Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well an interesting new rifle showed up today.
A non grooved 69A with a Mag that says model 60 on it , patented 1919.
Also the rear sight is kind of funny, the blade ramp is completely loose, so that when you try and raise the sight for elevation, the blade is held in place by the sight?
Bolt action isn't real smooth on this rifle, but the spring mag release functions perfectly
Why in the Hell is it that almost every nice old Win 22 rifle I come across here in Canada, some GBALL, has felt the need to put additional coats of clear laquer on the stock. Is there a product out there that I can use to more or less bring back the original finish?
I do think that I got an OK buy on this rifle at $150.00
Regards Greg

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Strip the stock's finish and hand rub tung oil on. If the stock is too light when it's stripped then stain it darker before using the tung oil. Apply each coat thinly and allow to dry before adding more oil. It makes a very nice finish.

Another finish that comes out nice is boiled linseed oil (NOT raw linseed oil which NEVER dries!) and a little liquid French polish mixed together. The French polish will darken the finish. Hand rub it on and allow the coat to dry. Use fine steel wool to rub it down and then apply another coat. Repeat until you're satisfied with the results. The more coats, the more shine you'll get.

Both finishes can be retouched with another coat of the oil when needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.