Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a few things I missed:

The firing pin support assy can be removed, and makes the task of unpinning the sear and removing the sear plunger assy easier.

Firing pin hook engagement: This was my first NEOS trigger job, and I did not find a parts source (didn't query Beretta). I'm pretty sure the sear face / firing pin engagement surfaces can be reduced below 0.016", but won't risk experimenting if parts are not available. I do not go below 0.020" hammer hooks on a 1911 (different animal).

Sear plunger spring: Still looking for a suitable sub.

Sear face radius: Many smiths abhor this, but I felt the break was a little too sharp which can cause the shooter to dip the sights slightly. Your decision.

I hope the 5 previous posts help you understand or achieve a good safe trigger pull on your NEOS.

If you have experience with a NEOS, post your remarks here in the 'Beretta Forum.' I'll be more than happy to share what I know (got 30 seconds?).

I am very impressed with this pistol's simplicity. Take down is a breeze, integrated sight rail, and simple reassembly. You NEOS owners have a gem.

Note for Moderators: If these posts are considered inappropriate, hesitate not to press the circular file button.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for the posts. I've only put 100 rounds through my NEOS so far (4.5" SS) but the trigger is definitely the only serious weak point I've found with the gun for me. I'll probably put at least 500-1000 rounds through it before I try to do anything with the trigger, so keep us informed.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Asmodeous,

The NEOS is a very easy trigger job with the right tools and knowledge. It's also far too easy to go just a little too far.

If you understand how to lap or stone a flat metal surface to a high polish without rounding corners, you're half way there.

Go Slow! Work one face / engagement surface at a time. Reassemble and try. Keep each surface square (perpendicular to action direction). Sear / firing pin engagement, sear spring pressure and sear plunger height all work in concert. Exercise extreme care in these areas. If this is beyond your skill, burn copies of the NEOS posts and take'm to your gunsmith. Better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
467 Posts
38super,

I see no problems with the trigger job postings.

You did it in a manner that everyone can understand it and as long as everyone understands if they don't do it correctly, RimfireCentral.com and all of its Members and Users are protected by the person clicking on the Agree button at the rimfirecentral.com Front Page.

You also added Disclaimers to your directions!

I'd say that all bases are covered.

Very good job! :t

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow great info!

Hello there. I just got my 4.5 inch barreled INOX Neos today. I'm going to shoot it some this weekend but I can't get out to the range before then.

I just got home and field stripped it but then I didn't see how to get the firing pin/ sear/ etc. off so I could polish them? Got some help for me? At this point the firing pin is just sitting there cocked looking like it wants to punch a hole in my head.

Thanks!

J.T.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At this point the firing pin is just sitting there cocked looking like it wants to punch a hole in my head.
You really shouldn't get in that practice, it's hard to explain that funny mark.

OK silkanimator, here we go. Take the firing pin out. There's a screw that holds the firing pin support to the frame. Polishing the engagement surfaces cleaned up the feel, but did not reduce the trigger pull as much as the plunger spring. Don't go too lite on this spring, a sluggish or slow sear reset will cause a burst condition.

Don't take any trigger job lightly. If your NEOS goes auto causing damage or hurts someone, its your fault.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks!

Yeah it looks like it might make a nasty dent in my skull!

I didn't see the screw. I guess I'll take it apart again tomorrow after work and see if I can find it this time. I think I'll just take your advice and go with the spring you used if I can find one locally.

So is it safe to pull the trigger and let the tension off the spring with the gun field stripped before I go removing the firing pin?

I normally take my guns apart as soon as I get them and polish the feed ramps and anything else I can get to with jewelers rouge and a dremel with a felt bit.
I'm not going to go trying to radius edges and things like that. I don't want a doubling or worse- full auto .22 pistol :)

Thanks for the help. Something HAS to be done with this trigger!

J.T.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello sikanimator,

The NEOS and Glock use a striker firing pin system. Both recoil and firing pin springs are in line to absorb slide recoil. Just hang onto the firing pin when you pull the trigger. Once the firing pin is out, the screw I mentioned will be apparent.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks again

Much appreciated! I'll get back to it tomorrow. Maybe I can pick up a spring somewhere on my lunch break.

I'd like to get the trigger pull down on this thing for a falling plate match this Saturday.

One more question if you don't mind. Will dry firing this pistol without a spent casing in the chamber cause damage?

J.T.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can't really say sikanimator,

Haven't measured the firing pin extension. If the pin does not extend past the rim recess, then dry firing is OK.

FYI: The stock sear plunger spring measures 0.085" dia. On the first NEOS, I used a short 0.095" spring that was softer (flint spring from a disposable lighter, very nice). Found a 0.085" spring removed from a Colt series 80 (sear linkage). For the NEOS I'm working on now, the plunger cap has drill marks that give a gritty feel as the plunger is compressed (don't like it).

I see you have a taste for speed events. We were doing Indoor Steel Challenge at a local range. 3" rounds and 9x12 rectangles, with the distances cut 3 to 1. Lotta fun, and it helped my IPSC and real Steel shooting too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Disposable lighter huh??

Hrmmm...maybe I'll tear apart a Bic today before going spring shopping. Other than the spring I'll give everything in there a nice smooth mirror polish. That should get me where I want to be.

Speed events... I'm actually just starting to get into them. My gun club holds falling plate matches (rimfire with iron sights, rimfire with any sights, and centerfire) as well as IDPA matches pretty regularly.

I'm just going to start off doing the falling plate for a while and then jump into IDPA. Some of those guys look pretty good. I don't want to be made a fool of just yet hah!

Thanks for the help. With a nice trigger I'll really be hooked on this little .22.

J.T.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well it appears to be a success!

I did the whole deed tonight after I got home from work. I couldn't find anyone to sell me a spring so I just busted up a disposable lighter and went with that!

I had to cut the spring down quite a bit to make it about the same length as the stock one.

One thing I noticed is that the plunger (even with the stock spring) had a very GRITTY feel to it when put pushed it down into the hole. It felt like it was always going to get stuck. I didn't like this very much and I know you're going to shake your head when you hear this but I took a piece of super-fine sandpaper and wrapped it around a q-tip and went in and out of the hole a few times. Then I metal polished the plungers themselves with a felt attachment in my dremel. Then I got out any grit that might have been left behind with a few lightly oiled q-tips. It slides nice and VERY smooth now and there isn't really any more "slop".

I oiled everything up and reassembled it. I couldn't wait to pull the trigger and man is it nice. At the very least I've reduced the pull by half. Cycling the slide it seems to be functioning 100%.

I guess I won't know for sure if it's working or if it's now a .22 machine pistol until I get it to the range. But I have a good feeling about it!

The only thing that bugs me is I can hear that cheap little spring "springing" around in there when I am checking the function. Of course I won't let that bother me when I'm shooting with my muffs on!

Thanks for all the help and advice. I'll report back once I get done at the range on Saturday!

J.T.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good for you sikanimator,

If your local range has a trigger pull gauge, see what it reads. I heard from some where that Cabela's has a digital fish scale that is very accurate ($30?).

I must be gettin' old, I was looking for a specific sized reamer to fix the plunger cap. Plum forgot about Q-Tips, thanks for the reminder. The springy sound is the coils rubbing against the tooling marks in the plunger. A little anti-seize should help.

Just make sure the sear will reset EVERY TIME, or it's gonna get exciting. One way to check is apply a little trigger pressure and slam cycle the slide. If the pin does not fall after 20 hard cycles, it's gonna work. :D :D

Hey, post of pic of your trophy when you win the Falling Plate match!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll let you know!

Hello again.

Well if anyone has a trigger pull scale I'll see if I can use it. I don't think the club owns one though.

It seems to be passing the tests so I'm not afraid. As long as the spring doesn't bind up after the first few mags and cause the sucker to go haywire!

I'm really glad I found your information here. The trigger is MUCH better now.

I'll report back Saturday night.

J.T.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It worked!

The Neos worked like a charm. The trigger is just too sweet. I didn't measure it but I will eventually.

I had no failures and the gun is pretty darn accurate. I didn't get a chance to sight it in before the match so I didn't shoot my best. The gun was shooting very high and I had to aim at the rail that the plate was sitting on to hit them!

I shot pretty good though and got placed into a class of people who actually shot very well today so I didn't place. Oh well. NEXT time! I've got it all sighted in now so I'm ready for more!

Thanks so much for all the info and advice.

J.T.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You got it bad J.T.,

One of the tricks to the plate machine is the point index. If the gun silouhette covers the plate, pull the trigger. A relaxed stomach and shoulders will help you swivel. If you are right eye dominant, try shooting from right to left (seems weird but it works). Lets your eyes (especially the left eye) pick up the next plate a little sooner.

As time progresses, you will use a timed coordinated index / trigger pull.

When sighting in, use the same sight timing and trigger pull used for the plate machine. Practice this, your pattern will get smaller.

Welcome to the ranks of the DIY gun owners, you'll feel even better when that Trophy is in hand. ;)

Your task in the future, adopt a new shooter and help them along as others have helped you. Do for them, as you would like to have been treated.

You are welcome JT, ya did a good job!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Will do.

I'll try out your advice next time I get to the range. I did notice one fellow shooting from right to left while everyone else kept shooting left to right.

There was a lot of interest in my Neos. Everyone came by and stared at it while it was lying on the bench. I let everyone pick it up and handle it. People wanted to know what it cost, how I liked it...but most of all "WHAT IS THIS??" :)

I told everyone about my trigger job and where I got the info from so maybe more u22's will show up out there and I'll be able to help them out.

Be safe.

J.T.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thank you 38Super

Just wanted to say thanks for the info on the Neos trigger work. Just got mine today, cleaned it, and shot it. I love it! Only beef is the trigger - travel/creep and heavy pull. Really threw me off for the first few rounds, but got it doped and did better. Lady friend nailed the coke can at 25 yards on her first shot. Jeeze, I hate it when she schools me, lol.

Other than that, very pleased with this auto and I think she's going to get one of her own. I guess that'll mean more humiliation for me, heh heh. But then, she doesn't know about the trigger work now does she?

Tom

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.