he dropped it to 5.00 for the last 7 boxers. Not sure if that was a good deal but I will have them at least, without having to drive all the way into town......YUK!

Oh,  I sent an email to Rick Sanborn at Green Mountain Barrel company showing my support for the switch barrel kit.

Ill post target pics next time I go out and the groups get were they should be.

Happy hunting,
JAG

·
Registered
45 Posts
Glad you chose the 882SSV.  I sure like mine.  I have an old Weaver K-4 mounted on it and it shoots under .5 at 50 yds most of the time if I do my part.

What are you planning to do with the trigger?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hillclimber,
The trigger on this one is pretty good right now, although I havent measured the pull weight. I will start by stoning the both engagement areas and then using a dremmel with a small buffing wheel on them. I use a polishing compound on the wheel that really makes em smooth.
At this point I am just cleaning up the factory trigger, removing any rough spots, burrs or imperfections in the metal.
It really is amazing what a little polishing can do for a trigger.
These triggers are fairly simply and tune easy, as they have very few moving parts and dissasembly quickly.
Then I will work in steps, stone and polish etc.
I will shoot it after each polish(basically finished) to not only check trigger weight but to check travel and if I like it.
The last being the most important.
I had a Rem700 in a 308, Hart barrel, HS stock etc...... It had a very light trigger. I hated it. It broke, uhhhmm, weird?? I just didnt feel right, to me. The guy who has it now, LOVES it.
Anyway, hope this helps and I will post progress and pics if I can remember.

JAG
Hood River, OR

·
Registered
103 Posts
You can get a laminated stock from Marlin for $67. Youll have to open the barrel channel alittle (sandpaper on a broomhandle works). When you order the stock you have to call Marlin and ask for the screws. I got one for my 880 SQ and like it alot. The balance is way better than the plastic stock. So what are going to be shooting at? Just paper or do you hunt? I live in Portland and go east quite offten to shoot ground squirrels and Im going to try calling coyotes this summer.

Happy shooting,    Matt.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Quickdraw,
I checked there site and looked at the stocks they have. I want to check one out prior to buying. Shell get a new stock though, in time.
As far as what I shoot, EVERYTHING!
I hunt as much as I can. I am just now getting more serious about my varmint hunting as big game has usually taken most of my hunting time.
I went this last weekend (got pissed on) and plan to go as often as I can. Shoot me an email and we can talk about it more. I am heading east in mid april for a hunt but want to check out this peice of land outside of Maupin before then, maybe next weekend. ANyway I will talk to you later.

Until we shoot again,
JAG

"Spread out! One grenade will kill ya all!"

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just thought I'd let you know that I have had terrible results with the Remington Premier in the plastic box with the tan tips. I bought two different boxes 6 months apart to make sure that it wasn't just a bad run with one box.

Last years production of Premiers in the paper box with the GREEN TIP WORKED GREAT, and produced the best groups of all ammo I tried at 100 yards with my 982VS. The green tips are old stock however, and as far as I can tell, are no longer produced. I was sooooo disappointed with the performance comparison between the tan and green tips, that I contacted Remington to ask them why they had change the production and SCREW UP A GOOD THING!!!! (I have since found nothing that works quite as good. Federal Gold Dot 50 grainer's are the next best at 50 and 100 yards. Winchester Supreme at 50 yards only)

I've heard it mentioned here on RC that it is two different companies that produced the two different runs of Premiers.

VIPER: If you know something I don't know, and are finding fresh production of GREEN TIP PREMIERS, would you confirm this, and tell me where you're finding it. All I find is that crappy tan tip stuff everywhere in Houston. I'm hoping there's two runs of it going on simultaneously in different regions of the country.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.