Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

Registered
I feel your pain. My just purchased 457 Varmint has a trigger pull straight out of the box @ 4 lbs. I have tried the trigger adjustment on other 457s and have never got a good trigger pull and feel without buying a spring kit. What I have done on the last two is order a Timney drop in trigger. It is adjustable from 10 ounces to 3 ish pounds. No creep and crisp clean break. Around $150 here in the states. Hopefully mine will be here today and I can give it the trigger it deserves.

Update. Timney was in the mail today. I have it installed and set at 12 ounces. Breaks like a glass rod. Super good feel.

Registered
Your new 457 is definitely adjustable.
Dont give up on it. I have 3 457s and they range from 1lb to 1.5lbs. with no creep or over travel. Like gmd said. Sear adjustment is key.
In a nutshell from my personal experience in plain english. The screw closest to the receiver with a lock nut; back out with zero tension on the trigger spring, then tighten nut.
Next one down; "over travel " adjust till about three and a half threads are showing.
Now for the sear engagement; put in a snap cap first. Then adjust that tiny screw in the trigger itself slowly till you hear your rifle fire; then very, very slightly turn it back and test your trigger with a snap cap. The range of adjustment at this point is small and a quarter turn will be too far or not safe.
You may need to play with the over travel screw some, but maybe not.
After find your trigger to a nice weight take a rubber mallet or chunk of 2x4 lumber and bop the back of your receiver while the rifle is cocked and test for bump fire. This method is my preference so I am not putting stress on my stock. Also aggressively close the bolt a few times and be sure the rifle doesn't fire.
Then just go have fun!

I hope this makes sense.

Registered
The problem may be in the way that you are making your adjustments. There is an order and method to it that works best. I don鈥檛 have a link handy but with just a little search, you鈥檒l find it here. Don鈥檛 give up.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did it the way they recommend it , I am not new to this been adjusting Jewel triggers Remington triggers you name it for more than 35 40 years .
I believe ours are different I've got half inch UNF thread half inch by 20 that is even stamped on the barrel

Registered
Look at this Trigger job thread here in this forum. Lots of good stuff about this trigger specifically and good info in general. Hopefully this will help you. I would suggest you read the entire Long thread..... The top surface of the trigger and the sear sometimes looks like they used a beaver to cut the surfaces and show heavy tool marks. Simply polishing with 400 grit and stoning does a Lot of good.

Registered
I did it the way they recommend it , I am not new to this been adjusting Jewel triggers Remington triggers you name it for more than 35 40 years .
I believe ours are different I've got half inch UNF thread half inch by 20 that is even stamped on the barrel
He was too vague to be honest.
There is a lot of liability involved because he is basically speaking for CZ.
He can't tell you what works exactly, and he leaves a lot for the viewer to discover.
I posted a few spots above, and stand by my method. You can try what I do, and its absolutely reversible if you arent happy with it.
Pm me if you want a better description.
I am not a gunsmith or CZ representative so take my advice as just that. Although what I do is proven so far, and others here would agree after they tried what I suggested. I've been complimented and thanked in PMs so I feel like you will find that perfect balance in the near future.
Good luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The anschutz rifles I have had have great triggers and very easy to replace springs and adjust maybe I'm just getting old and slipping a bit , they are after all only triggers theres nothing really complicated about it will have another go tomorrow see what I can do

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Look at this Trigger job thread here in this forum. Lots of good stuff about this trigger specifically and good info in general. Hopefully this will help you. I would suggest you read the entire Long thread..... The top surface of the trigger and the sear sometimes looks like they used a beaver to cut the surfaces and show heavy tool marks. Simply polishing with 400 grit and stoning does a Lot of good.
Will do right now

PS as soon as I clicked on that got the first post seen the drawing read that thread last week .

Registered
1/2x20 on the barrel only refers to the barrel threaded nut for suppressors or other devices. Same on all European ones and most of the US ones - youll hear lots of Americans moaning they need to buy a x20 to x28 thread adapter to make their muzzle toys work :p. Doesn't make them any different.

Trigger is super easy to work on. Got 3 of mine down to a bit over a pound, stock standard - zero creep or flop. One I replaced the spring with the Yo Dave (guy in Adelaide and a guy in Nambour sell them here) and that one is my range fun gun

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well back into the trigger today I even took the spring weight screw completely out brakes dead on 3 lbs redone sear engagement and overtravel got that better it's more crisp but it's still atrocious.
Bicycle part Motor vehicle Automotive tire Machine Metal

Registered
I can't remember the exact detail, but I recall there was someone having issues with adjusting their 457 trigger to what they desired. They solved it by removing and lubing up all the adjustment screws/threads and working them in and out to their full extent of travel, then starting the adjustment process from scratch.

They eventually got it adjusted significantly lower than what it would initially go to. They thought that their process possibly got rid of some burrs or something on the threads in the trigger mechanism. I tried searching for a while but couldn't find the post, but i do recall them making a post saying they had the adjustment issue and that other people should try this potential fix.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts