Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:boohoo: Well - I just tried out my brand new - bone stock 10/22 and I have to say I love it....except......I was getting some malfunctions with the factory mags and the two 25 round B.C. mags I just bought (one steel, one plastic). I used this new bulk ammo from Walmart called "Winchester Xpert 22 hollow point" - 36 grains. It would hang up a case every 5 - 10 rounds in all of the mags (by the end of the session the plastic BC had a few flawless runs - go figure....)....

It would partially eject the case then strip another round off the mag catching the spent round and the live round half in the chamber....what a wearout!!!

I suspect it may be that I need to use high velocity ammo in the gun. I ran half a box of cci mini mags through it using the steel lips B.C. mag (the worst performing mag of the bunch) and it worked great. Any suggestions?

· Premium Member
3,162 Posts
winchester xpert are the worst ammo to use in a semi-auto. the truncated cone bullet tends to hang up on the chamber. get some round nose solids or hp and have at it. Mini mags are great, but federal lightenings/cci blazers are much much cheaper :)

· Registered
76 Posts
at the range today in my stocker 10/22 i fired about 260 Xperts and 280 Dynapoints. i used a BC 25 hotlips and the stock ruger mag. (im pretending like this is a scientific experiment but its not) i had more feed porblems with the xperts but mostly 1st round or when i was rapid firing. the dynapoints fed better but were a little more expensive. in MY gun they were both close to equal. if i get a stovepipe jam or a misfeed every 50 rounds i can live with that for less than 1/2 the price of the ammo a lot of folks on here shoot. (about $ 0.0178 a bullet). this is just my experience and it isnt based on science or even performed by someone who has a clue what they are talking about.

· Registered
623 Posts
CLOBBERSAURAS said:
I suspect it may be that I need to use high velocity ammo in the gun.
I suspect you probably need to run a brick or two through the gun to get it broken in. Anything stronger than standard velocity. Use all of your mags too as they need breaking in as well.

After 1000 rounds, try the standard velocity again. Betcha everything works out fine. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.