Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, just bought a new 10-22 for the grandkids (yeah right, ha, ha, ha). Anyway, it's the first one I've bought since 1970s. Fixed that one up with bull barrel, trigger work, aftermarket stock,etc... thanks to ideas from RimfireCentral tips. It sure seems to me like they have trimmed out the new guns. Different wood (birch?), plastic butt cap, sharper metal edges, and other minor stuff. Not really complaining as it's still a heck of a rifle for the money. Just curious if anyone else had noticed. Oh yeah. The grandkids have a ball with that BMF activator and 25 rd. mag that I won't let em use on my target gun.

Cheers, Bob

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Hiya BobW:
Good luck with the grandkid's and the new rifle.
I had to buy my 11 year old a new 10/22 this spring , after he picked off a thumbtac at 100 yard's after telling me he was going to... :S
Really funny part was an old friend was there trying to sight in a Rem 742 30.06 for his 14 year old.son and his first year Youth Hunt.. Whitetail..
The poor guy no matter what I did,, could not get within 5 inches of center with it himself. An Adult..
My son , at 11 year's, picked up a tack and placed it in the bullseye and said.. Dad,, I am gonna shoot that..
To wich I replied..
That would be a good shot..
He did it with my 29 year old 10/22
My friend got flustered and left. :(
I bought my son his own 10/22 this spring..
But it gave me a chance to build mine up and do some thing's I had put off for some time because I figured I would be setting up my old one for him..
New GM Running Boar Barrel and a 40th anniversary stock on a bi-centenial reciver.. Normal 1/2 inch group's now at 50 yards for 10 shots.. :)
Trigger work next..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I usta see good too

Yep, I sure wish I could see and shoot as good as my grandkids. You know, we must be doing something right if they have learned well enough to outshoot us. Heck, it was a long time before I could outshoot my dad and I'm not sure if I ever out shot my grandfather. But, as painful as it is I sure like the braggin rights that comes with their shootin ability. Thumb tacks at 100 yds and 11 years old - mighty fine marksmanship!!!! That young man is destined to be polishing trouphies before long.

Cheers, Bob

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
The confidence in knowing it can be done has alot to do with it ,and he has watched and learned more than I gave him credit for.
A few months ago, I was talking to a lifelong neibor that I shoot with alot.
I was telling him I was getting a new 17 HMR and he said.. another Ruger no doubt.. Of coarse I answered.. I know them well and have never had one I could not get to shoot..
My kid replied..
I have never seen any gun you couldnt make shoot..
Sometime's they pay attention weather or not you do..
Jed..

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Got a few years myself, no grandsons but two granddaughters. My wife has talked about getting them a 22lr once they are a little older (just over 2 and almost 4) and letting them shoot when they come out to visit. Jody also says I'll have to paint the stock pink for them :) If they are anything like my wife they will be able to shoot quite well!

Dave Z.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
You may have a year or two GM Fixer..
I hear ya though..
I have come across a couple female's that could hunt and shoot right along with the best of em..
Loose there boot in a swamp in November and keep right on going.
Never complain about it at all..
**** , that made me smile.
Her husband , the lazy turd,, "My Brother Inlaw"
Was up on the ridge staying nice and dry hopeing we would kick something out for him.
But really that only happen's because they had either a dad or brother's to help them along..
Someone told me a gal kicked everyone's butt at Camp Perry this year..
There is never no harm in planning for tomorrow.
Good Luck..
Jed..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
girlz and shootin

My granddaughter (6) can shoot circles around my grandson (8) with a Ruger MK II but he does better with the 10-22. Of course, a lot of that is because she is small and the 10-22 stock is a little long for her (she refuses to pull the trigger until the sight pictures just the way she likes it). Anyway GM Fixer, I found a Cricket .22LR at our local Wallymart and it fits her to a tee. As a matter of fact the boy is kind of liking it too. The Rugers will win out but, the Cricket is making rifle shooting a lot more fun for my granddaughter for now and she will grow into the larger and heavier rifles. Take a look at the cricket websight, it may be a good rifle to start your granddaughters on and they come in pink!!!

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
It dont take alot to make a good rifle for a youngster.
As long as they can get comfee with them it is half the battle.
A few week's ago I was in a local shop here.
The guy was displaying a Custom Cuda built on a Chipmonk Rifle..
I sure had to do a doubletake on that..
At first I thought it was a 1/2 scale Ruger Race Rifle..
Very pretty and awfull cute.
A bit extreame for me, but showed what a good imagination could do.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i have seen it

you can order it direct from the factory now. looks good but you have to remember they are gong to outgrow it. I like the full sized guns with a lopped off stock. when they get bigger you can put on a bigger stock and still have a good gun.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
This is true to a good extent.
I used to tell people if I did not buy shoe's 2 sizes too big for my boy's, they usually would out grow them befor I got home from the store.
But a gun where they cannot really get to the sight's right is not much good anyway..
I always try to start my kid's or people with Ironsight's..
It is really where and decent airgun ,or even a .22 pistol come's in pretty handy.
Fundemental's are good..
Jed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.