Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got the 4.5" Neos to go along with the 6".Had them both at the range today. To be honest I can't tell much difference between them. About the only thing is the 4.5" has a little better balance. The 6" is a little more nose heavy. When shooting rapid fire the rise in the barrel is just a little less and lets you get back on target a hair faster.

Is this common that there is so little difference?

·
Registered
90 Posts
With both barrels being so short (compared to a rifle, anyway) there isn't going to be much difference in velocity or accuracy. The longer sight radius on the 6" barrel helps me quite a bit since my eyesight isn't the best but otherwise I don't find any difference between them, either.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Hmmm, I noticed a huge difference. I'm pretty picky with my firearms, though.

The 4.5" with red-dot weighs about the same as my 6" with iron sights....but the balance is MUCH better with the 4.5"

I originally opted for the 6" barrel due to the longer sight radius and sexier look....but shortly after, I picked up a 4.5" barrel for my significant lady friend.

Now, I actually regret ever buying the 6."
The 4.5" is the one that gets all the use, because it is just feels better in the hand.

In terms of muzzle flip, I can tell the 6" has less flip...but with the red-dot, followup shots are still faster with the shorter barrel.

/shrug
Different strokes for different folks, I guess!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm, I noticed a huge difference. I'm pretty picky with my firearms, though.

The 4.5" with red-dot weighs about the same as my 6" with iron sights....but the balance is MUCH better with the 4.5"

I originally opted for the 6" barrel due to the longer sight radius and sexier look....but shortly after, I picked up a 4.5" barrel for my significant lady friend.

Now, I actually regret ever buying the 6."
The 4.5" is the one that gets all the use, because it is just feels better in the hand.

In terms of muzzle flip, I can tell the 6" has less flip...but with the red-dot, followup shots are still faster with the shorter barrel.

/shrug
Different strokes for different folks, I guess!
So far my wife likes the shorter barrel better. If it stays this way I will probably put either a red dot or scope on the 6" Now that the rear cross pins have been replace on the sight rail I'm sure it will work just fine. I'm afraid the 4.5" might never get optics installed. She just likes the iron sights because the gun will be lighter. She shoots better with the short barrel. I found no difference when I shot it. The groups remained about the same with either gun. I guess if you like something you might do better with it. It must be a mind thing.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
So far my wife likes the shorter barrel better. If it stays this way I will probably put either a red dot or scope on the 6" Now that the rear cross pins have been replace on the sight rail I'm sure it will work just fine. I'm afraid the 4.5" might never get optics installed. She just likes the iron sights because the gun will be lighter. She shoots better with the short barrel. I found no difference when I shot it. The groups remained about the same with either gun. I guess if you like something you might do better with it. It must be a mind thing.
...and a comfort thing. If it feels, fits, and balances better it'll be more pleasant to shoot.

As for your wife liking iron sights--that's a GOOD thing!
If she can shoot well with iron sights then she's doing very well. I feel that optics are detrimental to improving your shooting ability, more often than not (especially in terms of handguns).

Happy shooting!

·
Registered
114 Posts
We just bought a 4.5" barrel from an acquaintance, and at first I did not think the difference was very dramatic. However, after switching the barrels back and forth a few times, the shorter barrel quickly grew on me as the balance and compact size definitely made it handier. The Neos is, after all, more of a plinker than a dedicated target pistol.

Most importantly, Mrs. FishKepr tried it and immediately preferred the shorter barrel.

Like bscman, if we were to do it over again we would choose the 4.5" barrel to start with.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I plan to get another NEOS, but this time with the 6" bbl.
Then I'll have one of each and be able to use both without having to stop to change the bbl. over.
Having the little 21A gives me another short bbl. option.
All I need is a Carbine Kit...:D

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Hey guys,
I'd never really looked at a Neos closely or apart before--that barrel pin and extractor area look just like the High Standard Trophy's I have--and I love them (have 3 now) The rail and rear sight is nearly the same as an HS Victor
Is the Neos also a derivative of the Colt Woodsman, High Standard type of action and barrel (I think going back to a Browning design?)

I also like the slant grip like a Luger/Ruger Mk I or II and slant grip HS guns
On a scale of 1 to 10, without browsing all your posts here, how do a few of you rate these guns on a scale of 1 to 10? Anything you DON"T care for on them?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I do have a complaint with the Neos. I wish they made different size grips for them. If the grip was larger I think I would shoot it a lot more often. My wife likes the grip size it has just fine. I have a total of 10 magazines for them so you can shoot a total of 100 rounds before reloading. The biggest problem for failure to feed problems has been due to not inserting the magazine fully. Cheaper ammo leads to more dud rounds. This pretty much sums up all my major complaints.

Just remember to bring extra ammo to the range if you take one of these with you. You can burn through a lot more ammo then you think in no time at all.:AR15firin

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The biggest problem for failure to feed problems has been due to not inserting the magazine fully.
I put some foam rubber weather strip type material across the bottom of the mag and it helps when seating them. I think my Uncle told me about it, he saw it somewhere . . .

I get stuck on the .22lrs. If I need to do anything with a centerfire I better do it before I hop on the .22's

·
Registered
296 Posts
The only problem I have with my neos and the wife has one too is they burn through too much ammo and they are not picky which brand I use.
I use the cheap stuff when Wallmart gets it though, goldens and federal bulk paks.:bthumb:

·
Registered
19 Posts
i have 3 neos 1 4.5in 1 6in and 1 7in and i picked up a carbin kit yesterday.
i shoot t 4.5 mostly :D it has good balance and a decent trigger and will emptie a box of ammo very quick:D i do fine th longer barrles to be more accurat but not by much.

i went to the gun shop yesterday to get some mags for a 10/22 john tells me look at what came in yesterday ,he hands me a carbine kit :bthumb::bthumb:
which i bought and installed in 3 min. went to range and @50 yrds it made 1/2 to 3/4 groups with the factory sights .front sight is fiber optic rear is peep type i found it fast to aquire target had duaghter bring me a spare eotec which srunk my groups to 1/[email protected] 3/4 at 100yrds i fired 400 rds and my buddies shot 100 more :D:D:D:D:D we all like this set up before i left i reassembled the pistol barrle on it it held its zero:bthumb:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.