Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The information provided here is for infomation only. Do not attempt to perform the following tasks without a clear understanding of firearm ignition systems, shop practices, and specific firearm peculiarites. Your stupidity is your own responsibility.

Photo description: Disassembled Sear spring/plunger assy.

Replaced NEOS sear plunger spring with a 1911 series 80 sear coil spring (0.085" dia). Ensure assembled sear plunger assy static height is near equivalent to stock height and exerts sufficient pressure to safely engage firing pin hook. Test by partial trigger engagement and rapid slide cycleing.

These procedures reduced a 6 lb NEOS trigger pull to just under 2.5 lb and barely noticeable trigger creep.

Remember what I said about stupidity, so be careful.

·
Registered
55 Posts
From the looks of the 1911 spring it will not slide into the bottom part of the sear plunger. Am I seeing that right? I had it apart and stoned everything which got rid of the creep, but would like to lighten the pull a bit.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi chuckwacker,

Both NEOS and the series 80 coil sear spring are 0.085" dia and will fit in the small spring plunger hole. The NEOS uses heavier gauge wire, both can be trimmed. The BIC flint spring is 0.095" and will sit atop the small dia plunger. Trim til happy (and safe). 2.5 to 3 lb trigger is reasonably easily. Below these numbers, the larger plunger needs clean up inside to remove the drill marks and the spring length becomes very critical (sear reset height). There's one last trick to the sear face but I want to see a couple owners shoot'em first. If the sear mod survives, I'll post the info (hear that n3840h?).

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yup, Ah heerd it 38super. Just post it. With trigger pull at 2 pounds or less, creep and travel are the next things most will want to remove from the equation.

I've had the opportunity to let several folks shoot my Neos after the trigger work. This has sold at least 3 at my dealer's shop.

Truth is, ya can't keep shooters at the range off this gun. Comments like, "Wow, that's a neat looking pistol", and after shooting a few rounds (no one can shoot just one!), " I have to get one of these". I always tip them off about the stock trigger pull issue. I don't do trigger work for anyone but family, so I refer them to this forum.

With about 2 bricks through my Neos, and after closely following 38special's trigger work instructions, it has become apparent that this gun is much more accurate than I am. However, I did manage to nail a gopher at 35 yards with it last week, offhand. Put the dot on his head and he lost his mind. Stingers work well, and I have yet to find ANY .22LR ammo that won't perform flawlessly in the Neos.

So, 38special, what are your thoughts on sear step length? heh heh heh:D

·
Registered
55 Posts
38super, you musta read my mind. I had the gun apart laying on the bench and had rooted through all of our spring assortments with no luck. Then it hit me so I grabbed a BIC out of my toolbox and dissected it. I kinda questioned whether or not the flint spring would work so I just put the original spring back in. I have to order a few gun parts anyway so I'll just get the 1911 spring.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll be real honest chuckwacker,

I like the BIC spring, there's plenty of spring for mistakes, experimenting or more NEOS. They are a soft, compliant and cheap.

n3840h - I think you see what I'm getting at. I know a couple bricks have passed thru the latest trigger mod with no probs (well no one's squawking). Sometimes the sear causes the firing pin to move back before release, not all NEOS do this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.